TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 14, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: QUICK QUESTIONS: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 14, 2016 users admin

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Monday, December 21, 2015 - 10:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Dipo, can't help you with the stew. But if you like shrimp, they are great when boiled in light beer or fruity ale. Peel-em and eat-em, yum!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, December 21, 2015 - 1:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Kitkat. One of my friends said to use Guinness. I was thinking a dark stout would be appropriate.

Thanks Landileigh, that makes it easy.

Ruperbear2, I don't often cook with anything more than some white wine, thanks for that link.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 9:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Guiness stout is great for cooking. It makes stews richer, and I use it both for beer bread as well as a Guiness chocolate cake that has a whisky frosting.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, January 25, 2016 - 6:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I always thought Minestrone soup was a vegetarian dish, but the recipe I am making is it definitely not, LOL.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 8:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I've never heard of meat in minestrone either. What is being added?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 12:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
The recipe called for pancetta and used beef stock. It turned out good, but I just thought it was weird.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 8:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Interesting.

Florin

08-27-2006

Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 3:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Florin a private message Print Post    
Dipo in my stew I usually use a cup burgundy wine. I might try a stout beer next time.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 5:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Florin, I do usually use wine too, but the one with beer turned out great as well.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 9:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Anybody tried the Insta Pot yet? I ordered one online and it came today...hope springs eternal that someday I will be motivated to prepare home-cooked healthy meals...LOL!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ahhh, I didn't know what it was, after a search I see that it is a pressure cooker. Haven't ever used one, so I can't help you on this one.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 5:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Pressure cookers are fabulous for cooking meals quickly and making some meats more tender. I've had one for donkeys years. lol

Christy358

07-10-2007

Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 12:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
they are amazing for beans

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Have never used one but would like to try.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
It's a great time-saver, GAL.

A pressure cooker can be an amazing time saver. Food prepared in a pressure cooker is ready in about one-third the time of cooking on the stovetop or in the oven. Quick cooking also translates into less vitamin and mineral loss, so it's a snap to cook the hearty vegetables and beans that you might otherwise avoid.

How They Work

Pressure cookers work by forming an airtight seal, so when the liquid comes to a boil, pressure builds up. The trapped steam causes the temperature of the liquid to rise. Normally, water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit. With a pressure cooker, that temperature can be raised to 250 degrees Fahrenheit, resulting in much faster cooking.

Safety Measures

Old-fashioned pressure cookers were a source of kitchen horror stories: Projectile lids flying through the air, ceilings spattered with what was meant to be dinner — not to mention the chugging and hissing noises that were constantly reminding you of the inherent dangers involved in this cooking method. The new generation of pressure cookers is a breed apart. Safety features found in all new pressure cookers include:

» Lids that must be locked before the pressure rises

» An expanding rubber gasket that makes it impossible to open the pot before the pressure has been released

» An over-pressure plug and/or back up vents

Getting Started

If you are going to own just one pressure cooker, we suggest you get a large one — about 6 quarts. You will only be filling it two thirds of the way at most, and only half full when cooking beans. Most recipes were developed in this size pot as it's the most versatile. Smaller pressure cookers are good for side dishes.

Familiarize yourself with the owner's manual for your pressure cooker — each brand is slightly different and they do take some getting used to.

Care and Storage

To protect your pressure cooker investment, wash it carefully, paying special attention to the rubber seal and the vent. When storing it, the lid should be placed upside down on top on the pot or set on the side.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/quick-and-easy/articles/how-to-use-a-pressure-cooker.html

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 7:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Hey that's some great information there, Rupertbear!!! I will take Colossus to Bed, Bath, Beyond and look at some this weekend. He'll probably use it more than I will (am I the only one with a husband who has his own glass double-boiler?)

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Just don't get this particular model...

Jewels

09-22-2000

Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 11:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jewels a private message Print Post    
I have a Cuisinart Pressure Cooker that I got for Christmas and I LOVE it!

Holly

07-21-2001

Friday, February 26, 2016 - 8:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
I got gifted one years ago and it scared the holy bejesus out of me. It went into the first yard sale I had.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, March 11, 2016 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
So I've had my Instant Pot for almost a month and it hasn't been plugged in yet. I'm debating between sending it back or giving it to my niece for her birthday because she actually likes to cook.

If they would only invent a device that shops, preps and turns itself on I would buy it...LOL!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, March 11, 2016 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Roxip have you thought about those companies that deliver the meal with instructions for cooking?

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Friday, March 11, 2016 - 10:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Dipo, my daughters boyfriend did that as a gift. They get one meal a week, at first my kid thought it was a waste of money but she says they actually look forward to it now, she says its fool proof and they have fun preparing it together, and its yummy.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
The person who is currently living with me (who has long outstayed her welcome by the way) had several of those meals delivered from a friend. I am a simple eater and they were all fairly elaborate. She said they were good though.

I just am a lazy eater. I would rather forage around and eat crackers and cheese or some kind of snack than cook a meal.

I did plug in the instant pot today though and I know know that it heats up and blows steam...LOL! My daughter is threatening to try it out tomorrow night.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
hahahahaha, I know what you mean I have gotten to where I don't want to make very elaborate meals myself.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, March 14, 2016 - 5:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I don't know how to cook. Never learned -- never had much interest. I haven't turned on my stove top or oven for 2 - 3 years. But I don't starve. Favorite meal every other night is 100% whole wheat pasta cooked in a Fasta Pasta in the microwave, plain cooked chicken (skinned/boned breast cut into small pieces and cooked in a crock pot), onion cut-up and carmelized in a crock pot, olive oil, and a bottled sauce or dry seasoning for flavor. Mixing in some olive oil is important. Gives me the fat I crave. My total cholesterol number is on the high side, but doc said it is negated by my HIGH HDL number. HIGH HDL number is due to the olive oil. It is good for you.

Roxie and Dipo, do you use crock pots?