TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 25, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: QUICK QUESTIONS: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 25, 2014 users admin

Gumby

08-14-2004

Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 2:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gumby a private message Print Post    
A guy at work gave us all some butternut squash today. Does anyone know what to do with them?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Cut them in half, roast them in the oven, and then scoop it out and use it like you would pumpkin pie filling. We've done this for the past 4 years, and no one at Thanksgiving can tell which pies are made with butternut squash and which are made with pumpkin.

There are also a lot of yummy soup recipes out there. After roasting it, you can also just blend it and throw it in the freezer. :-)

Gumby

08-14-2004

Friday, November 08, 2013 - 8:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gumby a private message Print Post    
Thank you Teach! I'm going to try that.

Jewels

09-22-2000

Friday, November 08, 2013 - 9:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jewels a private message Print Post    
There are some really yummy soups recipes with butternut squash!

Tishala

08-01-2000

Friday, November 08, 2013 - 10:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Ina Garten'e recipe for butternut squash risotto is to. Die. For.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, December 16, 2013 - 7:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Anyone have a good green bean recipe that is not a casserole?

Mamapors

07-29-2004

Monday, December 16, 2013 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamapors a private message Print Post    
Our Christmas staple. Par boil green beans, Cook bacon till almost crisp. Gather 4/5/6 green beans, wrap with partially cooked bacon, secure with a toothpick. Pour melted butter over and sprinkle with brown sugar. Cook at 375 until bacon crisps and the beans get hot! Soooo good!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, December 16, 2013 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
A couple of pieces of GOOD bacon (not that fatty crap you get from Oscar Meyer), chopped small with a small red onion diced -- saute both until bacon is crisped. Add in beans (don't drain - if it's good bacon, there will only be about 1 TB or so of fat). Stir, and then cover and cook until beans are crisp/tender.

Jewels

09-22-2000

Monday, December 16, 2013 - 9:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jewels a private message Print Post    
I do one like Teach's, but instead of red onion I cook up some yellow onion, stir in with the bacon and beans. So yummy!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, December 16, 2013 - 10:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
They sound yummy! Thanks so much.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, December 23, 2013 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So is there any problem with me peeling and cutting up my potatoes (for garlic mashed) and putting them in water in the fridge? I am just trying to figure out as many things that I can do ahead to be all ready for cooking. TIA

Holly

07-21-2001

Monday, December 23, 2013 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Can cheese be frozen? I'm curious about all kinds, i.e. cheese blocks, bags of shredded, brie and camembert rounds etc. I've bought way too much and won't have time to do the baked bries I had planned. TIA

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, December 23, 2013 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Holly, I found this. I was thinking that you can freeze those big blocks because I remember my Mom doing that but I don't know about Brie.

Question: My local grocery store is currently running a special on cheddar cheese. Is it a good idea to stock up and freeze it?

Answer: You can freeze cheese successfully if you’re planning to use it for cooking purposes.

Frozen cheese will remain safe to consume, but it will typically change texture and often become crumbly once thawed, says the National Dairy Council.

For that reason, you shouldn't count on serving the frozen cheddar at your next cocktail party. But it should be fine for use in cooked dishes like sauces, soups and casseroles.

While you can freeze just about any type of cheese, the firmer varieties — such as cheddar, gouda and Swiss — tend to come through the freezing process with the least damage to texture and flavor. For best results, keep cheese frozen for no more than 6 months.

When freezing cheese, cut it into portions no larger than 1/2 pound each, and wrap tightly in airtight wrapping or place inside a heavy-duty freezer bag. You can also grate cheese before freezing and place it in a freezer bag.

Be sure to thaw the frozen cheese in your refrigerator, and plan to use it within two or three days.

See Also:
10 Surprising Foods You Can Freeze
Can You Freeze Milk Successfully?
Is Yogurt Still Safe After the Sell-By Date?

http://stilltasty.com/questions/index/135/page:1

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, December 23, 2013 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Oh and I forgot, I found that I can do my potatoes, put them in a container with water to cover and stick them in the fridge! Yeah, now I can go make my roasted garlic and get that done as well.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Monday, December 23, 2013 - 10:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Sorry, Dipo, just saw your question. I do peel my potatoes the night before and put them in the fridge with enough water to cover them. I've done it forever, just remember to rinse them again before you put them in fresh water to cook.

Holly

07-21-2001

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 6:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Dipo. That's very helpful :-)

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 3:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
The flu hit my household so Christmas has been delayed to New Year's day. I made two dips...a spinach artichoke dip that is sour cream based and a mexican corn and black bean dip that is cream cheese based with grated cheese in it.
Will these last in the fridge a week? If not, can they be frozen?

Gumby

08-14-2004

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gumby a private message Print Post    
Tex, most dips will last about 10 days in the refrigerator. I wouldn't freeze them. The sour cream becomes grainy when frozen and the grated cheese will lose moisture and will crumble easily. I would keep them in the crisper drawer to help keep them fresh and maybe stir them every couple of days to keep them from becoming watery. I'm so sorry your family is sick and didn't get to enjoy the holiday!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, December 27, 2013 - 3:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, next up. I am thinking about a New Years Day Menu, so far I have black-eyed peas, deviled eggs and ?????. I was thinking maybe chili, but then thought you guys might have better ideas.

Oh, I think I am supposed to have some greens, so maybe some sort of spinach dish.

Let me know.

Gumby

08-14-2004

Friday, December 27, 2013 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gumby a private message Print Post    
Tradition says you're supposed to have pork and sauerkraut but that doesn't fly in my house. We usually do something different, like round steak and gravy, mashed potatoes and corn. Or maybe just peanut butter and jelly if they all don't straighten up by then!

Kmm

10-07-2005

Friday, December 27, 2013 - 8:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kmm a private message Print Post    
That made me laugh, Gumby!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, December 28, 2013 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Gumby, the steak sounds good. Maybe I should do something with all the chicken I have in the freezer.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
lol Gumby!

Happymom

01-20-2003

Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 11:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
Dipo, if you didn't have ham for Christmas, I think it would go nicely with what you are already making. And it's so easy. So is spinach salad and you can make that a bit more special by using bits of goat cheese, chopped nuts/candied nuts, and craisins along with a bright fresh dressing, maybe something citrus based.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
The Jalapeno Cheese Sauce I am making calls for jalapeno peppers but I only have Anaheim Peppers, do you think it work as well? I know they are probably not as hot as jalapenos, and I might have a can in my pantry but I have fresh Anaheim's and would like to use some of them.

What do you think?