TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Streaming Media Players

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Streaming Media Players users admin

Whoami

08-02-2001

Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 1:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Just thought we could open up discussions on Streaming Media Players, such as Roku, Amazon Fire TV, etc. Which one do you have? What are the Pro's/Con's? Do you have any problems, questions, etc?

Whoami

08-02-2001

Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
I have a Roku 3. I like it ok. Just still not like "real" TV (which we haven't had since we moved).

We have subscriptions to Netflix and Hulu Plus. Hulu isn't too bad. Several shows from the current season are on it. But CBS is very stingy. No Survivor past Season 26, same with Amazing Race. We also can't find anything where we can watch a live football game.

One question I have on the Roku is, can I password protect it so certain unwanted people can't just help themselves to using it? I've been able to password protect my computers, Kindles, and phone. But can't find a way to keep someone's grubby little fingers off my Roku.

Debra

11-19-2003

Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 2:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Debra a private message Print Post    
Who,
I asked my son and here is his response.

I don't think there is a way to protect the device itself because most of the content requires you to login i.e. Netflix or Amazon stream (the two we use) you could just suggest logging out of those things with each use but that might be kind of a hassle to login each time.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 2:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
I have a Chromecast, and have pre-ordered a Amazon Firestick. I only use the Chromecast for Netflix. Will use the Firestick for Amazon Prime

Christy358

07-10-2007

Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 10:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
I have an HD Tivo with the life time subscription. I think the loud noise now coming from it is the fan. Will replacing the fan negate the life time subscription?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, December 26, 2014 - 7:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Christy, have you tried calling TiVo? (877) 367-8486 I'd GUESS it wouldn't negate subscription, but I don't know. I had an HD. Now have Premiere XL. I've had TiVo since May '04. I've heard it is the best DVR. One of the worst for streaming though. I have a Fire TV for streaming. It's good. Only stream Amazon videos and Netflix. Can't believe how "TV" has changed in my lifetime!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, December 26, 2014 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
No - we've had TIVO since it first came out almost 20 years ago. We got the lifetime subscription and have used at least 5 different receivers in that time. You just lose whatever you have stored on that particular hard drive when you change units.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Friday, December 26, 2014 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
Teach, So if I bought a new Tivo, I could transfer the lifetime subscription to the new Tivo?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, December 26, 2014 - 9:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I think so. Your account number doesn't change just because you upgrade units. We've always had it through DirecTV, but I don't think that matters.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, December 26, 2014 - 9:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Are you sure, Teach? I'm on my 3rd TiVo box. Far as I know, if you buy Lifetime TiVo service it stays with one particular box. I sold my TiVo HD box and the Lifetime service for it which I had originally purchased. I then bought new Premiere XL box and Lifetime service to go with it.

Teach, that must be something related to DirecTV. If you're simply buying TiVo, Lifetime service is for a particular box. I've never had cable or satellite. I just buy TiVo for antenna / OTA TV.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, December 27, 2014 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Asked DH about it, and he wasn't sure, but thought it was DirecTV. He didn't know if it was even offered any more.

Mamapors

07-29-2004

Saturday, December 27, 2014 - 12:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamapors a private message Print Post    
Who, CBS is the first network channel to do it's own online subscribing. It is called CBS All Access.

http://www.cbs.com/all-access/

I believe this is the future of Television, and CBS is just the first to do it! Well along with HBO.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, December 27, 2014 - 4:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Mama, I think you're right about the future of TV. It sure ain't what it used to be. It is changing. To think I'm old enough to remember small octagonal or square with rounded corners TV screens.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 4:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
How many of us remember when TV went completely off air around midnight?!

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 5:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Yep, they played the Star Spangled Banner and signed off!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 6:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And then it went to test pattern in B&W of course.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 6:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian-head_test_pattern

tp

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I'd heard it was coming . . . . Advertised on DWTS last night -- HBONOW coming in April on Apple TV, iPad, and iPhone. $14.99 per month. As I've never had cable or satellite and don't want it, I am very interested in this. I have Fire TV for streaming. So I called Amazon and asked. HBO is on Apple devices exclusively for the first three month, then it will be on Fire TV. For asking, the Amazon customer service person gave me $5 credit for a digital purchase. Amazon had the best customer service. Not just because of that -- simply THE BEST.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, January 30, 2017 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Does anyone have Sling TV and do you like it?

I'm thinking of getting it and cutting the cable cord. I saw that if you prepay the first month you can get a free roku or a huge discount on other streaming devices.

For $25 a month I can watch all the cable channels I watch now in real time compared to $100 for cable now and get rid of Hulu (another $10). There really isn't anything on TV now, anyway.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: