TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 26, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: QUICK QUESTIONS: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 26, 2015 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, June 19, 2015 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks, I just wanted some confirmation.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, June 19, 2015 - 5:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I completely understand

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, June 19, 2015 - 5:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I have recently had to keep dinner warm until after 8 p.m. I've just been leaving it on warm in the oven. This is the third night. So far, no problems. I see all kinds of warnings against doing this online, but growing up, my mother did this all the time, and we never got sick. Mom would cook "lunch" for dad to come home and eat at lunchtime, noonish, we would eat then. Then the leftovers would get put in the oven and when dad got home from work after 5, we would eat the leftovers. Happened all the time.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Friday, June 19, 2015 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Heckagirl, I remember going to my great grandmother's and she would cook a big Sunday dinner. After everyone ate and the dishes were done she placed a clean tablecloth over the bowls of leftovers on the table. Whenever you wanted something to eat you'd just go and lift the corner of the tablecloth and grab a chicken leg or whatever. I know that we never got sick from it (of course, everything was also swimming in bacon grease which may have helped). LOL

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
My SIL says she does this every night, too. To hold dinner until my brother gets home from work and feels like eating. They've been married 38 years next week, and never been sick from it either.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 6:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
This is funny that you are discussing this, because I was just thinking this weekend as I put the ketchup in the refrigerator that when I was a kid we kept the ketchup out on the dining room table all the time...and restaurants always leave it out. Is it necessary to refrigerate the ketchup? (And we left food out "for later" also. Come to think of it we still do, except for things that could spoil (like salads with mayo in it.)

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 12:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I never put my ketchup in the fridge. Hate cold ketchup on hot food. Husband keeps his ketchup in the fridge. I worked in restaurants for years in high school and college and yep, kept on the tables. Annoys me to no end that after a family dinner some well meaning helper may have put my ketchup in the fridge making it cold when I want to use it.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
This has a nice list. Refrigerate or Not

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 5:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I have a bottle of Trader Joe's organic ketchup. (I don't care if ketchup is organic or not -- just what TJ's had.) On the bottle it says REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING.

Included in the above list that does NOT need refrigeration is maple syrup. I have a bottle of TJ's organic maple syrup. Like the ketchup, it says REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING.

Hmmmmm.

I'd like to save room in my fridge and not have either in it.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Is there a way to easily convert a slow-cook recipe to oven baked? TIA

Mak1

08-11-2002

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 7:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Dipo, that's an interesting question. Googling found some sites with answers. I have never converted a recipe this way so can't confirm the accuracy.

This is from Taste of Home. The link includes a chart with more info:
In general, 1 hour of simmering on the range or baking at 350°F in the oven is equal to 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high in a slow cooker.

www.tasteofhome.com/

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thank you so much!! My slow cooker broke and I haven't replaced it yet, I am about to because it is going to start getting really hot and I don't want to use the stove, LOL. But I have this chicken recipe I wanted to do tonight when it cools off but it is for a slow cooker.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 3:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
do you still want to cook it slowly? then something like 300 for 4-6 hours. but if you just want to bake it, 350 for an hour.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 7:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I just wanted to cook it quickly because I wanted to try the recipe.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Glad to help, Dipo. Did you try it yet?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I got it cooked, and it tastes great. thanks!

Mak1

08-11-2002

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 7:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
It's amazing the answers you can find online. I hadn't thought of that question yet but am sure it would have come up at some point in time. lol I'm glad it turned out good for you.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Not a question, but we don't have a random discussion area in here and I don't really think we need one, so I am using this area.

When Style network went off the air, I lost a bunch of shows that I really enjoyed. ONe of them was FoodRush which was by Chef Ryan Scott who has a restaurant in SF. Anyway, he just tweeted that he is getting a new show!!!!

Ryan Scott ‏@chefryanscott · 20m20 minutes ago

Ryan Scott retweeted Dave Corona
You asked for my old show Food Rush to come back? Well @coronacast & I are making it happen! Help name the show!

So excited!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 12:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
ETA: Not a question, just a little rant.

I mad a peach dump cake from a recipe online and it turned out awful, although I did eat some, LOL. It is only awful because some of the cake mix didn't get mixed in and is still just sitting on top, uncooked. So I ate the peaches (thank goodness they were canned), and some of the cooked batter and I am tossing the rest, LOL.

Florin

08-27-2006

Monday, August 03, 2015 - 3:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Florin a private message Print Post    
I hate when that happens. I had something similar happen when I tried a dump cake.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 2:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Does cooked spaghetti have a fridge life? I just found some that I cooked a while ago, and it looked fine, was just cooked and then added olive oil.

Just wondering?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 3:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Maybe this will help?

http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/17887

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks so much, that is a cool site. I bookmarked it because I am always putting stuff in the fridge and wondering how long it will be good.

I usually just end up throwing it away, so at least now I can check first.

I am trying to be better about not wasting food!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 3:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
With a microwave, If I'm not sure I'm going to eat it in 2-3 days, I just put everything in the freezer to keep it longer. :-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
We've found that spaghetti keeps pretty well. That's a neat web page, Kar. :-)