TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 16, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 16, 2013 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Absolutely, Jimmer.

Bob2112

06-12-2002

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 12:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bob2112 a private message Print Post    
Comcast (and most prodviders) "leases" the IP address to your cable modem for several days based on the cable modem MAC address, so you have to follow the procedure above to get a new IP address. During the lease period you will continue to receive the same IP address, even if you leave the modem off all night. Even when the lease period expires (7 days is common), you typically get reassigned the same IP address for 7 more days. Buying a new router gets you a new MAC address and therefore a new IP address, but that solution gets a little pricey.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 12:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Thanks Bob! I have a telephony modem, so it would be very pricey.

I know I could count on TVCHers to find an answer! :-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 2:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thank you Naja, it is IE. I didn't even think to google, I always come here first, LOL.

See it never even occurred to me that cookies would be on the privacy tab, LOL, I looked around on the tools but there wasn't anything labeled cookies that I saw, LOL.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, July 12, 2013 - 9:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
You're welcome, Dipo :-)

Bob2112, I want to respond to your comment that Comcast leases IPs for days. The reason I eventually sought out a way to change my IP was because it had remained the same for many months. I think at 8 months was my alarm point (About back in 2005). So if they lease the ips for days, they must lease the same ones over and over, because mine never changes unless I change it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, July 12, 2013 - 10:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I was too late to edit my post above, but I tried to add this edit:

eta: my ip was something I paid close attention to because I ran an ftp server from my PC to let my brother log in to grab Sopranos eps and other things I had recorded.

Bob2112

06-12-2002

Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 10:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bob2112 a private message Print Post    
Naja, I think it is sometimes called a sticky dynamic IP address. The lease is renewed automatically every few days, as long as you have the same MAC address. Once the specific MAC address is gone, that IP lease will expire and get assigned to someone else.

In older hardware, the MAC comes from a chip and can not be changed. Sounds like you can now override the hard coded MAC, which is cool when you run into issues like Karuuna's.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 2:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I swear I don't know how I do these things. I was watching a youtube and somehow sort of hit the screen and I don't know clicked something and now all I get is a green screen with audio. If I put my cursor on the timeline thing I can see the actual youtube, but I have clicked on all things to try and get the picture back but I just can't find anything to change to get it back.

Any ideas?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 2:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, nevermind! I remembered to google and got an answer that solved my issue!!!

Debra

11-19-2003

Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 9:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Debra a private message Print Post    
Yay Dipo!

Gumby

08-14-2004

Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 8:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gumby a private message Print Post    
Every time we shut down our computer it installs quite a few updates. We can't tell what the updates are. If we shut it down and turn it right back on, there are more updates to install. Does anyone know how to find out what they are and how we can stop it? Thanks!

Mack

07-22-2002

Monday, July 15, 2013 - 3:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
If you're running Windows 7 as your operating system you've probably gotten somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 updates in the last few days. To see what updates Windows has installed just open the Windows Update and click Update History and it'll show you a list of recent updates. The more Microsoft programs you run the more updates so if your computer also has Microsoft Office there were probably updates there too. Typically Microsoft pushes updates early in the week so I was kind of surprises at the number I had this weekend but then again I was working with our laptops which weren't on earlier in the week. It took some time and a couple of restarts to work through them. Since the updates appear to have addressed security issues I would not recommend you stop the updates.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, September 20, 2013 - 12:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Bad AT&T. And badder me? Late last night and still early this morning -- no internet. What???? So I called AT&T early this morning. I specifically asked if there was a problem in my area. No. So we start working on things. No internet. AT&T said would send tech out today between 8:00 and 8:00. No smaller window. Said I would not be home until 2:30. Said she'd make a note for the tech. I got home earlier. It was all a BIG mess. BIG. I am working again. And part of the problem was my fault. Stupid mistake. I apologized.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 3:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I don't know if this is a computer problem but:

I have had SKYPE for years. The last four days I cannot get on to it.

I get a message "We cannot open SKYPE. You are already signed in on this computer. Please sign out and in again."

Should I just open a new SKYPE account?

By 'sign out' do they mean just hit the red X.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 12:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So which is the bad IE, 10, 9, 8?? All of a sudden when I am in IE, I get a message that says it has stopped working and then an ask to restore. So I have run spybot, etc to make sure there are no problems so then I uninstalled IE9, but I think it is the good one, LOL.

I noticed IE8 doesn't seem to have multiple tabs so I have to do multiple windows, at first I hated the multipe tabs but now I see I have become accustomed to them and don't like this multiple window thing LOL.

Anyway my question is which is the most current IE and which one is bad, LOL? TIA.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 2:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, and another question. on my comcast email sometimes I lose the bottom scroll bar so that means I have no little arrow in the lower right corner to help scroll. I have to open the email in a separate window in order to read the whole mail.

Anyone have any idea why this happens and any way I can fix it or manage to scroll? TIA.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 3:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The latest IE is version 10. With respect to your email, sometimes minimizing or resizing the window can fix that.

I don't know much about Skype, Dogdoc. Have you tried restarting your computer?

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 4:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, my niece just called and said what you just said.I just restarted my computer and SKYPE is back on.

Thank you.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 5:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks Jimmer. I may have figured it out. I did change the veiw option and that may have been the problem all along.

I did go ahead and reinstall IE9, so maybe all it back to normal, LOL.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 9:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I was having all kinds of problems with Facebook in Firefox only, not IE. So I ran Malwarebytes, and I had 1 malware. Removed it, and I now have Facebook on Firefox.

Gumby

08-14-2004

Friday, October 11, 2013 - 3:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gumby a private message Print Post    
My DH downloaded a game this week. Ever since then, there are hundreds of ads appearing on every site we go to, including TVCH. The virus scan doesn't show anything. Also ran Malware and that showed a bunch of stuff, we removed everything, but the ads are still there. Any suggestions?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, October 11, 2013 - 6:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Adblock plus - with the Fanboy filter. Works like a charm and is free! :-)

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, October 11, 2013 - 9:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Sometimes it's as easy as going into windows "add/remove" programs area, look at what was installed on that same date as the game, and uninstall it right there. Most likely it will be listed as some kind of toolbar.

(I use something called "perfect uninstaller" for most things)

Rosie

11-12-2003

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 11:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
I managed to download something called Pageset for my search engine. I think it is something by Google by am not positive. It has nice wallpaper to choose from.

Anyone else using Pageset?

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 2:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
Pageset is a browser hijacker. Here are tools on how to get rid of it.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/pageset-homepage-removal/