TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 13, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 13, 2015 users admin

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, September 11, 2015 - 3:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I always wish I could speak an exotic foreign language and start rattling that off to them.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Friday, September 11, 2015 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Yes Sia, I'm another getting those same calls. Lately, I've done what Jimmer says he does and he is right -- it does drive them crazy! So much so they hang up on ME!

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Friday, September 11, 2015 - 4:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
When my brother gets an annoying phone call he says, "Hang on a sec, I have to answer the door." He then just puts the phone down and walks away! needless to say, they don't bother him a second time. :-)

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Friday, September 11, 2015 - 5:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
I got one of those Microsoft calls, and when he asked if I was ready to proceed, I said, "Hold on, I'm Googling it." He hung up!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, September 11, 2015 - 9:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc, I think you may be hooked up to your old personally owned router, which is perfectly OKAY because you know that one works. But if your old router is Netgear brand, and the wireless you are hooking onto is called Netgear 78, AND the password is your telephone number (which is the same password I was using, mine not yours), that would seem to me to be the old router. Which is FINE. That is what I ended up having to do, because Comcast's combo modem/routers have KNOWN ISSUES with connectivity, and Comcast well knows it. But most of their reps will not tell you that.

So when the Comcast guy comes out, and gets you set up on their modem/router combo unit, make SURE you test it out on things like youtubes and video news clips. That is where all FOUR of the new Comcast modem/routers I had fell down. They kept dropping the signal, or "stuttering" seemed to me to be the best description. I had had a stand-alone modem and a separate wireless router in the very same place as Comcast's new one for fourteen years with NO problems. Then when Comcast forced me into the "upgrade" I had nothing but problems. Now that I am ignoring that my new unit has wireless, transmitting as Home-something, and am hard-wired once again into my OWN wireless router, and only using that connection, everything is fine.

So, Dogdoc, STILL keep your own wireless router, even after the Comcast guy gets you going on their wireless. Just leave it unconnected from the ethernet cable and not plugged in. And then if your Comcast unit starts giving you problems, you can try re-connecting the ethernet cable and plugging in your router, and that will probably work just fine. That is what I am doing, and it took me four months of angst to arrive at this enlightened state.

Kumbaya and out

Oh, wait, the USB cables only cost $30 if you buy them from Best Buy or Radio Shack. But, now that you at least have it working, you don't need one anymore.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, September 11, 2015 - 9:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
My "spaghetti", etc. Ten months ago I upgraded from ATT DSL to u-verse. ATT tech got me working. The black box is U-verse modem. If it is a modem/router combo, I don't know. Using my Apple router (larger white box) which I had with DSL. Don't remember what the small white Apple box is? Any ideas?

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Friday, September 11, 2015 - 11:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
I have had different versions of Comcasts modem/routers - I have never had a single problem with any of them.

Mack

07-22-2002

Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 5:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Colordeagua - What I think I see is the U-verse modem/router (black box), the Sony router (larger white box), the Sony router power supply (smaller white box), and a power bar/surge protector. I don't have any Apple computers so I'm not familiar with their Internet wireless connection requirements so I can't say if you need the Apple router or not. Probably not and it's redundant but if it works I'd just leave it alone. Kind of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 6:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Mack. You bet -- "if it ain't broke . . . ." It all works -- it ain't broke. Sony manufactures Apple's router and power supply? Both boxes have an Apple on them. I bought the router at an Apple Store. I don't remember when I added the power supply into the mix. I don't remember its always being there???

Mack

07-22-2002

Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 6:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I mistyped.....should have been Apple not Sony.....not enough coffee this morning. All routers are powered so it had to be there from day one.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Juju - Dogdoc is already back on line, from her post at 7:40 am yesterday. The GeekSquad guy came out and fixed her up.

So, please don't tell her to change anything, or we'll lose her again!

And please let's not have Comcast come out and mess it up either!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 10:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Would you believe my little Comcast box on my tv in the kitchen is not working. The little green light is flickering. The tv comes on but no stations.

I don't think the tv is bad. I will wait till Monday to call Comcast.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc, if it's flickering, just make sure none of the plugs are loose.

Also, I've had some luck with unplugging them, wait 30 seconds and then plug back in.

Finally, if you have another little box, you can try swapping them out.

I have found that the cords on those things go bad all the time. I just grab a cord from one that's working and swap that out. Then when Comcast comes out, they just give me a whole new set.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thanks Karuuna, I will try that.

I did try unplugging the tv earlier but left the box attached to the tv.

Would that do same thing as detaching the box?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
No, unplugging the TV doesn't do the same thing. Sometimes the connection gets loose I would unscrew the box and then reattach. I have had luck with that.

Have you tried it lately, for some reason around the time you posted I lost signal on some of my channels. The light was on the box but the message said the signal had been interrupted and to call Comcast.

But I had some network and cable channels working, it was like some group had dropped their transmission or something. About ten minutes later everything was back to normal and the light on the box never changed.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Dipo is correct. It's not the tv, UNLESS you accidentally changed the tv channel. It should be set to channel 3, using the controls on the tv, or on the tv remote (NOT the Comcast remote).

But since the light is blinking, it's more likely the Comcast digital adapter. Try unplugging the power to the adapter for 30 seconds.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 3:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Also, if you call Comcast, they can send a remote signal to try and reset it (no technician necessary). Be sure to find the serial number on the adapter before you call.

They also have online chat where you can request a signal be sent as well.

http://customer.xfinity.com/contact-us

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 4:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
It is working again! I didn't realize the Comcast box had its own plug. I unplugged it, plugged it back in and no blinking!

Thank you Dipo and Karuuna!

I like to watch tv while I cook!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
yay! Glad we could help!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 7:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc, don't touch anything! Hahahaha, I did think the Geek Squad guy hadn't been out but somehow got her going, and the Comcast guy was scheduled for a visit.

Landileigh, that is good to know. You don't need the aggravation. I usually rely on good luck to get me through most things, but this spring and summer with Comcast my luck ran out. I do still LOVE Comcast's voice mail. It accurately transcribes all of my voice mails and sends them to me as e-mails. I never have any trouble figuring out who called and what they said. It is unbelievably accurate.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 5:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
It's too late Juju, I did touch something.

I got an e-mail that has something to download. The church Elder's schedule. I hit 'save to one drive' even though I didn't know what it was.

Now where the lines, (right by the favorites star) that I hit and get my favorites no longer gives me my favorites. I get 'reading list'.

I don't think I have Comcast voice mail. I do like it when the tv tells me who is calling.

Sia

03-10-2002

Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sia a private message Print Post    
My son has told me that I should tell the so-called Microsoft Tech experts that I have only Mac/Apple computers and that they'll quit calling. I guess that's because Apple p.c.s are really difficult to hack/virus.

I got really upset with one guy & told him I flat-out didn't believe that he was calling to help me because NO ONE DOES THAT!! I finally had to hang up on him. Very tired of getting these scam calls. It should be illegal, but as long as the phone companies, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, & other entities can make MONEY by selling their lists--ones we can't be removed from--they will keep selling our names and phone numbers, addresses, etc.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 1:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Sia, I told them that every time they called, and it never deterred them.

Until that day that I yelled at them. :-)

Today, I got two anonymous calls and no one was there when I answered. Very frustrating.

FWIW, the DMV is not allowed to sell your info to Direct Marketing companies. That doesn't mean it doesn't get to them eventually.

Mack

07-22-2002

Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Actually Sia these calls are randomly generated by a computer and not off a list bought from another company. The callers have about as much to do with Microsoft as I do. It's a scam and you can tell them you don't have a computer and their computer will randomly generate your number again and they'll call again. Is it illegal? For sure but tracking them down in India or Pakistan or whatever foreign country and doing something about it is almost impossible.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 4:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
They wouldn't do it if the occasional person didn't fall for it.