TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 21, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: QUICK QUESTIONS: ARCHIVES: Archive through August 21, 2013 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 8:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, TNT, good idea.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, July 08, 2013 - 8:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, I am going to a July 4th potluck on Wednesday. I had been planning to do baked beans but now I have been asked to bring appetizer instead. There are going to be 50 people there, I don't have to have enough for 50 but a good portion.

Any good ideas?

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Monday, July 08, 2013 - 8:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
my daughter made turkey meatballs for our last family function. She baked them, then they were in Mr. Yoshida's sauce. It is at Costco.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 3:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Check the frozen foods at your grocery. There are mini-corndogs on the market - 40 to a box, I believe - that are really popular, heated in the micro or real oven and served with mustard and ketchup dipping sauces.

Frozen meatballs are also available in the frozen food section.

Buy sliced ham and/or turkey in a package. Spread each slice with cream cheese and rolls up. Let chill several hours, slice w/scissors, and serve with salsa for dipping.

Spread Ritz crackers with Cheesewhiz and dip cheesy side into chopped pecans.

These are all quick and easy and relatively inexpensive solutions - my favorite kind when serving a crowd.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 1:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Hummus and bagel chips, and then some cut up fruit with a dip.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 2:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, I have hummus and pita crackers as a back up to the guacamole I want to make.

Unfortunately the avocados are pretty hard. I have them in paper bags with an apple to try and ripen them by tomorrow morning.

I may have some commercially prepared guacamole in the freezer, I should pull that out to thaw.

I just don't know if I will be able to make fresh guac and if I don't what the heck am I going to do with 10 avocados, LOL. That is a little more avocado than I can eat up. Next I will be in here for avocado recipes, LOL.

Plus now I have 4 cans of pork n beans that I had originally gotten to make baked beans, I guess I will donate a couple of cans to the food bank, the rest of the stuff for my recipe I can use (bacon and bbq sauce). Next time I will stick to my guns on what I wanted to bring.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, August 02, 2013 - 6:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So, I pulled some frozen garbanzo and kidney beans out of the freezer and set them in the sink. I totally forgot about them and found them this morning.

Should I throw them out?

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 2:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Sorry I didn't see this until today, so I am sure my answer is not in time to be helpful! If they were still cool to the touch, they were probably okay to use. Neither of them are foods that spoil easily -

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 4:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
thanks, TNT, I decided since I have a ton of them in cans in the pantry I would just start over with fresh ones, LOL.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 6:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Okay, my food guru a is out of town and food guru b uses only fresh tomatoes, so my question is who has a good canned tomato salsa recipe?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 2:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, TNT, I was just watching a youtube yesterday about gazpaucho and the "Italian" chef, he was on top chef at one time, can't remember his name, said that canned tomatoes are equal to fresh, so I would just use a normal salsa recipe.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 8:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Do you mean you want a recipe that uses canned tomatoes or you want a recipe where you are able to can the salsa you make?

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, August 19, 2013 - 4:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
The former, Teach!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, August 19, 2013 - 10:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Hmmm...haven't heard of any, but I'd guess (like Dipo) that if you used diced tomatoes and just drained them, they'd be pretty darn close - especially for a salsa like pico de gallo or other chunky style.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, August 19, 2013 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I found plenty on line but would always have a "tried and true" for a friend. I will do what I often do which is read a half dozen recipes and then do what I think tastes best!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, August 19, 2013 - 5:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, TNT that is what I do, you really can't screw up salsa, just depends on whether you like cilantro or not. That is the only spice that I know of where some people just hate it in their salsa.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, August 19, 2013 - 9:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Then they had better back away from my salsa! For me cilantro is quintesentially Mexican, and it goes in all of my south of the border dishes -

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, August 19, 2013 - 9:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL. I agree.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 6:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
We're gonna' get along just fine, TNT! :-)

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 2:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Teach - please be thinking about a dinner destination for us for Friday night. I won't want anything really HEAVY after being in the car all day, but something yummy - maybe two apps? - where they also serve wine would be perfect!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 8:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I asked my family, and they said the inn where you're staying is actually pretty good! (I'll e-mail you the PDF of their menu.) I'm still looking, though - we don't eat out that way often, and when we do, the kid usually likes TGIF or Olive Garden style chain restaurants. I'm trying to remember the name of the pub I went to a couple of years ago, so if I can find that, I'll send it along in an e-mail, too. :-)

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 2:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
The place I am staying is so modestly priced that I am surprised the restaurant is good! But that would work fine!

The motel reviews were all "excellent" to "good" which is VERY surprising at an under $60 motel!

The company is the important thing! Followed by the wine!

I leave a week from today - I am stoked!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 7:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
:-) Isn't that funny? I'll ask today to see if anyone has actually eaten there, but the reviews for the restaurant appear as good as the reviews for the hotel.

Can I just add a YAY! Your visit is my first "fun" activity planned for the school year. I'm going to try to do at least one totally fun, non-school related thing a month to make the year more enjoyable, and our get-together will be a rousing way to start it off!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 8:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
TNT perhaps you can convince TEACH to come visit us too... :-)

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Well,Teach, what a nice compliment! I hope that meeting me will be a nice enough experience for the month of September to convince you to continue the plan!

And, if it isn't, don't give up! Every step outside the "ruts" of our lives gives us wonderful new vistas to explore! I am all about adding adventure into my life!!