TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 20, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 20, 2015 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 12:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
On my windows 8 laptop and windows 7 laptop, the update to 10 icon showed up after I did my windows updates.

On my windows 7 desktop, it was just there. I will probably skip the free upgrade on my 7 desktop since 10 doesn't include media center for free.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 4:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
The update showed up on my laptop, too. I'm hesitant to change anything until others have installed it, used it, complained, and then it's be de-bugged. :-)

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 9:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Seamonkey, same info was in our little local newspaper this morning.

Teach, same approach I am going to take.

Landi, thanks for the info about the outage. Local friend wrote me about same thing, when his internet came back on about 9:30. I think we had another brief outage about a half hour ago. How very strange if it has been Comcast outages all along. Got my new modem/router set up finally this morning, and so far, except for about a half hour tonight, it has been holding the signal just fine.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 8:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
I got the windows 10 icon update on my computer (running windows 7) too.. have not downloaded it...I also am going to wait till I hear from you all... My computer is old and having other issues and I am scared to add anything else to confuse me.
I do have one issue that possibly someone knows something about. My Firefox started having problems and a friend told me to remove it from programs and then re download it....so I tried to but It wont delete...every time I try I get a error box saying "couldn't load XPCOM" and when I try to remove it from programs it just wont go away. I am using IE now as my default but I miss my Firefox.. Using Chrome as a backup. I miss my Firefox and wish I could fix this. Even when I go to system restore it stops and I get that little message and it wont let me restore...

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 9:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
My laptop is so slow already between Windows and Norton Anti-virus it's painful to use. I can't see how this upgrade will improve that either.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 12:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
You can't actually download the upgrade until July 29th. The only thing you can do now is reserve your upgrade. And even if you reserve it, you still don't have to download it when the time comes.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I just got around to reserving my upgrade to windows 10..

Jimmer.. hard to say but at least it will be a supported version. Had I still had my last computer, I'd have been worried support for that but this new computer has 8.1. I could have bought it with 7 but decided to bite the bullet on 8. "They" say 10 will be better.

My laptop, which I really don't use anymore is like yours.. bogged down. Don't think it would take the upgrade well, if it was offered for XP users.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 9:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Chewpito, several things.

Your Firefox download may have come with its own uninstall program. Go to Start and type Firefox in the Search box, then look for a folder called Firefox (not the Firefox icon, just a folder). Expand the folder, and you may find a file in there called uninstall.

Another thing that may be happening is that your anti-virus could be preventing the uninstall. Try turning off the anti-virus temporarily while you try the uninstall.

And it is almost certain that your anti-virus is preventing you from using System Restore. My system Restore was failing EVERY time until I got the bright idea (or more likely Googled advice) to temporarily turn off the anti-virus while I tried System Restore.

I quit using Firefox a couple years ago after it got all squirrelly one time too many following a major upgrade. I had had enough. I now use Chrome, which comes with its own set of quirks, not the least of which is to try to take over your entire online LIFE before you fully understand what it is asking you to give permissions for. It scared the crap out of me a couple times.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 6:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Not technically a computer problem, my phone has not been working all day. I have cable, phone, and internet all with the same cable company, one modem. I did an online chat with the cable company about the phone. Before I talked to them, the modem was showing all lights steady, except for one that says "link" was blinking. They told me to check all cords and unplug and plug the modem back up. The corded phone worked briefly. Ever since then, all lights on the modem are blinking, except for the "link" light which is now steady. I'm scared to try anything else lest I lose the internet. The tech is not scheduled to come out till the 16th! Ten days. I'm sure it will resolve by then, but any ideas?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 6:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I think you have no choice but to reboot the modem again, as well as anything else you might connected - like a router.

Or wait 10 days...

you might look up your modem manual online and see what it says about the lights, and what they indicate?

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
The manual wasn't very helpful. It suggested unplugging and replugging, which I did, two more times. And to press the reset button. No change. Everything is still the same.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 9:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
You know to wait about fifteen seconds between unplug and replug, right? Not sure if that applies anymore, but I always count to fifteen slowly.

And, of course, Google everything you can think of to see if anybody else is having/has had the same problem and solved it by themselves. Do not EVER try any fixes that have you editing the registry.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 4:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
It is still the same today. I really thought it would be resolved by now. I unplugged and left it off for two hours. Plugged back up and still the same. I may take the modem back to the cable company this week, if I get time.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Hecka, I'm guessing there is a problem with the modem if it was working before, then stopped.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I know with my comcast modem, unplugging isn't actually rebooting. To reboot it, there is a tiny hole on the back of the modem and you have to stick a paperclip or something thin in there to press the hidden button. That's the actual reboot button. You press it while it's plugged in and you can see all the lights turn off, and slowly turn back on as it reboots.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 5:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Tried googling the exact brand and model of modem and came up with someone who had had the exact same problem. A former tech answered them. I tried it and success! Replaced the phone cord going into the modem and then reset it via the button Naja talked about. Thanks for the replies!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Yay!!! Naja has had the answer for many of us over the years, and I am SO glad she is here and so generous with her knowledge.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, June 08, 2015 - 6:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree. Great tech advice generously given.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, June 19, 2015 - 5:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I have Google Chrome (as well as IE)and I need to know who do I get the live feed bookmark, added to the toolbar. Also I don't even see where I access anything that I do bookmark, these is no favorites, etc. Right now I just my bookmarks imported from IE, but that is only current to when it was set up.

Anyhelp would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, June 19, 2015 - 5:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, nevermind about the toolbar part, just accidentally stumbled on that, so just need to know when I click on the little star button and it marks the url, where do I access that. Thanks.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Friday, June 19, 2015 - 5:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
just click on the star again and your url/title should be right there - click on the url/title

I named mine BBlivefeeds

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 10:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Getting' older can be the pits. I have trouble coming up with simple words / terms sometimes. Frustrating, but I go with it.

What's the word / term for page a browser opens to? You can set it / change it to what you want. What's the word for it? Not how to -- just the word??

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
do you mean the home page?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 11:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Yeah, that's it. I did think of "home page" previously, but this time 'round -- nope. It can be bad sometimes. Thanks, Dipo. I just go with it. Not concerned about dementia or A.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LMAO, Color, I do it all the time. A simple word that I use all the time and for some reason it just escapes me...so frustrating but I usually remember once I go do something else and then other times I have some to TVCH and ask.