TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 09, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 09, 2015 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 9:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Color, that's what I always think, just wanted to ask. I am on an advisory panel for a bank and I did a survey on mobile banking and that is basically what I said, LOL.

Jimmer I had Microsoft Essentials for a long time and loved it but when I got my new laptop with 8.1, they said it wouldn't work, so now I have McAfee, with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as a compliment. I don't think it slows my system down at all.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I guess people use mobile banking / banking on cell phone. My bank just upgraded their mobile banking software. I don't know in what way. I have never / will never use it. Too easy to get data stolen when it's flyiin' through the more public air.

Bob2112

06-12-2002

Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bob2112 a private message Print Post    
Jimmer: Go with Avast. I've been running that for 5+ years and some of our computers are older than that. The free version is all you need. I think you need to reregister it once a year, but prompts you when you need to do that.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks so much everyone. I'll have a look at Avast and McAfee. Avast sounds good if it is good and free as well.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 3:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'm trying the free Avast.. just downloaded it. It strongly suggested uninstalling Windows Defender, which seems to come with Win 8.1

I think I'm due to get the download of the Win 10 upgrade in a few days and will see what happens then.. I'm sure it will try to push something at me..

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 9:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I had Avast for a while and liked it just fine, also Avira, ditto, and don't recall exactly why I switched. But I have had Microsoft Security Essentials for about five years, and also like it quite well.

... except, my machine has become a bit squirrelly of late, slow at inexplicable times. You don't suppose it could be MSE ... ? They all seem to go to salable bloatware sooner or later. I remember when we all thought AVG was the cat's pajamas (pyjamas for the Canadians among us). And then it sucked.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 7:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Jim, David suggests Ad-Aware by LavaSoft, it's what he uses.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks again everyone. I've installed Avast so I'll see how that works at this point and if it doesn't work for me then I'll try one of the others that have been suggested. It could just be something else. My Laptop is getting a bit old but I'm waiting to get one with the latest Windows. I'd buy a Mac but they are so much more expensive. My DD has been after me to get her a Mac for months now. She'd love it for her school work. She is a hard worker and an awesome student.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 2:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I installed Avast and didn't register yet.. but it immediately said it was blocking AOL.com..

Uh.. I use AOL email and have for many years. I can read the email so far, though.

But it ran a scan and said all was well..

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, August 14, 2015 - 4:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Did Adobe have an upgrade that I have missed? I keep getting all these error messages for Adobe Flash Player. I am wondering if I missed an upgrade or something.

Mack

07-22-2002

Friday, August 14, 2015 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Yes. There has been an update in the past three or four days.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, August 14, 2015 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks Mack, I will track it down.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 8:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I bought a new Dell computer. I am not sure what the model number is. Windows 10.

I could not get it to go onto my wireless internet. The message said they could not contact MSN.

The Comcast man was here today to update my box. I told him I could not get my new computer to get on the internet. I have the Comcast bundle.

He got the same message that I did. The new computer is completely wireless, it will not take the ethernet line.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Ugh. Kind of hard to do long distance. When you ask the computer to search for available Internet connections it says it can't see any?

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 9:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I am so computer illiterate!

I found the router which is under my name. I put in the password. It acted like it was trying for awhile and then said it cannot connect to MSN.

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 10:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Can it connect to some other website?

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 10:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I don't know. It worked fine at Best Buy when was helping me to set it up. I didn't not have a need password with me to finish the job.

I was just there to get the info downloaded from this computer to the new one. When I said I had Carbonite they said I could just download from them. He downloaded a few things but their connection was slow.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 12:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
So it's not your Internet connection since it works for your old computer.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 12:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Comcast. Do you have a combo router/modem? Or are they two separate pieces of equipment.

You could call Best Buy and see if they will talk you through it on the phone.

If your wireless was working on the old computer, it sounds like it's a setup on the new computer that must be fixed.

What "box" did Comcast update?

If your wireless router is old, it is possible that the new computer has an updated security protocol, and it may need to be changed to an older protocol for the wireless to work.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Or maybe Comcast technical support could help? Our Internet provider's tech support is pretty helpful in that way.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 8:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
You are going to have to contact Comcast, I am afraid. I have just been through a bunch of stuff with Comcast, and I had to hard-wire to the wireless router to activate the new equipment.

Wait! Let me go look at my new Concast modem/telephone/wireless router combination unit (which is a piece of crap and the fourth such one I have had, but that is a whole other story). I am back. Yes, there is a USB port on the unit! Take your laptop and a USB cord out to the router, and plug one end into the computer, and the other into the router. Turn on the laptop. Open a browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge). You should then get a screen that asks you to log in to activate your account. It is easier to use your Comcast email i.d. and password, which is the righthand set of log-ins. That one is easier than trying to copy out your very long Comcast account number.

That should get you in business. Hopefully. Maybe. (seems like your on-site Comcast technician should have known this, if that turns out to be the answer.) If that is not the answer, just bite the bullet and call Comcast.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 9:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
If you're able to afford Apple computers, etc. -- go for it. Make the switch. It's not difficult. So many fewer problems. I am computer illiterate, but I am so much more comfortable with Apple computers and other iDevices. Computers along with AppleCare phone tech support -- able to do anything.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 10:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Nah, I'll stick with windows. I had one problem, upgrading to 10. I think back in 2004 I thought I had a virus, but I didn't. I just had a windows setting on something wrong. I spent over 10 years helping seniors fix their own windows computers. And me having one problem sure isn't going to sent me to a mac...LOL

I haven't had to call tech support since the first week I had a computer.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Hi. I am at my public library. My old computer shut down and I have not fixed the problem with the new one. It is a Dell Inspiration 13.

The lady from the over the telephone Geek Squad worked with me to no avail. ( I really have trouble with right clicks etc.

I will borrow a Windows 10 book for Seniors as soon as the Senior who is using it brings it back.

Thank your all for your help! I will let your know what happens.

The Best Buy man is coming Friday.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 11:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Juju I don't know what a USB cord looks like.

The Ethernet cord I have for my old computer is too thick to plug into my Dell

I will be gone for 24 hours.

Thank you all again.