TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 28, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 28, 2014 users admin

Luvmom

10-17-2000

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Luvmom a private message Print Post    
Thanks guys. :-)

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 4:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
How do you know if your modem and router are separate. I don't know what they look like.

Comcast is coming to the house to check on my problem.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Luvmom, I Googled your problem, and there were several folks saying same thing happened to them over the years and telling what they did to fix it. I just figured you probably Googled after you didn't get an answer here right away.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 4:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I was wondering, I deleted a bunch of files and uninstalled a bunch of programs on my xtra laptop. I am now running the defrag program.

Does doing a defrag sufficiently rewrite over the old files? as in they wouldn't be easily recovered. I was thinking about how when you delete files they really are deleted. TIA

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 10:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Dipo, answer is no, that is not sufficient. Google things like "wipe hard drive to sell." I am selling one of my spare laptops to a friend, and I am facing wiping the hard drive, so I researched this about a month ago (also promptly forgot most of it, and haven't done it yet, so will have to research again). I did make these notes to myself as a result of my research: "Use DBAN to wipe hard drive; Reinstall OS" I thought I bookmarked a website telling me how to do it, but I don't see it. Anyway, you will run across it if you Google as I suggested. Good luck.

And if you are just donating your old computer, it will be a whole lot easier to just remove the hard drive and donate it without the hard drive. That way you will know nobody else has your files. And again, you can just Google how to remove hard drive for your particular model computer.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, March 17, 2014 - 2:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks juju, I am actually keeping it in my kitchen to use for my recipe files but just wondered. Good to know it is not enough when I end up getting rid of it.

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 7:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Until a few months ago I had three or four old hard drives that I had removed from either old computers or where I'd moved up to a larger hard drive. I finally got around to asking my company's IT guy if he still had the mass eraser, really nothing more than a large electromagnet, I knew he once had and if so could I use it to wipe the old drives. He told me that they'd given up the mass eraser. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I was expecting that they'd come up with some high tech solution and was surprised when he showed me their solution....a standard drill and metal bit. They drill three or four holes through the disk and it shatters the disk beyond salvage. EZPZ.

Skootz

07-22-2003

Friday, March 21, 2014 - 8:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Skootz a private message Print Post    
My computer is now telling me my windows is not genuine...I can't find the disk so now what? I don't want to have to purchase another cert. copy

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate - any suggestions?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, March 21, 2014 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I don't know what to tell you Skootz.

Sometimes I hate computers, Yahoo said my browser needed updating, so I thought, ok I will do it. So after the restart I couldn't get windows to load. After several reboots, I had to uninstall the yahoo thing and restore my computer to the 3/18 setting. So annoying.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, March 21, 2014 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I would contact the Microsoft Help Desk if I were you. It may be a virus causing this and they would know by the error message.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, March 21, 2014 - 11:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Skootz, just wait a few days, and try again. I think "almost" everyone with windows 7 got that message by mistake and got upset. I know for my 2 computers with windows 7, I got that message and it went away for good after a few tries and a few days checking for updates.

eta: in other words, it's a pretty common situation.

Skootz

07-22-2003

Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 5:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Skootz a private message Print Post    
Thanks Naja - however, it is still doing it, so I am just going to keep ignoring it for now I guess. Glad I am not the only one :-)

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, April 11, 2014 - 8:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Has anybody else had their Yahoo calendar quit sending them reminders? I have used the Yahoo calendar for ten or twelve years and never had any problems with it and have become quite dependent on it, actually. Maybe a year ago it quit sending me birthday notifications but continued to send me other notifications. Within the past month I have received no notifications whatsoever from my Yahoo calendar, but I have changed nothing about my account.

When I Google, I see quite a number of people who have had the same problem, and Yahoo always replies to them to check what e-mail they have inserted for notification and seems to give none of them any other help. Those other people, along with me, report that their notification e-mail shows just the same as it has always been.

If you have had this problem, how did you solve it, if you did? I have just created a brand new Google/Gmail calendar, but it was a pain, and I am not sure I am going to like it as well as Yahoo.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 2:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I don't know anything about Yahoo. Not a question, but an observation. Earlier today, I couldn't get these 4 keys to work: x,c,b, and the comma. They would not do anything. I used the caps lock, and now they are working again. I thought I was going to have to run out and buy a new keyboard. Would probably still be a good idea, but I'm happy they are working again. This keyboard was replaced on this laptop not too long ago. But not under warranty anymore.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 2:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
OMG, thank you heckagirl, I totally forgot I have a keyboard I can hook up to my laptop. I sort of screwed up mine by spilling a little coffee on it, LOL. So now the p, zero, and a few other keys are sort of intermittent in working. I have to cut and paste. I am going to key my keyboard now, LOL.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, April 18, 2014 - 4:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I suppose I know the answer to this, but . . . . I currently have AT&T DSL for internet connection. Never have had cable or satellite. I'm in a one bedroom condo. Building was designed and built years before cable. If you want cable, can only be punched in from the outside of the building through brick into the bedroom. Can't get in via living room. If you want to connect to TV in living room, have to lay wire in bedroom to common wall between bedroom and living room and punch through that.

But if you only want cable for internet connection, the "spaghetti bowl", modem, router, power strip would be in the bedroom where they punch in? Computer, printer, TiVo (wifi downloads for that), streaming are all used in living room. That still works? I'm not thrilled with having spaghetti bowl, etc. in my bedroom. I wouldn't be thinking about this, but Comcast is updating outside wiring and needs to get into all units. whether you have cable service or not, to do the work. So maybe . . . . I don't know.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, April 18, 2014 - 8:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I would just ask the Comcast guy, if he is coming into your place anyway, Color. They might have a way to make it sort of less obtrusive.

So I went and set up what I thought was a Gmail calendar since my Yahoo seems to have quit working. Except it was Google+ or something, where it is supposed to be tied in with all the other nifty social stuff you are doing on Google+, which, of course, I am not. So I wasn't getting reminders from that calendar either. So I found this free thing called Remindeo, and set it up to send me some reminders, and it seems okay, and it sends reminders to one or more e-mails that you specify. And now both Yahoo and Gmail have started working and sending reminders. I mean - What in tarnation is going on here???

Egbok

07-13-2000

Friday, April 18, 2014 - 11:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I mean - What in tarnation is going on here???

I'll answer that question. It means you are now getting 3 reminders which can be a good thing for an ol' dawg. <=== said with lots of puppy love

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 10:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Colord, some crafty folks I know got a small nightstand (fully enclosed, one door in front). They carved out holes in the back for the cables to enter and exit. Everything is inside the nightstand except the router.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, sounds like an idea.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
my brothers computer has been taken over by something called mysearchdial. Can someone direct me to a safe place to get rid of this? I am afraid to use something that might make things worse.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Monday, April 21, 2014 - 5:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Well, this seems helpful. I didn't even know where to begin changing passwords WRT the Heartbleed issues: Gives a checklist as to what/which companies have made a fix:

The Heartbleed Hit List: The Passwords You Need to Change Right Now
http://mashable.com/2014/04/09/heartbleed-bug-websites-affected/

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Microsoft warns of Internet Explorer security gap
The Associated Press

REDMOND, Wash. -- Microsoft says a security gap in Internet Explorer could allow an attacker to take complete control of a computer if the user clicks on a link to a malicious website.

The vulnerability affects versions 6 through 11 of the Web browser.

Microsoft Corp. said Saturday that it was aware of "limited, targeted attacks" that tried to exploit the security gap. The company is working on a safety fix which it will provide in an upcoming software update.

In the meantime, Microsoft encourages customers to enable a firewall, apply all software updates and install anti-malware software.

A division of the Homeland Security Department recommends users download a security toolkit from Microsoft or use another browser until an update becomes available.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/04/28/4085376/microsoft-warns-of-internet-explorer.html#storylink=cpy

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 2:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Looks like I'm back to using Firefox then. I kind of have a love/hate relationship with IE and Firefox. I use one until I get annoyed with it and then switch and so on and so on.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 9:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
Our friend was stressing over this today.
We'd both used IE all morning, no issues came up.
My work didn't send out any warning.
But to make her (and konashark) happy, I made sure both our home computers had Chrome installed and included all our bookmarks.