TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 16, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 16, 2014 users admin

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
That's fine, and we're just stating ours. Penny pinchers are us.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 10:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Dipo, I would check prices and then buy Karuuna's modem. I am almost always the most or second most thrifty person in any crowd.

When I reconnected my internet and television after being gone for the winter this spring, I started having connectivity problems, and Comcast sent out a repair guy for free and he GAVE me a wireless router for free. I do have to return it to Comcast one of these days, but I was amazed.

Oh, and yes, you DO have to have a modem for your internet to work. And no, you can't plug directly into your laptop.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, June 02, 2014 - 12:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, well I am not sure I need a new one since I have had no issues since yesterday. I will see if it happens today around the same time.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Monday, June 02, 2014 - 1:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
with comcast I have a combination modem/router (the newest that they offer) and the X1 platform. It is the difference as to why people lease or buy cars. It is also why I rent my home and will not buy. If it breaks, I don't have to pay to get it fixed. Just call and someone else (in this case, Comcast) just replaces it.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, June 22, 2014 - 3:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I was at TVCH on Google Chrome and suddenly the page shrank.

I am on Internet Explorer now to ask the question as to how to enlarge the printing.

My e-mail Outlook enlarged a couple days ago and I don't know how to make it smaller.

Can somebody tell me what to do?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, June 22, 2014 - 3:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Try holding down the Ctrl key and then pressing 0 (zero). That should make it normal.

(Oops! That would work if you were using Internet Explorer. I'm not sure about Chrome.)

ETA: Just tried it and it works for Chrome too.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, June 22, 2014 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
It worked!!!!!!

Thank you Jimmer!

It is back to normal!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, June 22, 2014 - 4:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Just to add to that, if you do:

Ctrl 0, that's back to standard settings.

Ctrl +, enlarges the type

Ctrl -, makes the type smaller.

(If you are on a Mac, just use Command (apple key) instead of control.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, June 22, 2014 - 5:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
This is why I love TVCH!

Thank you!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, June 22, 2014 - 8:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
If you are on a Mac, just use Command (apple key) instead of control.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, July 06, 2014 - 10:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Jimmer! I have been using Ctrl + and - for years, but never heard of Ctrl 0. Not that I need to use it, but I may one of these days. Or I will forget it before I ever need to use it. Sigh. But, thanks anyway.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 1:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Last night I received a phone call for a fellow with a foreign accent saying he was with Microsoft Windows and he was calling because my computer had a virus.

This is a scam!

Microsoft Impersonation Scam

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/microsoft.asp

The person who called gave his name as Luke Wright, phone # 786-220-3237. He wants you to turn on your computer and hold down the "windows" key together with the "R" key. Don't do anything he wants, hang up!

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 3:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Big time scam Kitkat. I get these about once a week right now. The guy or gal usually have names like Mike or Sally but obviously live in India or Pakistan. I tell them my name is Raj.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 7:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Good one, Mack. LOL

Christy358

07-10-2007

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 11:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
I just got a computer with windows 8. How do I turn it off for the night? LOL

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
If you right click on the little 4 window thing in the lower left corner you will see shut down or sign out. Click on that and there are several options.

Is this what you were looking for?

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 4:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I got the new MSN homepage today.

I cannot find a place on it to type in a subject and hit 'search'

how can I find a way to search the web now?

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 6:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I think I figured it out, but I have to go to Apps and then Google search.

Thank you.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, October 06, 2014 - 2:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I have a Poloraoid PDC3070 digital camera. Normally I can just plug the cables in and import the photos. This time I had trouble and some Dvd player thing came up.

Oh, never mind I can't even find the name of the program that came up. I just wanted to transfer my photos over.

I am going to call the computer men to teach me how to deal with the camera since I plan on taking a lot of pictures on my cruise.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, October 06, 2014 - 3:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
You might want to consider just buying a newer camera, Dipo. They have some nice models out now that would probably work better for you (Canon, Nikon, etc.).

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, October 06, 2014 - 5:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Jimmer I hardly ever use it as it is, don't really want to invest more. I will see what the computer guy says, I have 3 other issues which I attribute to windows 8.

For some reason my computer and printer don't realize I can scan documents. I can print fine, but no scanning.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 11:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Computer / computer related question.

This coming Wednesday morning I have AT&T scheduled to come here and install U-Verse for my internet connection (nothing else). I've had DSL for a number of years. As per this note on the "phone box" in the utility room (I'm in a condo), I have two phone lines into my unit -- one line to talk on which also is connected to front door of building and the other is for DSL. AT&T office tells me a 2nd line is not needed for U-Verse / fiber optics. They're going to kill my 2nd line Wednesday morning most likely before AT&T tech gets here.

Can somebody confirm that I don't need the 2nd phone line for U-Verse / fiber optics? Not looking for a detailed explanation, but something simple how it will work with only one phone line.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Sunday, November 16, 2014 - 12:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Our AT&T U-Verse comes in on one line, and we have our phone line, TV and computers plugged into a router. At one point, we had one phone line, three TV's and four computers connected (with cables running from the router under the house to different rooms).

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, November 16, 2014 - 12:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
But the thing is -- the "entry system" between individual units and the front door can't work on same phone line that runs "digital high speed [internet] connection." Therefore I have two lines now -- voice / entry system and DSL.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, November 16, 2014 - 7:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I think I've now got it figured out enough for myself. When I had DSL installed, AT&T tech did have to lay extra piece of wire within my unit. I've been paying $15 per month for the usual AT&T juice to run on it so I could talk. It has a phone number assigned to it. But I never used it for voice, only for DSL. So AT&T can kill it Wednesday morning . . . but the separate wire will still be there so can be used however for higher speed connection.