TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Low Carb or Low Sugar Recipe Alternat...

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: Low Carb or Low Sugar Recipe Alternatives users admin

Whoami

08-02-2001

Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Well, I'm not a diabetic, but my sister was just recently diagnosed. So, I thought I'd try a thread for recipes for diabetics. I'm sure there are folks here who have had years experience tweaking recipes for Diabetics.

I'll request my favorite recipe in the next post.

Whoami

08-02-2001

Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 7:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
OK. So, one of my sister's favorite things I make is at Christmas time, which also happens to be her birthday. Every year I make her my “Blueberry Stuff" which also serves as her birthday cake. I want to be able to still make it for her, without hurting her diabetes.

Here’s the recipe:

Ingredients:
Angel Food Cake
Cool Whip
Cream Cheese
Blueberry Pie Filling

I usually bake angel food loaves a few days prior (from a mix). If they’re too fresh, the other ingredients kinda bleed into the angel food and make it mushy.

Blend cream cheese and Cool Whip with mixture till mixed well (no cream cheese lumps).

I use a 9x13 (or so) sized Rubber Maid plastic container. I slice up the angel food loaf to match the size of the Rubber Maid container.

Layer one layer of angle food on bottom of container.
Layer cream cheese/cool whip mixture over that.
Layer one more layer of angle food over that.
Layer rest of cream cheese/cool whip mixture on that.
Top with Blueberry Pie filling.

Cover with lid and refrigerate until ready to serve/eat.

What in this is really bad for diabetics, and what would be a good alternate for it?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Whoami

08-02-2001

Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Now I see my thread title is odd. Maybe it should read: "Alternatives to our favorite recipes for Diabetics."

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 7:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
PWD - Person with Diabetes. Also these recipes are for People with Type 2 Diabetes. No PWD likes to be called a "Diabetic". Just call them "Low Carb" or "Low Sugar" recipes.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
what is bad in that recipe? ALL OF IT! Angel food cake, cool whip, and the blueberry pie filling. All loaded with sugar/carbs. Count all of the carbs for each of the items, then divide by the # of servings. Each full meal should be no more than ~30 carbs, each snack ~15 carbs. That means ALL OF the food for that meal or snack.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I had a go at changing the title based on what you both suggested. We can always change it again if you decide on something else.

Great thread idea by the way!

Whoami

08-02-2001

Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 7:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Much better thread title! Thanks Landi for the suggestion.

Bummer, sounds like I'm gonna have a hard time coming up with an alternate recipe!

Rslover

11-19-2002

Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rslover a private message Print Post    
Here's a recipe for low carb angel food cake but I haven't made it. Cool Whip makes a sugar free version and you can add splenda to blueberries. Cream cheese should be ok. Probably easier if you made a no crust cheesecake with blueberry topping.
LINK

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, June 21, 2013 - 5:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
you can also buy frozen no sugar added blueberries and thaw/drain them. mix with a little truvia.
instead of coolwhip, use real heavy cream and whip it.
the cream cheese is not bad.
you can also buy no sugar added angel food cake

Rissa

03-19-2006

Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 4:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Problem is that more and more research is showing that the body reacts the same to sugar substitutes than it does to real sugar so those recipes that contain them aren't great either. Plus, I was always told to NEVER eat carbs on their own... each meal and snack should contain a combination of healthy carbs, protein and fibre. So perhaps if sis is a blueberry fan you can find something that also contains nuts of some sort? I have a couple go-to desserts for when my dad is visiting but nothing akin to blueberry shortcake (which is what your recipe reminds me of).

I do love dream whip too so what I do is take a few tablespoons of vanilla greek yogurt (protein) and mix it with equal amount of sugar free dream whip. Put as much diced mixed fruit as I want (carbs and fibre) then sprinkle crushed almonds or walnuts on top. Can't help with the cake though although I have tried the poppers our Superstore sells and they aren't a HORRIBLE alternative.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 9:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Since being diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic, I am so surprised to see just what things have a high carb content. landi set me on the right path when she told me to start reading all the labels. It's surprising.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, June 28, 2013 - 5:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
It's Surprising.... and depressing. LOL Seems all my favourite foods are low quality, high carb. Anything baked being #1.

Wanted to add that as far as sugar substitutes go, I believe Stevia is the best choice and doesn't have the same impact as ones like Splenda. Perhaps someone with more expertise can add 2 cents.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, June 28, 2013 - 4:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Stevia is a plant, so if you get Stevia (and not Truvia), it should be chemical free. It can still affect diabetic/high cholesterol medication - as can any kind of sweetener, but it does NOT turn into a carcinogen at 85 degrees like Splenda does. If you use Stevia, just keep an eye open to see if it's affecting your insulin, sugar count, etc. Webmd has a good overview of Stevia and its possible interactions with any kind of medicine.

Honestly, since one of my students did a research project on Aspartame and the nastiness it can cause, I've not touched the stuff. I'd rather use honey or Stevia!

Whoami

08-02-2001

Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 9:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
I think the artificial sweeteners are nasty. They always leave my tongue feeling kinda numb.

Ktbb

08-10-2003

Saturday, September 07, 2013 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ktbb a private message Print Post    
I really don't care for any sugar free sugars. They all have a weird aftertaste to me. I'd rather go without.

I did find a sugar free chocolate from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory that has no after taste. Its a nice treat.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Saturday, March 26, 2022 - 3:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I have been using monkfruit sweetener for years. It has the best taste out of any natural sweetener I've ever tasted. It has no nutritional value zero carbs.

The brand I like is Lakanto. They have powdered sugar, granulated sugar, golden brown sugar. They also have a great maple syrup. When I make keto fresh seed bread and it calls for some kind of maple syrup, I use this one and it works out great.

Lakanto also have many products with their monkfruit sweetener which are great ..and have recipes on their website.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: