TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 25, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Windows 10: Archive through July 25, 2015 users admin

Treasure

06-26-2002

Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 9:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
OK, I am getting tired of seeing the screen fill with the request to reserve my Windows 10. Now it is saying "Reserve your free Windows 10."

I am not sure I want windows 10. I don't know anything about it. I am still using Windows 7. What can anyone tell me about Windows 10? Should I reserve it while it is free? If I reserve the free Windows 10, will I then have to pay for it later? What is new about Windows 10? Does it do new things that I won't even be using?

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
My understanding (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is that you don't have to install it if you don't want it; but if you don't reserve it now and you want it after it comes out, you will have to pay for it. If you reserve it, it's free.

Treasure

06-26-2002

Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 12:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
Thank you Merrysea. If that is the case, I guess I better "reserve" it the next time it pops up. Then when it actually comes out, I can see what everyone thinks of it before I actually install it.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 12:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Treasure, there should be a little Windows icon on on the bottom-right corner of the screen in the toolbar. You can click on the to reserve it.

Treasure

06-26-2002

Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
The think popped up again as I was doing something else on the computer. So, I went ahead and used that to "learn more" about it, and then reserved it. But I had forgotten about that little box down in the corner. ehehe Still, I have learned that I can use that to cancel my reservation if I change my mind.

So, maybe now that I have the email confirmation, it will stop popping up on the screen. LOL

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
You don't have to reserve it to get it for free.

You just have to get it within one year of its release for it to be free. I am pretty sure reserving it is just their way a getting an approximate head of count of how many people are actually interested in it.

Treasure

06-26-2002

Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
I am worried about one thing. It said that I needed to have 3gb of space (forgot if it said memory or ram or whatever) to install it when it is ready. How do I know if I have 3gb of anything? Or how do I know I have the required room for it?

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 11:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
We can always rely on whatever Naja says to do. It will always be right.

Treasure, unless you have a really old computer, you likely have 3 GB free. Presuming you have Windows - go to your Start button, then Computer, then put your mouse over the C: and right click. That will tell you how many GB you have free.

And I remember getting my very first home computer (had them already at work, but they were SO expensive for home), and I proudly told our computer tech guy at work that we had just bought a computer, custom-made, and it had FOUR Gb hard drive, and he said, "Wow, you won't fill that up very soon!"

Hahahahaha!!! Nowadays computers have multi-HUNDREDS, if not thousands of Gigabytesof memory.

So, Treasure, don't worry about getting Windows 10 right now, unless your Windows Vista, 7, or 8 is mal-functioning. You have a while to wait and let them work the bugs out.

If Naja says do it NOW, do it NOW! But that won't be for quite a while.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 11:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
as one of those "bug testers" I have been working on Windows 10 for the last year and a half. Now working on Office 2016. We were issued the release version of 10 last week. No issues so far. Runs everything that I need to. The speed of Edge is much better than Chrome or Firefox. Takes a little getting used to as it is different than the old outdated IE. Haven't seen a bug in the system (I've been through multiple downloads in the last 6 months!) and believe me, I put it through the ringers. I'm working on multi-platform gaming on a laptop to test, which none of you would push a system that far.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 11:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
LMAO. You have no idea whom you are talking to.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 11:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Juju. I don't know why you are so supportive of me...LOL But it makes me love you even more...LOL

If you have windows 7 or later, and it's working just fine, you don't have to worry if the specs of your computer meet the requirements for 10. Just look at "my computer" from your start menu and make sure your C drive has the 3 gigs to spare.

If it doesn't, just go delete some crap. Heck, you can just go into disk cleanup and delete your old restore points and that will give you back several gigs.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 7:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Landi -is Office 16 significantly different than 13? I am an adjunct at a local community college, and they keep us updated with Office. Loving all the features of 13, but have only had a year to get used to them. :-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 9:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Does 10 have the old start menu, I hate all that touchscreen stuff and my computer guy gave me back the start menu and old games. I would hate to lose them by installing 10

Treasure

06-26-2002

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 11:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the information. Yep, I have plenty of room for 10. ehehe

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
Teach, you'll have quite awhile before Office 16 is available to the general public. Still in Beta.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
Dipo, it has a much more advanced Startup menu. Did you buy a touchscreen computer?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 2:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Unforturnately yes, Landileigh, they didn't really have other options. So when I my brand new computer didn't think my printer had a scan function, and I couldn't import the photos from my camera, I called the computer men and they came over and helped me out. Gave back the stuff I wanted and taught me how to get out of that awful touchscreen, LOL, and back to the desktop.

Said it was the first thing they taught all their customers.

When I said Start menu I meant the one where you click on it and a box comes up with all the options to the computer and programs, not how the system starts up.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 4:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Another question for Landileigh - how do you know whether your computer is touchscreen capable? When I bought my desktop, it came with Windows 7, but upgradable to 10.

Thanks for your help!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 4:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It's highly unlikely that anything that came with Windows 7 is touchscreen capable. It just wasn't an option back then.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 8:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Well, Naja, I have been here for a very long time and have observed that you always give very good advice in understandable plain English, and as nearly as I can tell, it is always spot on.

I also have a lot of faith in Landileigh and Jimmer for advice on a variety of topics.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 11:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
Dipo, I understood very clearly what you meant. The original Windows 8 startup SCREEN was (and is) only touchscreen enabled if you have a touchscreen laptop/monitor/tablet. You prefer the "desktop" screen with the lower left startup menu. That is the "advanced Startup menu" that I spoke of. It includes all that you knew from previous windows start menus and the Windows 8 versions in the MENU.

KitKat, if you can touch something on your screen, and it moves.... it is touchscreen capable. It has to be like a tablet. Whether it has Windows 8 or any other future version of Windows. If the technology was not built into the monitor, you can't just bring it in via an operating system.

Mack

07-22-2002

Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 5:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Jimmer - My only caveat, and you're probably right 99% of the time on Windows 7 machines, is that subsequent to Windows 8 coming out there were a number of companies that offered Windows 7 as an option instead of 8 even on their touch screen machines. Windows 8 got off to a rocky start and many opted not to get it. I only have one laptop, a non-touch screen model, that runs Windows 8.1 but I do that in the classic view.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 6:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That's a good point, Mack. Hopefully, the new windows will be a good one. I've heard some good things about it.

Thanks Juju.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 9:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, Landi, I wasn't sure. Ahhh, I am so happy to hear that they put the startup menu back, now everyone can have what they like.

I don't suppose they put the games, hearts/solitaire/minesweeper, etc. back? Guess maybe I should load those up on a flashdrive.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 5:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
if they aren't on your machine, all you do is get them from the Microsoft store. They are free.