TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Mattresses

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Buyers Banter: Mattresses users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through March 24, 2017Seamonkey25 03-24-17  3:55 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Longbeachbbfan

08-17-2005

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 6:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Longbeachbbfan a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey, what is the benefit of a memory form topper? how much are they?

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I just want to mention something to consider when buying a memory foam topper. If you have a king size bed, you might want to buy 2 doubles instead of a king. These things are heavy. I bought one for my mother and it tore somehow when I was struggling with either getting a dust ruffle on or off the bed for her. Or maybe it was struggling to get the fitted sheet on the bed. I don't remember. Getting the fitted sheet on is a pain. These things are like 3 inches deep. One day when struggling with the sheet, she said she only needed half of topper, so we ripped the thing the rest of the way in half. I took the other half for my bed. Even with only covering half the bed, my fitted sheets are still a pain to get on.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 7:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Longbeach, they are a thick piece of foam that you stick on your bed to offer support for your back when you sleep. The one I got for my mother, I lucked out. I got it at Costco and it was on clearance for $60. It was the last one and was something like $150 originally.

I think that's the only time I saw something on clearance there.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 7:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Hmm I don't remember the price, but I bought one that was all memory foam (some have other materials) and 3-4" deep and I did what Grooch suggests and bought a single.. The other half of my king bed tends to have cat beds on it..

I love it!

I assume the price would be different since it was a few years ago I bought mine but I certainly did take advantage of a Kohl's sale on all toppers and memory foam mattresses.. I think it was in January?

And I read reviews too..

Color, I hope you love yours.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 7:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
They do make extra deep fitted sheets to use with them. Or you can get 2 flat sheets and no fitted one.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 8:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Good comments here about them. Good reviews on Lands' End and other sites about other foam toppers. I think I will like it. Oh, my achin' back and hips.

Heavy, huh? I ordered a full size for my full bed. Will I be able to handle it myself? Fitted sheets I have now are too deep for my mattress as it. I think / I hope my fitted sheets will be good fit with topper on mattress.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 8:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
You should be fine with a full. King size is just to much. Ever try flipping the top mattress on a king? Ridiculous.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 8:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I think you'll be fine, Color. Mine came tightly rolled up but I was able to open it up on the bed just fine.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well, my mattress is massively heavier than a topper.. mattress is quite deep with pillowtop on top and bottom. and it is crazy hard to turn or flip..

Topper not hard at all. Not that I flip it.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 6:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Don't need to flip mattresses today as in the "olden" days. Turn, yes.

Longbeachbbfan

08-17-2005

Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 7:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Longbeachbbfan a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the information. I still don't understand how sheet of foam can give the back support.

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 7:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
Our previous mattress was a Tempurpedic memory foam. It was so firm we added a topper to soften it up. That worked for a while, but overall I didn't like the memory foam at all. It was incredibly heavy and I could barely even lift the corners to change the sheets.
About a year ago we bit the bullet and bought a Sleep Number mattress. Best decision I ever made. Love it! I sleep so much better and because it's filled with air lifting to change the sheets is a breeze. I will never buy any type of mattress, though with the 25 year guarantee it's not likely I'll have to anyway. Worth every penny.

Longbeachbbfan

08-17-2005

Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Longbeachbbfan a private message Print Post    
Snoopsmom, the Sleep Number mattress is filled with air?

Mack

07-22-2002

Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 6:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Sleep Number mattresses have a kind of standard mattress top that's like three to four inches thick but the main support comes from air chambers under that. By pumping air in or letting it out you can adjust the firmness of the mattress. Personally we have a Tempur-Pedic mattress but our best friends have a Sleep Number and swear by it.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 8:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Several years ago I was visiting my sister and was sleeping in a Sleep Number bed downstairs. I kept trying to adjust it to be comfortable for me, but it didn't work. In the morning my sister told me she was going nuts because her bed upstairs kept inflating and deflating!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 8:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Hahahaha, Merrysea!! I bet she was glad when you left.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, September 29, 2017 - 10:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I'm mattress shopping again. I've got lower back and hip pain from mattresses. I always thought needed a firmer mattress for support. No. Firmer mattress offers too much resistance to heavier / pressure areas. In my case, lower third of torso. I have no problem with shoulder pain during sleep.

So off to buy softer mattress. Today went into a mattress store for first time. Uhhh. Not so much. Prefer department store. Where do you buy mattresses?

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, September 29, 2017 - 10:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Furniture store. We have the kind that vibrate, which is heaven, and you can raise/lower the head or feet. It is basically 2 larger twin mattresses side by side. I told hubby that just buying the king size would be a mistake because we would not want the same adjustments. It is pretty nice. When I couldn't manage stairs after surgeries, he was able to bring my bed downstairs.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, September 29, 2017 - 10:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
We refer to them as marshmallow mattresses as they have soft tops and can be a bit tricky or annoying to move around on them.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 6:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
At the mattress store yesterday, did try a vibrating mattress that raised/lowered head and feet. Very nice. Didn't ask price. I'd guess more than I'd want to spend. Vibrating reminded me of earthquake here in the Chicago area a few years ago. I was in bed on my side. My top leg was vibrating!!!!!!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 2:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Mattress store is best for buying mattress, but there are a lot of new stores I have seen advertising so you might want to google.

And you can try different chains. If you go to a department store you end up paying a lot more.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Costco beds got great reviews for their beds. I'm thinking from Consumer Reports, but I'm not sure where I read it.

I read a long time ago that mattress companies put different names on their mattresses from store to store. This way you can't compare prices. I dont know if the same thing is still true.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 8:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
We had our mattress custom made at McRoskey mattress in San Francisco. We got a soft. It is heaven. I know Colordeagua can't get one there, but somebody in the San Francisco Bay Area might be interested. I have an idea SanFranJoshFan might live right around the corner from the mattress factory. It has been in business for maybe a hundred years, and people from all over the world do buy them, though.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 6:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Yesterday I went back to department store where I've done most of my mattress buying. Saw Diane as usual. Thank you, Diane. Said I have lower back / hip ache again. She suggested trying a foam roller. I'd never heard of them. Got this one at nearby Target. Tried it briefly in bed. Put it under my back and started moving to roll it lower. YOW! It hit whatever spot in my back. I didn't know there was a single spot. It was a case of "it hurt so good". It felt good. Even my mattress felt better after that. Will certainly continue using it. I think I'm done with mattress shopping.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 8:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Huh!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: