TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 07, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Windows 10: Archive through April 07, 2016 users admin

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 8:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/what-is-task-manager

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/323527

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/t/taskmana.htm

It sounds like the McAfee folks did not completely kill your malware infection. I would recommend you call them back and let them know things are still going on.

Yes, I power my laptop completely off every night.

If you were more computer savvy, I would recommend downloading, installing, updating, and running Malwarebytes free malware detector and killer. I have sworn by it for years.

However, if you are paying McAfee for their software, then you are probably better off having them help you with the support you require.

Hope you get it straightened out soon.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 5:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc - There are so many possibilities about what could be going on with your computer it's almost impossible to cover all of them here. Certainly it sounds like you have or had some malware that had embedded itself in your computer and hopefully McAfee finally got rid of that. As for the long shutdown that could be a myriad of things from a long update to some residual issue from the malware to something actually wrong with your computer that's not software related. Like I said the possibilities are numerous and too hard from a distance to say it's this or that. As for shutting down I always do a shutdown and never use sleep mode.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 6:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you Juju and Mack. I enjoy my computer but I really don't know what to do when it acts up.

You friends here are so helpful!

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 7:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
By the way Task Manager is a program in Windows that allows the user to shutdown running programs on the computer. Sometimes a program or piece of software will not run properly so the user can simultaneously hit the "Alt", "Control", and "Delete" buttons on their keyboard. A pop up window will appear and the user can pick which program to stop or shutdown. Often the Task Manager will actually show, though not always, that a program is "not responding" which makes it easy to pick it for shutdown. Sometimes even that won't help but there is also the option to just shut the computer down. A hanging program can put the computer in a loop where you're stuck and can't get anything to work so forcing a shutdown is pretty much your only option. Of course the hope is then that when you turn it back on the system will "fix" itself. On the whole computers do a pretty good job of fixing themselves but there are times when even a savvy tech can't fix a corrupted computer without doing a complete wipe and reload of the operating system. That's really an extreme measure and a lot less common today than 10 or so years ago.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thanks Mack, I guess what I had was a complete wipe and reload. The McAfee tech was working on my computer for about 2 hours.

I just tried the 'shut down' and if went off quickly. The computer turned back on when I asked it too.

I think I am still in the WEB TV generation. I loved my WEB TV, but that went belly up.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 10:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
My mother was a Web TV person. When that went away I gave her a stripped down laptop that my son and I had made as easy and foolproof as we could. Turns out my mother could and did find ways to break, tie up, and basically turn a computer into a doorstop. Give the lady an anvil and a rubber mallet and she would return the anvil broken in 24 hours. Replaced the laptop with an iPad and she even froze that up. Mom's solution to hitting the wrong key was to hit more keys until there was no way to figure how she got where she was or how to get out of it.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 11:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I like your mother Mack!

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 10:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
There is one thing that I really dislike about Windows 10. It will not let you bypass having a password. It requires it to be at least 8 characters, with symbols/Upper/Lower case characters. Now when the screen saver/goes to sleep, you have to enter the password to get back in. Previously, I never used a password and don't see the need now. Microsoft should give that option.

Can anyone tell me how to by-pass this silly password requirement?

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 10:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I have Windows 10 and don't have to use a password to get back in from 'sleep'.

My password is only 4 letters.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 10:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
You can set up a 4 letter PIN, which is what Dogdoc is referring to.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
I don't remember how I figured out what password it wanted the first time I had to use it, but it uses my Hotmail password, which is six letters.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 11:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Yes, thank you Kookliebird, it is a PIN. I also have a password and can use either at will.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 11:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the help, I will try that!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Actually, I think it's a 4 number PIN, but it will tell you that. I just did this last night on my brand new computer, which is how I know.

I've always had a password on my computer, even when it never left my house. We have the same at work, so I'm probably used to typing a password in to 'awaken' it. I do like the 4 digit PIN idea though. Very quick, like an ATM.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Has anyone running Windows 10 received this message: "Display Driver for HD Graphics has stopped responding and has recovered." The screen freezes making shut down necessary.

How to fix or prevent this?

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 7:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Have not seen that message.

Mack

07-22-2002

Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 7:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
KitKat - Hopefully your display driver issue has resolved itself by now. Have to say it's not a Windows 10 wide issue so that means your driver is out of date or has been corrupted for some reason. Typically Microsoft works with the various graphic card providers and cooperates with them by providing their updates through the Windows Update but not always or all the time. If the problem persists then you'll have to go to the website for your graphics card and download the most recent drivers.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the help, Mack. I have gone to the Microsoft site to check for updates, but that isn't the problem. Will now try your suggestion. Thanks!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Has anybody else gotten their computer messed up since receiving the message "I'm Cortana, ask me anything".

It is Windows 10 and MSN doing it. It took away my Internet Explorer.!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc, you probably still have Internet Explorer. Windows 10 has a new browser called Edge, and Microsoft made its icon look very similar to Internet Explorer's, I suppose hoping to trick you into thinking you are using IE, when you are really using Edge, which comes with Cortana.

Go down to the start button and enter Internet Explorer in the searchbox, and you should find IE again.

Then when you find Internet Explorer, instead of opening it, right click on the icon and choose Open File Location. Then when you find Internet Explorer's file location, instead of opening it, right click on the icon, and keeping the right mouse button depressed, drag the icon onto the desktop, A menu should then pop up, and you will want to choose Make Shortcut Here. Then you can open IE from the desktop without searching for it.

If you want to go further, look for the icon that is a blue E, that sort of looks like IE, but is not. That is Edge browser. If it is down on your taskbar, right click it, and choose Un-pin from taskbar. If it is on your desktop, left click and drag it to the Recycle Bin. That will just remove the icon from your desktop, not uninstall the program. That way, you won't be confusing Edge with IE, if you have its icons hidden.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, December 28, 2015 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you Juju. Before I read what you wrote I called McAffee. It took awhile but they fixed it.

There was a problem with my computer accepting updates and that caused my other problems.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, February 08, 2016 - 10:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Check this out....I learned something new and interesting.

My desktop had windows 7 32 bit, but I decided when I upgraded it to Win 10, I wanted to upgrade it to 64 bit (the specs were fine). But in order to do that, you have to upgrade from a 64 bit version of windows in the first place.

So I decided to install win7 64 bit from my retail disk, but my DVD burner just wouldn't recognize the disk. For some reason it wouldn't recognize any disk. So I sat back and thought on it for a couple minutes and I thought this idea might work.

I set the DVD burner on the laptop to "shared", and wireless installed win7 64 bit to the desktop from the disk in the laptop. I couldn't believe it worked!

Anyway, all is well. I got the desktop upgraded Win 10 64 bit and it's running well on the desktop, even the DVD burner. I think the driver was screwed up somehow.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 7:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Wow that is a cool technique.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 10:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
You da computer wizard, Naja!! Yay!! What a good idea!

You don't know where I could get a Windows7 reinstallation DVD for an HP Pavilion laptop, do you? Current OS is Vista, but I think if I had a reinstallation DVD for Windows7, I could put Windows7 on and then upgrade that laptop to Windows 10. Nothing urgent, as we have five other laptops in the house, all of them working fine.

Just a notion and not anything I am urgently looking to do, as I seem to travel constantly and play catch-up with everything else the rest of the time.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 12:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I keep forgetting to mention this.

I have a 10 inch Asus netbook that came with Windows 7 starter installed.

I upgraded it to windows 10 and the darn thing works better than ever. I thought for sure it would slow it down, but now the netbook is like I have new wonderful gadget in the house.