TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 22, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 22, 2014 users admin

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 6:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Try this. But be sure to just click on where it says "Begin Test".

http://www.speedtest.net/

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I just used that test. Yes, clicked on "Begin Test".

Down 14.99 Mbps Up 0.40 Mbps

I'm paying for / should get 18 Mbps. Should that be constant? So is 15 purdy good generally? 3 Mbps make a noticeable difference?

Mamapors

07-29-2004

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamapors a private message Print Post    
Mine varies when I test. And the closer I am to the modem, the better it is. I think that is pretty good!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 8:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I'm generally using my laptop VERY CLOSE to the modem. That's where I am now.

Mamapors

07-29-2004

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 8:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamapors a private message Print Post    
I am supposed to be getting 100 Mbps, and I just tested and I am getting 91. I feel pretty good about that! I only get 100 if I am right on top of the modem, which is in another room for me. Maybe someone feels differently, but I think getting 15 if your max is 18 is a good thing.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 8:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
100 ?? I'm only 18?! Checked AT&T here -- available download speeds: 45 18 6 3. Should have checked more before. Now I know 45 is available.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 8:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I'm guessing Mamapors has comcast like I do. Premiere triple play customers got upgraded to 105 Mpbs down / 10 Mbps up last spring.

I get 95 out of 105 wired, and 75 Mbps through wifi, and I can't complain at all.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 9:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
When I tested recently I got 67 down through WiFi. It varies quite a bit though. If you're paying for 18 and getting 15 that's pretty good. 3 Mbps at that speed won't be noticeable.

How fast do you need/want? It depends on what you are doing with it. IMO 15 is plenty fast for surfing the web. The other thing to consider is latency (how fast you connect after you click to put it simply). Slow latency can be very annoying.

Around 100. Show-offs.

(I know you download lots of stuff so you're making good use of it!)

Mamapors

07-29-2004

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 9:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamapors a private message Print Post    
Yep Comcast here! I love my internet speed and feel very fortunate!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 9:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
The other thing to consider is latency (how fast you connect after you click to put it simply). Slow latency can be very annoying.

I think that has been with DSL and may still be some problem. I click / hit enter and may get "you're not connected to the internet" first. I wait a few seconds or may have to refresh to get page to download -- with DSL and still.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 1:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
on my desktop that is hardwired into the modem (comcast) I get 147, on my laptop at the whole other end of the house, in the bedroom I get 89. My up is 27

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 5:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 6:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
We have Time Warner here and their advertised max Internet speed is 50Mbps which obviously is nice though not up to some of the numbers I'm seeing above. I've stayed with AT&T for Internet as part of a bundle and have 18Mbps which is good enough for us. Typically it tests between 15 and 18.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 6:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Mack.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Help...SOS....

I have an iMac Desktop which has been running very slowly for the past few days. When posting at websites, it takes forever and a day for the post to go through. Also, I cannot watch a YouTube without constant stops. We have internet connection with Time Warner Cable.

I ran the speedtest link above and got:
Ping 17ms
Download Speed 11.42 Mbps
Upload Speed 2.04 Mbps

Then after running the test, a pop up came from MacKeeper telling me that I can boost my Mac Speed with MacKeeper. I'm sure there's a cost involved but would this help my slow connection?

Thanks for any help from you.

Egbok

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Egbok, you can see just yesterday I switched from AT&T DSL to U-Verse. My MacBook Pro has been running slow too for couple / few months at least. Don't know that I notice much change in speed after above.

I am no techie for sure. Don't know much re this type of thing, but I would be wary about something like MacKeeper. I'm getting pop-ups and ads for it too. Me -- I wouldn't.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 10:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Color, I didn't click onto MacKeeper. And let me say how surprised I am to see that my post went through! After literally 3-4 minutes of waiting to preview/post, I clicked off TVCH and called Time Warner Cable about my slow internet connection.

They had me unplug my wireless router and re-plug it back in after a few seconds. Then they asked me type twc.com/speedtest (LOL!) into my browser. I did and per the TWC rep, I had a great outcome on the test results. My Mac is now connecting quickly and I'm a happy camper.

The TWC rep said that I should do the "unplug the wireless router" on occasion to refresh the internet connectivity.

I'm not sure but it sounds like you are still dealing with slow connection on your Mac?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 11:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Yes. Don't think it was ever as bad as yours. New modem yesterday. Same Apple Extreme router that I've had since February '10. Update for it recently. Maybe I'll try unplugging / plugging it? Am I going to mess up network doing that?

Just ran test -- 14.93 Mbps. Paying for 18.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, November 21, 2014 - 8:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That's really an okay result for what you're paying for, Color.

You can unplug your router and plug it back in again. It may help and it shouldn't do any harm.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Friday, November 21, 2014 - 9:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Hi Color, did you try to unplug and then re-plug your router? I'm curious if it helped...

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, November 21, 2014 - 10:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
No, haven't as yet. I'm always anxious about messin' up what's workin'. This weekend maybe?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, November 21, 2014 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, unplugging and replugging is SOP for almost any problem with a router.. in fact that is the first thing they will tell you if you call 95% of the time.

That is what you do if a wifi device isn't connecting.. plug/unplug.

Same with my DVR boxes.. at least when they start getting wonky.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 8:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Ah the time honoured techniques.

(Which often work.)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I've always wondered.. some many devices have an actual reset button or a hold to poke to push a recessed button but customer service ALWAYS says just unplug and replug.

Mungus

02-16-2012

Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 2:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mungus a private message Print Post    
Reset buttons likely act as a 'soft boot' of the router, restarting it, but retaining any settings (such as internet protocol (IP) settings. By unplugging the power we do a 'hard boot' flushing any remembered (or forgotten) IP's happens by a process called IPConfig /RELEASE followed by IPConfig /RENEW. That usually fixes the (missing) IP address causing your router to not talk to the rest of the net.