TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 30, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Windows 10: Archive through May 30, 2016 users admin

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 10:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Naja, what model it is? I am going traveling May 5 for three weeks, and am looking for a lightweight netbook for the trip. I have a wonderful 2.2 pound $3000 (original price) Sony Vaio VGN-TX850P 11"laptop that I dearly love, but it is very slow compared to today's laptops. Plus, when I got it out this month, after it having been dormant for 6-8 months after I successfully installed Windows 7 Ultimate on it, it won't download or install Windows updates. That is, apparently, a solvable problem, if I had time to devote to it. But my trip is coming up in a month, I have a lot of other stuff to do between now and then, and I would LOVE to have a snappy netbook I could take along, and worry about the other stuff later.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 11:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
This is the one I have, Juju. It's an Asus EEE pc 1015pn. I upgraded the ram to 2 gigs.

https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Eee_PC_1015PN/

It has to be at least 4 or 5 years since I got it. I don't know if they even make them anymore.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, April 08, 2016 - 8:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Naja. I got an 8" Eee like the first day they came out. I was thrilled to pieces, but then it was so small I couldn't read it, so I returned it and thereafter got the Vaio, which was WAY too expensive, even used. I will look on eBay to see if yours is on there.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Friday, April 08, 2016 - 9:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I couldn't find the exact one but here are some that are similar to the one that Naja is talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Eee+PC+&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AEee+PC+

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 08, 2016 - 11:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Those are so cute, but I don't think they have touch screens?

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, April 08, 2016 - 11:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
No, it's not touchscreen.

Juju, if you get one, don't get one with lesser specs than one I posted. I would feel bad if it didn't perform like I said.

Plus, look on ebay for the 2 gig ram stick to upgrade it yourself. It's only 20 bucks or so. It only has one ram slot so you have to replace the 1 gig stick with a 2 gig stick.

One thing about upgrading the netbook I have to win10 from win7 starter- I always watched stuff from the CBS site on it, but as the CBS site advanced, their videos sometimes stuttered on the netbook no matter how good my internet connection was. But now with win10 and the apps you can install from the store, the CBS shows play smooth as butter. The shows play great when played through the apps.

Downloaded HD movies always played great, before and after. I lent it to friends going camping and loaded it up with scary movies and they loved it :-) The battery lasts forever.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, April 08, 2016 - 11:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
eta: it wasn't really camping :-) It was going to a modern cabin. The netbook has HDMI and they connected it to the tv to play the movies :-)

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 1:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I got a message on my computer that covered the whole screen and it said they could not charge the battery. I was to hit 'F2'

I did. The message then said 'We cannot find your battery.'

I have a new Dell Inspiration 15 7000 series.

I always use the computer plugged in.

There have been no recent power losses. Is this something to worry about?

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc, put this into the Google search box and see if you can find somebody asking a question like yours. I do know that an icon can appear in your system icon tray (bottom right of the screen) that indicates plugged in, not charging.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 8:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Oopsie, I forgot to copy the phrase: error message Inspiron 15 cannot charge battery, hit F2, we cannot find your battery

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 8:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Jmm and Naja. I did go look for Naja's model on eBay and also found some similar but not exact model. Then I looked at the specs, and it is actually heavier than my sweet little Vaio. So yesterday I dug in to try to solve the Windows Update not working, and the heavy CPU use. I spent ALL day on it, finally decided to reinstall the OS, had a failure with a boot disk anr system image that I had previously successfully installed, broke into a sweat, them remembered that I had made my own boot disk and system image shortly after I had first successfully installed Windows 7. I started that one at 9 pm, finished at midnight (because the CPU was going at 100% from whatever the problem was that I was trying to solve), checked it out, problem still there!!! then decided to go for broke and downloaded Windows 10 (couldn't get it on updates because updates not working).

So this morning (after Bigdog cheerfully woke me up at 6, since we had somewhere to be at 7), I had a couple extra minutes and started the Windows 10 install, went on the errand, then walked a couple miles, came back to find Windows almost installed, checking for Updates (is anybody else saying uh oh?). Yep, that installation failed, couldn't do updates. So, I ran some more errands after breakfast, returned around noon, got DEADLY serious about solving the problem. Ran anti-viruses out the wanker, turned off automatic updates, was downloading stuff, while running task manager and every 5-6 minutes killing the unknown 1,348,764 size process that was taking all the memory. I was at my wit's end and found a kid/young man in India who said to empty the Event Viewer Log. Yeah, right, like this is going to work, and will probably destroy whatever evidence I might have of what is wrong. How could that possibly work? Did I mention wit's end? I looked into it, and the machine offered to copy and save the logs, so I copied and proceeded. It worked!!!

Later this afternoon, over a period of hours I downloaded, installed, and configured 118 updates! Looks like the sweet little Vaio is going back to Europe in May. Yay!!!

Oh, and I have a Windows 10 upgrade icon in my System Tray, LOL.

I think I should go to bed early tonight.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 8:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Dell is known to have problems with batteries. We finally ditched them altogether and switched to Lenovo. We had 5 different laptops that all ended up useless unless plugged in b/c even replacement batteries wouldn't charge after a year or so of use.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 9:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Oh, and while I was multi-tasking sometime in the past few days, like reading in the car while Bigdog drove us somewhere, I had an AARP magazine that noted seniors who use a computer just one hour a week, derive a big mental benefit from it. If that's true, I must be the mental equivalent of on steroids after my past two days.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 5:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you Juju and Teach

Teach, I really don't need the battery to work, but I got that same message again today and it took awhile to get rid of it.

I kept hitting F1 and F2 and esc and finally go out of it.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 9:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I have always loved Dell and have never had any problems with any of the ten or so I have owned. Other people seem to think that is quite a bizarre experience.

Well, and maybe the itty bitty Vaio is NOT going to Europe in May. This morning I got cocky and decided to download and install Windows 10, and it took all day, was at 75% installation when I went to eat dinner at 6 pm. I returned at 9 pm, and the screeen was black, and it would not wake up, and the Off button was frozen. Trying to revert to Windows 7 now, but currently have a black screen. Aiiieeeee.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 10:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Huh.. couldn't ittty bitty VAIO go to Europe dressed in Windows 7? (Assuming you revive it, of course)

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Monday, April 11, 2016 - 4:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Oh no, Juju!! I hope it's something minor. Since you helped me revert back to W7 months ago, I keep ignoring their prompts to reinstall their flippin' W10!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, April 11, 2016 - 10:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I managed to revert to Windows 7! Oh, thank you, great giftie! And thank you also for good vibes from my internet buddies who are but figments of my imagination. (Rupertbear2, I have been here at TVCH since the very beginning, and about two years in concluded that all the people here are people I have imagined, hence figments)

The Windows 7 reversion seems to have worked. I have set the itty bitty Vaio and the adapter and the anti-drop case out in the hallway, next to the carry-on case and the possible luggage choices to go with us on a two week cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton, England and then a week more in a rental car to Edinburgh and places in between.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, May 13, 2016 - 9:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Do you guys remember how scary "the blue screen of death" was on old windows'? Well now they made them so friendly and not scary....hahaha

This one isn't mine.... mine had a different error name at the bottom.
http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/..../.png

I love how they give you the problem in a nice succinct way that will be easy to look up the solution online.

Mine was a driver error.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Yep, those blue screens of death were just terrifying, have not seen this new error message. Which reminds me I have TWO laptops I need to get up and running again, both of them small travel laptops I could have used on this past trip, but didn't get to messing with them in time.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 10:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Well that W10 shite welcome screen greeted me tonight. Hoping to revert to my W7 once I figure it out. Advice PLEASE!

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Monday, May 30, 2016 - 3:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Did you install it Mameblanche, it pops up on my screen daily. I just X out of it, I hate change,

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, May 30, 2016 - 5:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Hiya Chewi, It took an hour and a half on the phone with my computer guru but we got it off my computer. Of course tonight DH tells me he'd removed it on his personal computer AND the ones at work. Of course he omitted to mention that to me last night when I needed the help. (He was on his way to bed.) Aargh! Anyhow all's well that ends well.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, May 30, 2016 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Not sure why but the solitaire collection app won't open. I have no way to uninstall it, it won't download from the "store" site, and it's bugging me. I had even made my own themed cards...first world problems.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Monday, May 30, 2016 - 7:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Mame...my hero, Juju, showed me how to revert back to W7 on this page here...just scroll down about 2/3 of the way and you'll see her post.

https://tvclubhouse.com/forum/read.php?file=/9200/14955944.html&lm=1441865266

Lol, Juju...we're figments, huh?