TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 23, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 23, 2013 users admin

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Good luck, Jasper.

Just as info, last two times I had blue screen of death it turned out to be bad stick of RAM first time and then bad battery second time.

Gumby

08-14-2004

Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gumby a private message Print Post    
We are having an issue with the disk space disappearing on our hard drive for no apparent reason. We've run a virus scan and nothing was found. We've gone from having 42gb available down to 2.8 available. We haven't added any programs or downloaded anything. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this or how to fix it? Thanks for your help!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 9:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Gumby, I have not had that happen, but just out of curiosity, I Googled: disk space disappearing on hard drive and found a number of interesting possibilities.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 10:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I have the same problem, but I don't have a total solution. So, I'll be interested in what others say. One thing that I found was that the defrag ran on a schedule, it kept creating files. So, if you can find the location of those files, you can delete them.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 10:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I don't have any answers for that problem. It sounds like something is running and sucking up all your ram. Have you taken a look at your processes to see if there is something big going on (from the windows task manager)I'm not realy sure if this is helpful or not. And thank you Juju for the info.

For my problem it was all linked to the fact that the automatic windows updater had disappeared. Thank goodness I still had my install disks because I needed them to fix my problem. The workaround for "in case of no disk" wasn't working. All is well now.

Gumby

08-14-2004

Monday, February 25, 2013 - 5:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gumby a private message Print Post    
Thank you for all the suggestions. I did try a few things I found online and it helped a little. One was to delete all of the old restore files and that freed up about 7 GB, but something is obviously causing this to happen. I think a trip to the computer doc is in order!

Nyheat

08-09-2006

Monday, February 25, 2013 - 6:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyheat a private message Print Post    
I haven't used this in a while, but Space Sniffer helped me discover that Photoshop was backing up all my files in a temp folder and taking over the hard drive. Useful for a visual representation of where your space is being eaten up the most. (of course with the caveat that you make sure you don't delete essential program files vital for running your computer.)

http://download.cnet.com/SpaceSniffer/3000-18512_4-10913555.html

Cathie

08-16-2000

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 2:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cathie a private message Print Post    
Does anyone have experience with laptop screen problems? My hubby's laptop suddenly started showing all text areas that should be white now in aqua. Photos and videos are fine, and when the laptop is connected to TV via HDMI everything is normal. Any suggestions?

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 7:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Cathie, I have not had that experience, but once again I got curious and googled. Wow, there are a whole BUNCH of entries where laptop screns have turned turquoise!! Who knew?! I didn't have time to look at them, just was surprised at how many.

Go to Google.com and enter this in the search box: laptop monitor showing white areas as turquoise

Cathie

08-16-2000

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 9:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cathie a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Juju!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, March 15, 2013 - 3:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Can someone tell me where on IE is the re-install button. I know someone had said that if you go to tools or somewhere on the IE menu bar you and reinstall it. I can't get my email to work in IE anymore and all Comcast seemed to be able to help me with was having me load firefox.

I like IE, so I would like to get it fixed, but can't remember how to do it. Oh, I just found out today it is IE9.

And it was working but then I uninstalled some programs that were annoying me and now I can get the email and see it there but I can't get to the individual emails in order to read them, that screen is just blank. Oh and all the other websites I go to work just fine.

Thanks for any ideas and help.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Friday, March 15, 2013 - 11:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
just go to windows.com and download the current IE and reinstall.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 2:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks Landi, but my computer tricked me into buying PC Cleaner Pro and miraculously after that program ran, it was all good. Except now freecell won't work in IE. I finally just opened up firefox and have freecell in that and it works just fine. So now I am back to IE for my normal stuff, which is what I know.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 5:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Yesterday, I kept getting a message that I had no internet connected, but I did. Tried several different things, no help. My stepson asked me if a certain button had maybe gotten pushed? I didn't think so, but I tried it, and what do you know, back in business. I think one of the cats had stepped on it. Anyway, I don't see the point of this button on the computer. Why would you want to disconnect from the internet?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 3:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Heckagirl, my cats do that all the time. I don't understand why the button is there either.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 4:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
On a cell phone/ipad/iphone you can put it on *airplane mode* which is basically setting your gadget so it does not transmit or receive. The button on the laptop serves the same purpose, just a simple way to restrict internet usage. I used to turn mine off all the time before letting my (then) young dd's from playing games on the computer so they couldn't accidently access the net, download virus', etc.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 4:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Oh that makes sense Rissa.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Anyone use Outlook Express? I keep getting "an internal program error" on it, do you want to send a report. And then it closes. I think this is what is causing the blue screen of death for me. Very annoying and I can't find anything on the web so far to assist me. Except to download some file to clean up the errors, which I don't trust.

What button are you guys referring to?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 1:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Jasper have you done a cold reboot? I was getting that same message on my Comcast mail and even getting that send a report and buy this to fix it. I would shut down entirely and then start up again, sometimes that solved the problem.

Ronk

03-03-2009

Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 8:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ronk a private message Print Post    
Question for Mac users. Do you run an AntiVirus program? I have switched from Microsoft

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 8:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I currently use Norton at work, but nothing on my home Mac.

Ronk

03-03-2009

Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 10:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ronk a private message Print Post    
I have heard Mac users state the they don't get viruses. But you are starting to see Mac OS targeted. Just wondered if I need it. So far the transition is going well

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Ronk, I've used a Mac since they first made them, but have never had a virus. My poor DS has a Dell at college, and he has had it quarantined from the college network 3 times in 4 months, even WITH their recommended virus protection.

I only use it at work because we do have customer information, so we want to be sure there's no risk to our customers.

Bonzacat

07-08-2003

Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bonzacat a private message Print Post    
I used to use Norton on my Macs but for the last 4 years have not used anything. Not one problem. If I began to have concerns I think I would use Norton again.

FWIW, my DH repairs Macs for a living. He also stopped using Norton about 4 years ago.

Ronk - first step is always keeping your system software up to date. Security updates do appear fairly regularly.

Csnog

07-18-2002

Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 7:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
They are hacking and getting Trojans more on Macs than before when there were less of them.

This came out this week about Macs.

Even Macs aren't immune to viruses.

A recent Trojan outbreak infected more than 600,000 Macs worldwide!

http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=4370

This article is 2 years old and there are more Macs now than ever, so they are concentrating on them

Mac just put out a security announcement this past week.