TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 10, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Windows 10: Archive through November 10, 2015 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 6:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
When I clicked the icon to do my update, the regular windows update area is where it led me.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Seems like it did that for me on the first upgrade I tried, Naja, (the one I reverted to Windows7), which is why I just let it spin and spin on the attempted upgrade of the second laptop, did restarts, all to no avail, all the time expecting that after it did its checking, I would go to the upgrade. And then I got the idea to go to Updates and see if I had to download an update or something, and THEN the upgrade started. It was a bit strange. I still have two more laptops I can experiment with. Heh, which doesn't count Bigdog's two laptops. Oh, I think one of them is Vista, therefore not eligible.

Csnog

07-18-2002

Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 7:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
Windows 10 for the future upgrade to 10 is probably installed on your computer already through their normal monthly patches.

It's named KB3035583.

When Microsoft decides it wants too, it's going to do it automatically unless you un-install KB3035583 until you decide.
Some people have reported bugs in 10. Some are OK with it.
Windows 10 takes up a lot space on an older computer or if you have lackluster internet connections. The Windows 10 upgrade package is 3.5 to 6 gigabytes.

You can go to your updates and see if it's been installed

Sillypickles

06-29-2015

Friday, September 25, 2015 - 7:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sillypickles a private message Print Post    
I have been working like a dog trying to get this upgrade to work. grrrr

Found one solution for those of you who keep trying to download and still getting errors.

go to:

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

and delete all the files in that "download" folder. Sometimes one or more of the files that downloaded can become corrupt,therefore, failing to install.

Now the problem that I am having seems to be that I have a dual boot with Linux as my primary/default OS. Now I need to figure out how to make Windows the default. I have grub and might be able to tinker with that to set Windows as default. I will post the question in another "technical" thread as soon as I can figure out how to pose it.

ARE there any Linux users here on TVCH?

Draheid
Board Administrator

09-08-2001

Friday, September 25, 2015 - 9:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Draheid a private message Print Post    
From an answer to this question located here:

You can change the grub default boot entry from the command line without having to install any additional tool. This won't change the order in the list but it will allow a different OS to boot by default, which sounds like what you may want anyway.

First, make a backup copy of /etc/default/grub. In case something goes wrong, you can easily revert to the known-good copy:

cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.bak

Then edit the file using vim or the text editor of your choice:

vim /etc/default/grub

Find the line that contains

GRUB_DEFAULT=0

and set it to

GRUB_DEFAULT=x

where x is the index of grub menu item to which you would like to boot to by default. Note that the menu items are zero-indexed. That means that the first item in the list is 0 and that the sixth item is actually 5. So to boot to the sixth item in the list, the line would read:

GRUB_DEFAULT=5

If you forgot the order of the items, take a look at /boot/grub/grub.cfg. Each menu entry is specified by a line of type:

menuentry 'Ubuntu' [options] {

You can also chose the default by the name instead of index, e.g.:

GRUB_DEFAULT='Ubuntu'

if there was a menu entry 'Ubuntu' line on /boot/grub/grub.cfg. This may be a better method, as it does not depend on the order of the entries, which could change.

To use a kernel in the "Previous Linux Versions" sub-menu use:

GRUB_DEFAULT="2>x"

(make sure to include the quotations), where x is the placement of the old kernel on the sub-menu (assuming the "Previous Linux Versions" is third on the main list). Remember that the list always begins counting at 0.

Then build the updated grub menu:

update-grub

Sillypickles

06-29-2015

Friday, September 25, 2015 - 10:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sillypickles a private message Print Post    
Thank you Draheid! I changed the default OS, but it didn't fix the issue.

I then downloaded the "media creation tool" and tried upgraded it that way. Still no go.

I am just wondering if my hardware is compatible, I checked system requirements and I meet those, but there was also this paragraph underneath the requirements section:

To install Windows 10 on your PC, the processor (CPU) must support the following features: Physical Address Extension (PAE), NX, and SSE2. Most CPUs have support for these features, so if you receive this error, it is likely because the NX feature is not enabled on your system.

How do I find out if I have PAE and NX?

Jmm

08-15-2002

Friday, September 25, 2015 - 10:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Sillypickles, he's asleep right now. I'll point him in your direction in the morning.

Sillypickles

06-29-2015

Friday, September 25, 2015 - 11:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sillypickles a private message Print Post    
Thank you Jmm! Not a big deal. I am getting frustrated so I am stopping for the night. Either that or the laptop is going to be thrown out the window.

I, uh, won't ask how you know he's asleep. Doesn't mean I won't wonder, but I just won't ask.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 12:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
LOL. He's my husband.

Sillypickles

06-29-2015

Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 12:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sillypickles a private message Print Post    
Oh, oops!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 8:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
You're getting to know people here better and better, Sillypickles.

Draheid
Board Administrator

09-08-2001

Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Draheid a private message Print Post    
I found this answer HERE :

NX stands for No eXecute and is a technology used in processors to prevent execution of certain types of code. This was originally invented by AMD.

How to enable NX or XD in the BIOS

This flag can be enabled or disabled only through the BIOS of the computer. In order to enable this flag and make your computer compatible with Windows, follow the steps below:

1. Restart your computer

2. While booting, before the Windows starts, press the key to go to BIOS. The key to open the BIOS is different for different computers. Most computers use the keys F2, F12 or DELETE. Try each of these keys and see if you can get to the BIOS. If none of those keys work, then one of the tricks I do is, press all the function keys (F1 to F12) repeatedly on the computer while starting the computer. Hopefully, that will work.

3. In the BIOS, go to Security tab.

4. Look for the NX or XD flag. In case of Intel processors, you will see the XD flag and in case of AMD processors, you will see the NX flag. If that is not enabled, toggle the option and enable it.

5. Save the settings and exit the BIOS settings.

6. Restart your computer.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 6:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Geek talk from Draheid!! It doesn't get any better than that. Love you, Dra and Jmm.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 9:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Love you too, Juju.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 5:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
It is like stepping into a different world. lol

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 11:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
I upgraded to 10 a few weeks ago, and everything was working fine. This morning I turned on my computer and all I got was the initial Windows 10 screen. It won't let me get to the place where I put in my password. After a few minutes it just says that it lost the connection and the screen goes black. Any ideas of what might help?

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
My son figured out the fix for me. The power had bleeped off and then back on again during the storm yesterday, but the computer didn't seem to be affected. This evening after it wouldn't let me access the desktop all day, he suggested I unplug the computer from my battery backup, and then unplug the battery backup, then plug them both back in. I don't know why it worked, but it did, so I'm happy!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 8:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That's great, Merry. The old power off/power on and unplug/plug routine. :-)

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
So we are down here in South Padre Island, TX for the winter, and unbeknownst to me, they changed the password to the condo-wide wi-fi. So, that is a very simple thing on Windows 7 - when you try to connect, it tells you the password is wrong, and you can try a different one. And if it does not offer you the opportunity to change the password right there, you can: Open Network Sharing Center, choose Manage Wireless Networks, select the one you need to change, go to its Security tab, change the password, done.

It took me HOURS of messing around, reading articles I googled, then trying things out. Every place I went in Windows10 seemed intent on forcing me to be thoroughly linked up with all of Windows new interconnecting entities and logging in with Facebook and sharing my connections with everyody in the world whose name I ever entered into an addressbook, and I have no intention of doing any of that. So, all roads seemed to lead to a place where I could either share or forget. At the end of my fruitless frustration, I finally watched a foreign language Youtube, which showed the cursor hitting Forget, which apparently is new-speak for Delete. By that time, I was ready to delete everything, so I hit forget, and it apparently deleted the old connection. Then I went back to my wi-fi connection icon, and it detected the network I was trying to connect to as a new network, and since I had deleted it completely, the old password was gone, and I entered the new one. Sheesh!!!

I would say that was a system that definitely was NOT broken, but they "fixed"it anyway.

Oh, and Bigdog recently downloaded Windows10, and it made his fonts all teeny-tiny, just like it did on one of my laptops, but not on an identical second one.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, November 09, 2015 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I have lost Microsoft Edge.

This morning I was surfing and my computer sent me a message that my computer had error 33 and gave me an 800 # that I had to call.

I tried the alt/ctrl/delete. I tried restarting. I had lost control of the computer.

I finally called the number and spoke with a man with a heavy accent. He said I had to sign up with Symantec to save my computer.

I hung up and called Best Buy's geek squad and they talked me through most of the problem. He couldn't get me on line with Edge though, but he did get Internet Explorer to work.

Has anybody else had this happen?

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Monday, November 09, 2015 - 11:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc, I lost Edge yesterday morning. It wasn't a major concern for me because I use Firefox, but it still bothered me that it just disappeared. Later I found it in my apps (didn't see it at first, so I don't know whether I missed it or it came back).

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, November 09, 2015 - 12:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you Merrysea.

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 8:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc - Sounds like you got hit by some kind of hostage malware. Microsoft would never do something to their programs and drive you to a competitor's security software.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you Mack.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I looked up Symantec which is where I was instructed to call by the message on my computer.

Symantec and Norton are the same.

Comcast gives its customers Norton. I am trying to find out if I somehow lost it since I have a new computer.

Comcast told me to go to control panel then program then features to see if it is there.

I can't find my 'control panel'.