TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 11, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 11, 2013 users admin

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 8:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Ironically, I won't be able to see that link till I get my computer back.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 1:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
actually Juju meant that for Dipo, not Heckagirl631

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 3:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Oh, thanks Landileigh, I didn't realize that. I hope it works.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 5:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
OMG, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you Juju and Landileigh. My computer is working correctly, I can veiw pdfs again!!!! And it was surprisingly easy to uninstall IE10. I am so happy. All the other little weird problems I was having are also gone! Maybe I can even open up my secure email from BofA without it crashing my computer, amazing.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 8:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Thanks for keeping an eye on me, Landileigh. That is the second time I have addressed a reply to the wrong person in the past couple days.

Glad it worked, Dipo. I bet it was some weird combo of IE and Firefox and Windows all being updated and one of them conflicting with the other, just like I have been having the Adobe Flash thing crashing my computer. Eventually they will get it worked out, and one or all of them will come out with an even newer update so they are all compatible.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 11:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
What happens if YOU type - vet solutions.com - into your address bar? Similar to what I got??!! Not what I was expecting. No, nothing like that. I was trying to find info on a dog health related product.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 7:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
An update occurred last night and this morning I have a little note from my computer that says "Your browser's cookie functionality is turned off. Please turn it on."

If I want to turn this on where do I go to do it? I have no idea. TIA.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 8:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I desperately need help!

My DS does a lot of online gaming, and there are some unsavory characters out there. In a recent match, he ticked off one of these by winning, and that night, the sore loser subjected us to a number of DOS attacks, knocking us off the internet.

My DS gave him a wide berth after that, and subsequently we changed modems twice, which effectively changed our IP address, solving the issue.

Unfortunately, last night my DS ran across him by accident, and again last night, hours of DOS attacks during which we can't access the internet.

I've looked and looked and can't figure out how to change our IP address. Comcast is a bunch of idiots.

So, I'm asking the bright folks here. Is there anyway to force an IP address change, when you have a cable modem? The brand is Arris.

Please? I can't work under these conditions.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 8:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
Does your IP address change when you unplug your modem and plug it in again?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 9:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Rosie, I do have a different IP address this morning! We did unplug everything last night. So, is that all I need to do? Unplug the modem? I reset it yesterday morning, but didn't get a new IP address. Is there a length of time you need to unplug it?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 9:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
There is a chance that might work. Maybe unplug and wait 5 minutes (at least). If that doesn't work, you could try unplugging over-night. And even that may not work. It depends on how your ISP has set it up.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 9:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well I see it did work. That's happy news.

As I said above, it depends on how your ISP has set up things.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 9:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
I really do not know, Karuuna. It was just something to try.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
So, the only thing you can do is unplug and check?

Yesterday, when I started work in the morning my internet connection wasn't working, so I unplugged and replugged my modem (about 30 seconds). That put me back on the internet, but it didn't change my IP address. I'm confused.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, I have comcast with my own router. I can change my ip by going into my router settings. Under basic internet set-up, try to find a setting named "Router MAC Address". Put a tick next "use this mac address", and then change one character in the mac address and save it. For instance change a "d" to an "e", or a "3" to a "4", anything. Then save the settings and power cycle the router and modem, and when you are back online you will have a new IP. (actually, I always hit the reset button on my modem, and power cycle the router).

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
You're good Naja! That would be the way to do it for sure, though it is a bit more complicated than just unplugging.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 9:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Naja, thank you!! I found that setup, and will definitely try that next time. I'll have to print out your instructions so I'll have them when/if we get attacked again.

Darn hackers. And sore losers.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
You're welcome :-)

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 9:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, it may be more complicated, but as I noted, yesterday when I unplugged and plugged in (in the morning) I didn't get a new IP address. So this seems like it would force one, no matter how long we unplugged/reset? I think?

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 9:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Yep, it forces a new ip every time you change it. And if you ever really fiddle with it and take notes of your mac addresses and the IPs, you will see if you accidentally change it back to a mac address you already used, it will usually go back to that same IP you had with that mac address. It's interesting geek fun. lol

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 9:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
An update occurred last night and this morning I have a little note from my computer that says "Your browser's cookie functionality is turned off. Please turn it on."

If I want to turn this on where do I go to do it? I have no idea. TIA.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 10:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Dipo, which browser are you using? If it's IE, this page shows how. (I was going to type it out, but I found a page that would be easier to follow)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/block-or-allow-cookies

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
The other thing you can do to fend off hackers is to use a router between your modem and your computer(s). While not totally impossible it's extremely difficult for a hacker to get through a router as it serves as a hardware firewall and hackers may be able to see the router but not any computers hooked to it. I went that way 12+ years ago and have never had a hacker make it to any of my computers.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 10:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Mack, we do have both. My issue was that because of the DOS attack, we couldn't get on the internet at all. Since I work at home mornings and evenings, that's a big problem for me. It's just a way these gamers have of forcing someone they don't like off-line. It's not really to get into your stuff.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 10:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
You're right about it forcing the IP change. More reliable than unplugging (which has other variables).