TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 09, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Windows 10: Archive through September 09, 2015 users admin

Bob2112

06-12-2002

Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 5:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bob2112 a private message Print Post    
I remember the Wang floppy was 8 inches.

Mack

07-22-2002

Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 6:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Yep. Early Wang models used a huge floppy. I think our first one had both the larger floppy drive and the then new "state of the art" 5 1/4. Wang was a big step up from the mag tape/mag card memory typewriters that were really our first office automation.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Remember the Tandy TRS 80? Used one of those years ago.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 8:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Spongie, I had heard you were rather famous for your 8 inch floppy Wang, but uhhhh ... uhhhh ... words fail me.

Carry on, folks, nothing to see here.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 10:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

Kitkat - yep I had one too. We called it the Trash-80. LOL

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 10:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I'm a little aggravated because my W7 desktop and my W7 netbook are being offered to take the upgrade now, but the one machine I want to have the upgrade says it has to wait because certain drivers aren't ready. It's a newish 17" Dell Inspiron Intel core i7 with nVidia graphics, and windows 8.1.

Mack

07-22-2002

Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 5:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
It's probably the nVidia drivers, that was an issue on one if my machines. I went to nVidia site and luckily they had the new driver. Loaded it and Windows 10 installed.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 10:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Mack, ever since the windows 10 icon appeared on my newish laptop asking to reserve your copy, I can no longer get my windows 8.1 updates. I have 15 waiting there, but it just rolls and rolls saying it's downloading the updates and nothing ever happens. One time I left it overnight like that just to see what happens and in the morning it said all 15 updates failed.

Do you know what's going on?

Mack

07-22-2002

Monday, August 31, 2015 - 4:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I have no idea. My Windows 8.1 laptop was one of the first machines I let update to Windows 10 so I didn't run into that problem. That said more likely you're having a problem I'd run into before with Windows in general. Every once in awhile Microsoft would put out a number of updates or changes that would seem to overwhelm my machine. I always used to cringe a bit when I'd get that "you have 14 updates waiting to be loaded" message because even if they all worked I was usually looking at potentially hours of download, restart, configuration, restart again, and what seemed like endless grinding to install the changes. A few times those would fail in total or partially and it would take a couple of tries to get the updates installed. Once in awhile I'd have to limit the number of updates, picking the oldest first and working my way through the list instead of dumping all the changes into the computer at once. So far Windows 10 seems to be humming along. Yes, there have been updates but nothing that has ground the computer to a haul.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, August 31, 2015 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I've tried only downloading 1 or 5 or 10. Nothing works. The thing is it doesn't even start downloading at all. It doesn't get to the installing stage. I am going to try wiring it instead of using the wifi.

oh well, I don't want to hijack the 10 thread.

Mack

07-22-2002

Monday, August 31, 2015 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Maybe it's time to update to Windows 10. Could be a partially corrupted 8.1. I really don't know as I updated my 8.1 computer as soon as Windows 10 was available. After I responded to the "do you want Windows 10" and the little symbol appeared on the lower right I have no memory of it not updating Windows 8.1 while I was waiting for Windows 10 to become available.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, August 31, 2015 - 10:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I got brave today and installed Windows 10 one one of my backup computers. I say brave because it is the backup laptop I am intending to be the replacement for the one that has been my workhorse desktop replacement laptop for about three years continuous, but it has recently begun to tick tick tick in the hard drive area, and you NEVER want a hard drive that is ticking.

Anyway, all went fairly well. I had first Googled about whether or not I would lose my programs, like Office, and various internet contributors assured me I would not, and that Windows would first advise me of any programs that might be affected or that I might lose. That particular option never appeared, so I have come to the conclusion that I had no programs that I might lose, and that indeed appears to be the case.

I looks like it is going to be a pretty easy and intuitive transition to figuring out how to do things on Windows 10. I did the custom install and declined things like organize my 30,000 photos and share them with everybody on the internet. I may have shut down a lot of the cool new features, but I don't have time right now to deal with a half dozen brand new "issues".

One thing I did encounter was an alarming problem when I decided to look at their new browser, Edge. After looking at it a bit, I decided to Google to see if there was an Adblock Plus add-on yet. I LOVE Adblock Plus on my web browsers. So I got a list of possible answers, and the first one I clicked on, I got this alarming pop-up message, complete with official panicked voice message, that I had downloaded a virus, and that prevented me from going anywhere else from the browser, and told me to call some number IMMEDIATELY. So I forced a shut-down of the computer and started Googling on the other computer. This has happened to a lot of other people who, like me, swear they only followed a link off a Google search, did not engage in any risky behavior, did not download anything, etc. Those other people said when they re-opened the browser, that message reappeared and would not allow them to navigate further. Turns out NOT to be a virus, but some sort of java thing that seems to be exploiting some hole in the Edge browser. People on discussion pages were saying it was a fluke, and that it would have happened on another browser if one happened to select that particular webpage.

After later investigation, I would say that is incorrect, as I later did the same search on the other laptop and could not recreate the phenomenon.

Simple solution turned out to be disconnect from internet connection, open Edge and navigate to some other page, so that when Edge re-opened it didn't try to open the pages that had previously been shut down in abnormal fashion.

STILL, I lost time on this, and as a retiree, I have NO spare time to be contending with unnecessary b.s.

And so, I would either recommend you continue to wait to download Windows 10, or do not experiment with the Edge browser. Turns out IE 11 has not been erased and is still on my machine WITH my beloved Adblock Plus. NOT that I love IE 11, BUT with the Adblock Plus add-on it will allow me to watch CBS.com shows online with NO commercials, which Chrome will not. Chrome just obstinately tells me I am using an adblocker, and I cannot watch without ads until I disable the adblocker.

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 3:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Interesting issue with Edge Juju2bigdog. I didn't have that problem but I didn't like Edge so set my default almost immediately to IE 11. Mrs. Mack felt the same way when she set up her new computer. I haven't checked lately but Edge was not allowing add-ons like my Norton password vault so I'm staying away until they do.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 11:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
I had that same phenomenon with mine too, Juju. Can't remember if I was trying Edge at the time r not butt yes, I'm using IE 11 as my default browser, too.

Can't say I'm thrilled with the W10. Wish I could uninstall it but it isn't even listed in my downloads.

I miss my old Solitaire. If I want it now, I can buy it for $10....sheesh. :-(

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 11:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
So, I have 'reserved' a copy of Windows 10 a few weeks ago. Does anyone know how you are notified when you can download it? Does it come in a Windows update or email? I've looked everywhere on the internet and all I can find is that you are notified. It does not say how.

Treasure

06-26-2002

Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 1:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
A pop up will come on your screen. I have been getting the pop up for a couple weeks. At first it was happening every time I changed to a new page. It has slowed down now. I have only gotten it a couple times today. So far. ehehe

I am waiting to see what everyone else is running into before I do the download.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Rupertbear2, you can go back to Windows 7. I just did it, and it was super easy! From the Start menu, you go to Settings, then Recovery, and revert to Windows 7 is one of the options.

I am SO relieved! I wasted the entire morning grappling with some sort of screen resolution problem that Windows 10 created when I put my laptop into the docking station which is connected to a 22" monitor. My offline e-mail client went wonky, as did all of my web browsers. I couldn't even read the fonts on the headers and tabs, they were so small. Then when I tried to correct them, they went even more wonky. So then I Googled for a while, and guess what? Other people are also experiencing this problem, and it appears to be some sort of conflict with Nvidia drivers.* I have some distant recollection of grappling with Nvidia drivers maybe on one of Bigdog's computers a long time ago. Non-geeks and semi-geeks were reporting things like downloading and re-installing their Nvidia drivers three times before curing the problem.

I just plain have run out of time to mess with it, so when I found out I could easily revert to Windows 7, I did it!

Oh, one other thing I did not care for at ALL. I am really spoiled by these little old laptops that I have with their Core 2 Duo Intel processors. They are really fast on initial boot and restarting. With Windows 7 a restart takes about a minute fifteen seconds. With Windows 10, it was a full three minutes.

Oh, and it wasn't the laptop clicking, since I still heard the clicking with the "other" laptop in the docking station, so maybe I don't have a failing hard drive after all. Yay!.

*Unless this machine doesn't have Nvidia, in which case, that obviously was not MY problem, LOL.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 2:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
((((((Juju)))))) yay! You are an absolute star. I followed your directions and got it back! I am so, so happy...you have no idea. Thank you, thank you, thank you. :-)

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
<leaps into Rupertbear2's arms> I know exactly how you feel. I was that happy for me this morning, and now I am doubly happy for YOU! Double yay!!!

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
LMAO!!! You are hilarious! Yaaaaah!!!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, September 04, 2015 - 9:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
So, just for grins today, and since I can reverse it, I decided to install Windows 10 on my THIRD identical Dell Latitude E4300 laptop. It installed okay, DID give me that tiny font on my browsers, but I was able to make it manageable by using one of the settings that did not work on the laptop I tried it on the other day, the one I reverted back to Windows 7. I did the same search I did on Edge the other day, and did not get the anti-virus pop-up, but I am going to stay away from Edge for a year or so anyway.

Anyway, go figure. Unfortunately, I will probably not be taking that laptop to Texas with me for the winter. There's only so many electronic devices one can transport by plane. We are flying rather than driving this year.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 9:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I finally was able to upgrade my newish laptop to W10 the other night. There was something corrupt in my windows 8.1 that was unfix-able, and stopping it from taking any upgrades, including windows updates.

Anyway, after trying every fix from every guru site I could find, and none of them working, I just took my W8 disk and reinstalled W8, then upgraded that to 8.1. And then a couple days later my W10 icon showed up in the taskbar. Then a couple days after that, I got the W10 upgrade. And W10 seems just dandy to me. I'm liking it.

I still don't want to do it to my W7 desktop yet because that's where I do most things, and I have to figure out a replacement for windows media center before I upgrade. I have a TV tuner on here and I use WMC like a DVR.

Sillypickles

06-29-2015

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 5:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sillypickles a private message Print Post    
Just found this thread (thank you Juju2bigdog for telling me about the "New Message" feature!).

I am having a hard time upgrading to Windows 10 and I "think" I know what the problem is, but before I make changes, I want to ask if anyone else has/had this issue.

When I log in to my laptop, it's not connected to a Windows account (like Live.com, Hotmail.com or Outlook.com), just a regular log in. I have been getting constant "failure" notifications on the upgrade in the updates section. Has anyone else upgraded using a non-windows account? I am on a 7 year old computer, so I don't know if my laptop is new enough to upgrade. I went from copy of 8 professional (laptop was originally Vista OS, backed up laptop, reformatted and then installed 8), to upgrade 8.1 professional and now I want to upgrade to Windows 10 professional.

I "could" create another login account that is linked to the Outlook.com account I reserved the upgrade with and upgrade that way, but want to try without a Windows account. I know when I reserved the upgrade it was tied to an Outlook.com account so maybe I do need it to be set that way?

Thanks in advanced for any advice.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I upgraded the laptop mentioned in my Sept. 4 post above without being logged into a Windows account. I was trying to upgrade from the little white Windows icon that appeared in my icon tray, and it spun forever on the checking to see if my computer was compatible pre-check. So then I went to Control Panel and Windows Updates, and clicked on the Windows 10 Upgrade from there, and it installed just fine.

Have you gotten the little white Windows icon yet, telling you that you are eligible for the upgrade? I would think your computer is not too old. The two I have upgraded so far are seven years old. I have an itty bitty Vaio that is even older, that I dearly love, except it is slow, but it took Windows 7 just fine, so I am not anticipating any problems in upgrading.

Sillypickles

06-29-2015

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 11:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sillypickles a private message Print Post    
So then I went to Control Panel and Windows Updates, and clicked on the Windows 10 Upgrade from there, and it installed just fine.

Good to know! I am reading a book right now, so I will try and upgrade that way. I have been going to the "Windows" icon on my task bar tray and it does what you stated yours did.