TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 02, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 02, 2015 users admin

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, May 15, 2015 - 8:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I bet you could pick up a new (used, working) one of those, especially in your area, on Craiglist or at a thrift store for pretty cheap.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 6:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
All of a sudden, my computer is not showing that it is plugged in and charging, even though it is and should be, the light is not bright either. I have rebooted and tried several plug and unplug options and more restarting. Any suggestions?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Is the power cord totally plugged into the computer? That happened to me and it looked like it was plugged in but was not solidly placed so the computer was not getting any power.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 8:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Sometimes that happens to mine when I have left it on for a couple hours, and it may have to do with power saving mode. If I lightly and quickly depress the power button, it comes back on.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
If this is a laptop, your battery may no longer be accepting a charge.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 7:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Is there such a thing as an actual tech support number or online help for Microsoft?

I bought a computer with Windows 8.1 and I keep running into dead ends because they seem to insist that I have a Microsoft account.

Well they really want me to have a Hotmail or outlook email but at one point it seemed like I could set up an account with Microsoft with my existing email address.

But when I tried that, it claimed I already HAVE an existing account with Microsoft, but when I try to find out the password of this account I don't know I have.. it doesn't exist.

So it won't let me download apps, etc.

Do I have to get another email address I don't want? Are any of the numbers that pop up on searches actual numbers for Microsoft support?

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 7:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I took the power cord with me to Best Buy today. They want way too much money. I went to my stepson's house and it was just a broken wire. He fixed it. Everything is back to normal, thank goodness.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey, I think I set up an account and then I eventually figured out how to also set up my Comcast account, but it took some clicking around and I don't have a clue how I got there.

Don't know about the customer support stuff, is there anything in help?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Heckagirl, glad you found the problem.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 9:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey, you might be able to get a Hotmail account that you never have to visit, and just set it to forward to your regular e-mail account. I have a gmail account that I only use for publicly posting an e-mail address on travel discussion boards, and all of the mail quite simply gets forwarded to my real life (if there were such a thing) Juno e-mail account, and it is no problem whatsoever. I never have to visit the Juju Travel account unless I am replying to somebody I don't want to give my "real" e-mail to.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 9:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
But what gets me is it says I have a Microsoft account with my aol email but then I try to send a password reset TO that account but nothing happens.

I know, I'm stubborn..

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 9:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Is there such a thing as an actual tech support number or online help for Microsoft?

Not being techie and being easily frustrated is why I got a Mac and iPhone . . . AppleCare!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 9:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
This just isn't right. They say I HAVE a Microsoft account with my only email address. IF I do then it would be the password I use on windows, but NO.. it won't take that. I can't even register Office that I paid for.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 10:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Contact us.. but first set up your account.. uh right.. but you won't let me access my account and you won't let me set one up.

--------

I gave up. Just frustrated ..

Yeah, Color.. too late in life to make that switch but I just want to smack someone.

I've had windows, version after version for years and this is the first time I've been boxed in like this..

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Monday, June 01, 2015 - 12:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
I am not a tech person at all...hardly. But can you by chance 'since they say you already have a account' push something that says 'forgot my password' and 'need a new password' then set up a new password for this account you know nothing about and see where it leads you.. I remember once going thru something like this and I just pushed forgot password and started over...seems they had something on me...."I don't know how" but it worked.... Good luck Sea

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, June 01, 2015 - 5:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I don't think it's ever too late to switch. Macs / Apple are so much easier, so less frustrating. They just work. And on the not-often occasion when they don't (it's more likely that I'm not working ), call AppleCare. I switched at age 63.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 01, 2015 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Chew.. oh yes you can click all you want on that link but then it says you have to sign in to change your password .. yeah ..

I now have outlook email addy that I'll never use but was able to load in the software so I can get a task done for the shelter..

Trust me, I'm not starting over on apple.. my fingers are used to what they are used to. I know I could get used to anything but in the past, on my brother's computer, on Kar's when she was at Disneyland, at Meggie and Michael's at home AND at Disneyland.. I was quite clumsy.

Debra

11-19-2003

Monday, June 01, 2015 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Debra a private message Print Post    
I did an online chat with Microsoft a couple of weeks ago. I was having trouble downloading Microsoft Office. It was pretty easy. I let him access my computer and then proceeded to watch him try all that I had tried and then he did some things that were way beyond my scope to make it work. Lol

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, June 01, 2015 - 7:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Sea, are you near a Microsoft Store? Link There's both a Microsoft Store and Apple Store in the same shopping center near me.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, June 01, 2015 - 8:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Hey, Seamonkey! Remember when I told you Microsoft is going to be giving Windows 10 for free as an upgrade? This morning a new icon appeared in my icon tray, and it was a link to get in line or something for a free upgrade to Windows 10!!! It is coming! Or it is here. I am not going to investigate it for a while, just wait and see what experiences others report with it. Plus I am having Comcast connectivity problems right now, so don't want to throw confusion into the issue. I was very close to just reinstalling my operating system until all three laptops in our house started having the same problems, at which time I pushed more strongly on the Comcast front and don't have it all resolved yet.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 01, 2015 - 9:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Debra, I would have been thrilled to do that but since it wouldn't let me log on or change my password, I could not access customer service. But I just created a new email as they wanted and installed Office and have started using it.

Juju.. I'll have to look for the icon..

Color, yes I see there is a Microsoft store at South Coast Plaza which is close but a pita since it is so big but at least it is close.. next city over as the crow flies. If the crow drives, she has to pass through at least one interim city due to The Santa Ana River, which is mostly dry but nevertheless, must be crossed in some way.

I need to call Time Warner. I have the computer wired direct into the box and still have intermittent failures so it isn't the fault of the wifi which isn't installed for now. So.. I may be calling to get them to come out and first solve the basic problem and then install the new cable box/wifi modem/phone modem box and get the wifi working.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 01, 2015 - 9:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Of course TWC is probably being bought by Charter so things will change.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, June 01, 2015 - 9:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Juju! Thank you for mentioning the free upgrade! I had no idea.

I dug deeper and anybody with windows 7 or above will get the upgrade to 10 for free, as long as they take it within the first year.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Monday, June 01, 2015 - 11:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
Juju, the Seattle area and the Bay Area have been having extensive Comcast outages. It started on Saturday, and was really bad tonight. Everything cleared up about 10pm

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 12:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Juju, Naja, here is some info..

http://fortune.com/2015/06/01/windows-10-release-date/