TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 15, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through May 15, 2015 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 10:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
A friend called me wanting to know if I could look up the Microsoft phone number.. he couldn't get anywhere.. he's okay tonight.

I think I missed most of it but at one point had windows that just sat there, couldn't do anything on them and had to take the system down and up..

I have enough to worry about since I've had Blue Shield for over three years and Blue Shield for years prior to that.. and I had a Chase account and credit card so I get these emails saying if I don't click this link I will lost the card (which I don't use and the link goes somewhere suspicious.. no thank you.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 4:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I have a Logitech K120 plug and play keyboard. It has only been working intermittantly since yesterday. It's annoying! Should I just buy a new one? As you can see, it's working now, but only some of the time.

Mack

07-22-2002

Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 7:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
The K120 is a wired keyboard so check that it's plugged into the computer well. Sometimes stuff happens and if it has slipped out even a little it might be causing problems. If it's a USB connection you might try other USB inputs on your computer if you have unused ones.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 6:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I tried all the other ports. Rebooted, all the typical things. I went ahead and bought another keyboard today. It's working great. I'm thrilled it was just the keyboard and nothing wrong with the computer.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 9:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Yay!!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I thought VOIP was simply unlimited calling via internet? Yes, no? Info that came with my AT&T U-verse internet bill has info re various charges / fees. I do not want it, but curious.

Have a buzz lately on my land line. Finally got in mind set this morning to call AT&T. Report problem by listening to recorded voice and pressing buttons. Then stay off the line for 15 minutes. So now what??? Recording says if we need to make house call, may be a $99 charge. I take it AT&T will call first?? Recording says problem will be fixed by April 10, 6:00 p.m. Have I said lately -- I HATE AT&T.

Had problem with my Amazon Echo this morning. Call Amazon. Amazon customer service is always a pleasant experience. Alexa is working again.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 12:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I thought VOIP was voice over internet phone, so not a landline.

Last time I had trouble with my ATT landline they told me the same thing about the cost. It is because you are responsible for the lines inside the house. My problem was outside the house, the lines were getting wet and that caused the noise. I just told everyone that it was actually the FBI tapping my line, LOL.

Anyway, they didn't charge me anything and it is all good now.

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
VOIP is not free unlimited phone calls just because it's over the Internet. AT&T markets basically three versions. There's a limited package, a package with unlimited local and long distance, and the highest totally unlimited local, national, and International calls version. Each has its own price. The price also drives local, state, and Federal taxes and fees so there can be quite a variety. Really not different though than the packages available on landlines.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 11:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I haven't heard from AT&T about land line as yet. I'm guessing they probably check what they can from wherever they are and outside the condo building. I'm guessing / hoping if they have to get into the building but not my unit, it won't cost me anything. If they need to get into my unit, then $99. I've become very cynical (or is it skeptical?) about AT&T. I do not trust 'em.

Few months ago when I upgraded from DSL to U-verse for internet, someone told me to be careful about pricing / billing. Yeah. I know now I'm paying more per month for it than I should. My fault? I kind of knew that ad was running on TV for app. $30 per month. I remember "customer service said, "Would you be willing to pay $51 per month?" Those were his words. So I said Yes. So I am. I did say Yes, but why can't AT&T charge or ask for something much closer to pricing in TV Ad? And they did say they would waive $199 installation fee. It was on my first bill of course. I did not pay it. Took me a while to get it off bill. I do not trust AT&T.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 5:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
As I said in an earlier post my initial go-arounds with AT&T about my line noise were not very different than Colordeagua's. Once I got into contact with the local office, rather than some call center in God knows where, it went very smoothly and the tech worked hard to figure it out. Now I don't know if this guy is still around but at the end of rewiring, testing, resetting, etc., etc., and fixing the problem he gave me his business card and said I should just call him directly. He implied that he was "my tech" and my account was now assigned to him for maintenance, etc. Hmmm....strange but since I've had no problems since I've had no way to test that arrangement.

As for AT&T in general....oh me....they can be a challenge but it's not like there are options or at least not a lot of options. The only other provider locally is Time Warner Cable and I like them even less than AT&T.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 6:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Right. Here it's AT&T or Comcast for internet connection. I've never had cable or satellite for TV so have never done any business with Comcast. Their reputation for customer service. No, thanks. As I said, if either could figure out what good customer service could do -- they'd kill their only competition.

When the tech guy was here to hook up U-verse, he gave me an AT&T piece o' paper with phone number directly to him and also number to his supervisor. Never called him cuz I haven't had a problem with internet connection. Calling him isn't for other problems -- land line. But maybe if my land line isn't fixed by 6:00 p.m. Friday, I'll give him a call. I got 18 Mbps speed from AT&T. After initially being 14.something in earlier tests, it's now always 17.something Mbps.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 2:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
So the phone rang this afternoon. AT&T, "I'm outside, can I get in." I expected a call from an office to set up tech to be here if necessary. Tech was here and needed to get into phone box in the building. Looked at things there. Then knew he wouldn't have to get into my unit so no $99 charge. Then checked things outside the building further. Discovered problem was in lines between here and whatever AT&T center. Forty-five minutes later, good sound on land line again. Techs are good. Customer service -- UGH! That's being nice about it.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 6:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
The last cable guy I had out here also gave me his personal telephone number, so he said. I've never been able to get a hold of him through it.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Glad they got it cleared up, Colordeagua. We have Comcast everything, and I always call them first if I have any problems (after first unplugging and replugging the router). It is always their fault, and I never have to pay.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 10:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Cable stuff is different from land line phone problem. $99 charge has been usual thing for years if they have to work in your house / condo unit. Happened to me many years ago in the last apartment I was in. Renter before me had done something to phone line. Eventually I had problem. AT&T had to come out . . . into my apartment. $99. It was early '80s. Don't remember if I was reimbursed by landlord.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 9:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Comcast ALWAYS threatens me with the $99 service charge if the problem is inside my house, but yeah, I have been in this house for over ten years, so I am always quite sure the problem is theirs, not mine.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 11:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
I have had Comcast (and all of it's previous business names - once it was even AT&T!) since 1986. I have NEVER had a problem that wasn't fixed, a rate that wasn't dropped when I called, or anyone being rude or unknowledgeable. I may be lucky, but I have moved it from this house to that house (7 moves) and I am on the top tier of their triple play bundle and pay $159/month for phone/internet/cable with every channel and MLB oh... and X1.

Mummy35332

09-09-2005

Friday, April 10, 2015 - 2:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mummy35332 a private message Print Post    
I have Comcast and have been over all happy with them. Customer service people on the phone sticking it out until resolution. Sometimes hours to get to the solution. Customer service in the house. All the problems were outside. Courteous and helpful.

I have never felt threatened when made aware of a possible charge if the problem existed within my home.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, April 10, 2015 - 11:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I went with the triple play Comcast a few years back at $99 for basic phone, cable TV, and internet. BUT we put it all on vacation hold every winter, and when I turn it back on, it mysteriously jumps in price. This year when we returned, same package was now $186, and I blew my stack, and requested Bigdog please intervene, or I was getting rid of all of it. He called and told them he couldn't afford it, and they cut the price way down and gave him a bunch of extra stuff.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 5:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
When I upgraded few months ago, CS person did say I should call app. month before my first year of U-verse ends to ask about discounts at the time. As I'm paying more per month than I should be, I figger there WILL BE a discount for next year or Xfinity.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 7:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Q I keep forgetting to ask: Every once in a while I just loose my connection to the internet without any notice. The blue internet light on the top row of my computer stays blue, but the little icon on the menu bar along the bottom shows a red slash circle. When I restart it will usually make everything fine again and I have a connection.

Other times I have to go to the control panel, network connections and it will show my wireless router as disabled, I enable it and we go back to the internet.

Even though the control panel shows it as disabled, when I check it is on and all the lights are on it seems to be fine.

Anyone know what is going on? Is the wireless router broken or something?

Thanks for any ideas.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 10:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Dipo, go to your actual wireless router, the machine, NOT on your computer, but the physical machine that sends out the wireless signal. Unplug it, count to fifteen, re-plug it. Wait a couple minutes and then if your computer doesn't automatically reconnect, manually re-connect using the network connections on your computer.

If that doesn't work, but it almost always will, call your service provider, who will ask you if you ahve re-set your router, and you can then reply YES, I unplugged it and re-plugged it and still have the problem.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Juju, I have managed to get it re-started when it happens I just wonder why it keeps happening.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 10:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Dipo, at that point you call your provider and tell them you have repeatedly re-set your modem and/or router, and the problem continually recurs.

I will tell a little story on myself, but I claim jetlag, and a cold making me fuzzy-headed. When we returned home from our three week cruise and land tour to Europe Monday, neither out internet nor our phone (both Comcast) were working. Bigdog called Comcast and was told by a guy in India that our cable modem is bad, and to go exchange it at our local Comcast store, which we did. I got the internet working and got the phone back working the following morning, but I was continually getting dropped signals, and having to restart the new modem. Re-starting the wireless router did not seem to have any effect. So this morning, I called Comcast and told them this is not good. I explained that when I re-started the new modem it usually corrected the problem, but when I re-started the wireless router, it did nothing. Turns out our new modem (which Bigdog retrieved from Comcast) is a combination modem and router, so it was probably the superfluous wireless router that was causing the problem. That turned out to be the case. LOL.

So, once you have exhausted what you can do, it is time to drop it in the lap of the provider because it is probably their fault and not yours (unless it is operator error, but they are quite used to that).

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, May 15, 2015 - 11:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks, It's not the modem, its the wireless router. I own all my equipment, don't want to pay Comcast $5 per month for them. Anyway, it hasn't happened, knock on wood, since earlier this month. I will just keep an eye on if it happens again and see if there is any kind of pattern.