TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 24, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Windows 10: Archive through November 24, 2015 users admin

Kmm

10-07-2005

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kmm a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc, go to start (windows icon in lower left corner) click on All Apps, scroll all the way to the bottem (they're listed in alphabetical order) click on down arrow next to Windows System...control panel is hiding there

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 6:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Another way of finding something is to right click on the windows start icon, choose "search" from the menu, and type in what you want. In this case "control panel".

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I think a couple of us reported upstream in this thread that the minute we installed Windows 10 we got that pop-up that we had a fatal error and we MUST call an 800 number immediately.

Yes, found it at Monday, August 31, 2015 - 10:09 pm. When I first used the Edge browser is when that message appeared. I have since reverted my first laptop back to Windows 7 and have installed windows 10 on my backup laptop, but come to think of it, I have never even tried to use the Edge browser after that first harrowing experience.

I could get out my Windows 10 computer and experimentally open Edge, but my Juno external e-mail has gone blotto and has erased my twenty years worth of dozens of folders and placed 7000 saved messages all into ONE folder and marked them all as unread. Heh, it just always something. I believe I will be using the second computer to sort out the 7000 unread messages. Luckily I had a late September back-up of all e-mail and folders, so I think I can just sort by date and delete everything before Sept. 27.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 8:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Juju, if you are talking about the whole page warning telling you to call an 800 number, it's a scam. Just close up and get out of it, and there's no harm done. Sometimes to get out of it you have to open the task manager and right click close the browser from there. But it doesn't leave anything behind.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
ya ha, I just looked it up apparently there is one that is browser extension. Sorry about that.

But there is also a fake out one that is nothing.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 6:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Kmm I found the Control Panel! I don't have Norton any more. Is McAfee a good system? Should I get it?

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 6:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Naja, I did get the whole page warning and couldn't get out of it. The 800# got me to Symantec. I hung up on the guy.

Where is the task manager?

Thank you.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 6:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
get task manager by pressing control + alt + delete simultaneously

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 7:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm sure that wasn't actually Symantec that you were talking to on the phone. It was a scam.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 7:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc - I'm still not convinced that the 800# actually got you to Symantec. Yes Symantec owns Norton but Symantec doesn't typically market itself as Symantec but instead relies on the Norton name. It also doesn't make sense that what is probably the largest Internet security company would let itself get involved in selling their software through what basically is malware and the very thing they supposedly are in business to fight.

As to picking McAfee or Norton I can't really say one is better than the other. I've been using Norton since day one, some 25 years or so without suffering any significant attacks on my computers. That said I know other computer owners who swear by McAfee and are totally happy with it. Either is probably a good product.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 8:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you Tishla and Jimmer and Mack again.

I just clicked on Microsoft Edge and that giant message is still there. It is an 888 number that I called. Error 33.

Should I get the task manager and close the browser or wait till my nephew comes to visit in 2 weeks. I am afraid I will do something wrong.

I think I will download Norton today before anything else happens.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 8:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Use the task manager and force close the browser if necessary.

Mack's right in saying that Norton and McAfee are both good anti-virus products. There are also some free products that are good as well

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 8:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Personally I'd close Edge with the task manager. You can't "break" anything using the task manager to close a program, it's not uninstalling it it's just shutting down the program. I'd then use the older Internet Explorer to buy and download either Norton or McAfee. From there, once the security program gets itself all installed, I'd let it run a full scan of the computer. That may or may not clean out the malware but it's smart to do that once you have new security software installed. I never ever never would surf the Internet or open email without security software.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 8:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Well, and I believe Windows 10 comes with anti-virus software of its own that is probably turned on by default.

Kmm

10-07-2005

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 11:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kmm a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc, happy to have been able to help
Anti-virus wise, I'm not sure. It seems to depend on who you ask...like Juju said, Windows 10 has an anti-virus program, I think it's called Windows Defender...I don't really know if that's good enough protection or not.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 7:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you everybody!

I went to Microsoft Edge to do that close the browser thing, but today I got on line with it. I am on line now with the Edge.

I looked into downloading the McAfee protection but there are so many choices.

Juju, my computer came with a trial McAffee which ran out 45 days ago.

I am not sure what protection I need. I never have to save documents.

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 8:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I looked at McAfee and my recommendation would be at least their middle product (McAfee Internet Security) because of the email anti-spam feature which is not available in the basic package. As for Windows Defender I'll have to say I'm not a big advocate of that program as it's pretty basic. I don't have any reference to point to other than my son, who was an senior Microsoft executive until just recently, saying it was just OK but not very robust. Whatever way anybody decides to go I have to say I personally do everything I reasonably can to protect our desktops, laptops, and our files. I figure the $50 to $80 a year I pay for security software is a minimal investment against the hundreds if not thousands we have invested in equipment not to mention the intangible value of our files.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 8:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you Mack!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 1:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Well, I have McAfee. I got it by calling their help number.

The man was very nice. It took awhile and was complicated by the fact that the wind knocked out the power to the phone and internet several times.

Thank you everybody for your help!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Yay Dogdoc!!!

Mack

07-22-2002

Friday, November 13, 2015 - 5:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Great!

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I hadn't seen anything about it, and still really don't know exactly what is involved, but our two big desktops are going through what appears to be a major Windows 10 update this morning. What little I've been able to find on the Internet is that this is the first major update to 10 and not just a security patch or other such minor update. After I started up my desktop and saw the update waiting I turned on my wife's machine and the update was also available for hers. So far both have been cranking on the update for an hour plus and still only showing about 30% done. We have pretty robust desktops so taking this long tells me it is indeed a significant update/upgrade though whether or not we'll notice the difference will have to wait.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
OK. All done after about two hours. Can't say if that's typical but it's what my two major machines took. On the surface I don't see any difference or notice any performance changes. Guess that's good because it means hopefully nothing is broke.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the 'heads up' Mack.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 9:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
What is a Task Manager.

I had another 'attack' on my computer. One of those messages about having to call a special number. I called McAfee. They fixed the problem. It was a malware and I wasn't covered for that. I am now. They worked on it for two hours yesterday.

Last night I went to 'power' and then 'shut down' mode.

The computer couldn't shut off. That little circle kept whirling and whirling. I final shut it off manually, but when I turned it back on the 'shutting down' was the only thing I could get.

This morning when I turned the computer on I got a black screen. I hit some keys and closed the lid a couple times and it finally started up.

Is it safe to 'shut down' or should I just go to 'sleep mode' instead. The Best Buy told me to use the shut down at night whenever I bought the computer.