TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 17, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: QUICK QUESTIONS: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 17, 2015 users admin

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 - 6:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
cook to 140. you want it to be 150, so you need it out at 140

Jmm

08-15-2002

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 - 11:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I found a wonderful trick tonight for peeling hard boiled eggs. I boiled 4 dozen eggs and all but 1 peeled perfectly - I've never had eggs peel as easily. I did everything the same: eggs not too fresh, boiled them for 14 minutes, put them in a sink of cold water to cool them down quickly, and peeled them under cold running water - same as I've done for 40 years. The only difference was that I cracked the large end of the egg and peeled them from there - the peeling just all but fell off the egg.

Mamapors

07-29-2004

Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 9:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamapors a private message Print Post    
48 eggs!! Oh My Goodness!!

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
Jmm, I sprinkle baking soda in the water with the eggs and it (almost) always makes peeling the eggs a snap.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Great tip, Jmm, I have never understood why sometimes mine peel easy and othertimes not. I must have been accidentally staring at the big end, LOL.

Bluejaxrock, I am going to try that, thanks.

Oh and my prime rib turned out perfect, I ended up doing 52 minutes the 1st and 2nd cook, then went 30 minutes more. I think I could have cooked it another 20 but it worked out perfectly.

We had plenty that was cooked at 140 for dinner and then when we heat it up for leftovers it won't overcook the meat that was still a little too rare for me, but my sister was happy with, LOL.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 9:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I'm on my 2nd electric egg cooker. First one I had for many years. Current one is doing fine so far. With both, very rarely had a hardboiled egg that didn't peel easily and cleanly.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 6:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Anyone have a good recipe for pork loin? I haven't ever cooked on and am making one for New Years. To go with my scalloped potatoes and black-eyed peas.

Mamapors

07-29-2004

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 7:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamapors a private message Print Post    
I have ruined every one I have ever cooked :-( Let me know if you are successful!!

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 7:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
whole pork loin? if you have a crockpot, put the roast in your crockpot and pour two packets of onion soup mix over it and then a jar of applesauce. cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Texannie, not sure what you mean by whole pork loin, it is 1.35 lbs. Your recipe sounds good except I don't have any soup mix or applesauce, LOL.

Debra

11-19-2003

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Debra a private message Print Post    
We did a pork loin roast in the crockpot a couple of weeks ago. I added chicken broth, onion, garlic, potatoes, salt and pepper. Turned out great.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
the whole loin is thicker. the tenderloin is smaller and more tender cut of pork
213408http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-pork-loin-and-pork-tenderloin-meat-basics-213408

any combination of sweet spicy should work. also cream of mushroom soup and mushrooms would be good too

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 8:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I use this rub for pork loin and brisket ...
3 TB packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 TB chipotle chile powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp celery salt
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper

Mix it all together and rub over the pork or brisket. Then combine:
1 1/4 C ketchup
1/4 C apple cider vinegar
1 TB Worcestershire sauce

Pour it carefully over the meat, and cook in the slow cooker on low for 8 hours.

It is delicious!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 9:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I didn't realize it meant something, it says pork tenderloin on the package.

All those sound great, thanks!!

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 4:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
do NOT cook Pork Tenderloin like Pork Loin! you will end up with a TERRIBLE piece of meat!

INGREDIENTS
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, trimmed of silver skin
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1/4 cup water

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a Dutch oven or ovenproof skillet, heat butter and honey over medium heat, stirring to melt butter. Season pork with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and place in pan. Cook until underside is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Turn pork, and cook until other side is browned, about 5 minutes more. Lower the heat if the honey begins to burn.
Put pan in the oven, and roast until pork is just cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer pork to a plate.
Add water to the pan, and stir over medium heat to scrape up all the browned bits. Add any accumulated pork juices from the plate, and simmer until sauce is reduced to about 1/2 cup. Slice pork on the diagonal, and serve drizzled with sauce.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 7:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
yes, Landi is right. the tenderloin cooks much differently.
Are you in a climate where you can grill? that is usually what we do.
i also cook it in the oven at 500 for 5 minutes, turn the oven off. DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR, leave in the oven for minimum 40 minutes. for this recipe i usually do a rub of black pepper, salt, garlic powder and either sage or basil

here is a more specific recipe
http://www.food.com/recipe/perfect-pork-tenderloin-63828

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 1:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LMAO, thank you so much, I thought it might be different so I did do a little internet research.

Both of your recipes sound much better than the ones that I read.

Texannie, way toooooooo cold to grill.

Thanks for the recipes.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, January 02, 2015 - 4:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
how did it turn out?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, January 02, 2015 - 5:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Cooking it tonight, got busy on New Years with all the other stuff I was making. I will let you know.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, January 02, 2015 - 7:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
i am making a pork roast tomorrow for my hubby's birthday.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, January 02, 2015 - 9:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
We accidentally had pork soup tonight. I had shredded meat in my freezer that wasn't labeled, so I set out to make lemon orzo chicken soup (has leeks in it). Since I didn't have orzo, I was pretty much going to do c-o-ck-a-leekie soup but with lemon juice added and with rice instead of the usual barley. Put the shredded meat in and figured out after it had thawed that it was pork! LOL Soup was still ok - flavors worked.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 1:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
The tenderloin turned out well, but I was thinking I would make some sort of sauce to serve with it, if I cook it again.

It was easy to cook but I am not that big a fan of pork, maybe I will enjoy it more as a leftover sandwich, LOL.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Watching the Kitchen and they are making me want to make a million different snacks for Super Bowl, LOL!

But I am really thinking only potato skins and deviled eggs, and maybe some chips and guac.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Q: My crockpot insert cracked right down the middle and I have had it since time began, so I am thinking a new one is in order. Does anyone have any recommendations? I only cook for me so I figure a 4 quart is big enough, anything else I should consider?

Thanks!!!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 4:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I got this 4 qt. one when DS left for college, and I love it. Very basic, no programming, but it will also stay ON if the power goes off and then comes back on. I also like the latching lid when we travel to family gatherings.

http://tinyurl.com/lazppa9