TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Cameras and photography

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Cameras and photography users admin

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
Anyone familiar with dSLRs? (Jimmer?) I have a canon T3i and am looking for a lens that will get tack sharp results. I am thinking of the 50mm 1.8 or 1.4. If anyone knows, is the main diff between the two, the BUILD? Is the photo quality noticeably better on the 1.4? I am looking to take portraits mainly.

Also what recommendations for inside the house shots of animals and kids. Also for things like birthday parties or family gatherings. Any lens recommendations for that?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 9:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The 1.8 is a very good lens for the price. It's a relatively easy length lens to manufacture and it is a fixed lens so Canon can keep the price low. However, there is no denying that it looks and feels cheap. Nice results though.

The 1.4 is a nice lens but it is more expensive. The build quality is better as well. It also has a nicer focusing system. The bokeh is better as well (bokeh being the look of the out of focus areas of the image due to depth of field).

The 1.2 is stunning but it is crazy expensive.

Is it worth the extra money? That all depends on the photographer.

One thing to keep in mind though is if you intend to shoot wide open you will have to be extremely careful with focus and what you are focusing on. The slightest error will lead to out of focus results. Also the results you will get at wide apertures won't be tack sharp.

I think your camera has an APS size sensor which means that the focal length of any lens that you use is effectively multiplied by 1.6 so you have to keep that in mind for an indoor lens. Unless you're willing to spend a whack of money, you can't find anything better than the 1.8 (but oh my the 1.8 feels cheap). It works though.

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 3:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
Thanks Jimmer.

What are your thoughts on a 24-70mm for candids of birthday parties, etc? Or do you have any (cheaper?) recommendations?

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 4:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I take a few photos. A Canon 24-70mm would be perfect for birthday parties. However, it is a pretty expensive lens. So, some options are to buy used or look for a Tameron or other non-Canon lens that is similar.

I can recommend www.keh.com as a place to buy used lenses. They have a rating system that is pretty good. I usually stay with the LN, LN-, Ex+, etc rating. I have bought many lenses there, but have not bought any with a rating lower than EX+.

You might also check out the Canon 17-85mm or 15-85mm. They are not as expensive as the 24-70 and will provide more wide angle opportunity.

Also, you can compare lenses at www.dpreview.com. While they provide a ton of data, the summary of the qualities of the lens are really all you need.

Happy Shooting!

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 4:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
Funny you mention KEH! I was just browsing there. But I find it a teeny bit confusing. Can you tell me the "for dummies" version of the diff between:

Fixed Focal Length Lenses
Non-Mfg Fixed Focal Length Lenses
Non-Mfg Zoom Lenses
Zoom Lenses

I mean I know what a zoom lens is and what a fixed lens is. But what is the non-mfg part? And I thought I found a good deal on a lens that turned out to be for a film camera. Good thing I posted it on a FB page before I bought, but I went back and I still can't figure out where it lets you know it is for film!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 4:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
If you are looking a Canon, I would go to the Canon USA website. They have a lens lineup that tells you what cameras a lens can be used on. On KEH, you can always call and ask them about a lens. I'm not sure about the Non-Mfg because I have never gone there. I pretty much stay in the Zoom and Fixed Focal lens section.

If you find a lens that you think you want, go to their website (i.e. tameron lens -> Tameron website). There you can get much more information.

Another thing I do, but you have to be strong to do this (because I DO feel bad for the person who helps me knowing I will not buy there). I go to a local camera shop before buying at KEH to ask them about it. Normally, I go to a camera shop where I do not shop often. This allows you to at least touch and use the lens a bit before buying. Best Buy is also good for this depending on what they have in stock.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 8:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The 24-70 is my main lens. It is big, expensive and heavy but it is a very good lens.

I think Kookliebird's advice is very helpful. :-)

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 5:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
Yeah, as much as I would love the 24-70, I am not sure I can justify spending that kind of coin right now.

Jimmer, what, if any, lens would you say is the best "poor man's" 24-70?

And thank you both for your time and input!

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 1:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, what lens would you say you couldn't live without? And why? TIA!!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Canon 24-70. It has a 2.8 aperture throughout the full zoom (though I usually shoot with it at 4.0), you can get a decently narrow DOF, the zoom range is pretty decent, the quality is good and the lens looks impressive to clients (which sadly is important in some situations). I use it most of the time.

The cons are it is fairly heavy, big and bulky and there is some distortion at 24 mm (though nothing too bad).

Another lens which is really nice is the Canon 24-105. It has image stabilization which is nice, a bigger zoom range and it is a nice quality lens. The cons are it is a bit slower with a max aperture of 4.0, the bokeh isn't nearly as nice as the 24-70 and it's not quite as impressive looking a lens.

I think Sigma makes an amazingly good 24-70 2.8 if you are looking for something a lot less expensive.

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Friday, February 15, 2013 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
Thanks Jimmer!! Seems like that is a total fan favorite. Too bad the price is so high!! I will put it on my wish list. Just got the nifty fifty to start. But man I have to back way up with it. I will post one photo of our newest foster pup. I need to learn how to focus on individual spots, cuz I wish the eyes were as focused as the nose.

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Friday, February 15, 2013 - 7:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    

Dang! Too small to tell anything. Oh well...

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, February 15, 2013 - 8:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Well, I can tell that he or she's a cutie pie !

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, February 15, 2013 - 10:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Backing up is good because it will give your portraits a better perspective. Or if you stay closer it will help you fill the frame and get nice details. You're right that you have to be extremely careful with focus and DOF.

I know some photographers who shoot a lot with the fifty. Particularly baby pictures.

Cute guy!

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 6:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I am trying to work out what to do with the photo below to bring out the colour in the hills. I really just want to whole thing to 'pop' more instead of looking so washed out. I've tried the normal things (fiddling with exposure, brightness and so on) but beyond that I don't know what to try. Any ideas? I have an old version of photoshop but it does most things... I just don't know what most of them do!

washed out

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
If you want to email it to me, I am no great p-shop expert, but sometimes I do alright. And I will see what I can do and tell you what I did. juliered@mchsi.com

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 8:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Adjusting the highlights, also the vibrance may help. Sorry, I'm only Photoshop Elements, so I don't know how that translates to the big Photoshop.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 9:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Hi Everyone, I'm wondering if anyone has a program and the time to help me with adding one of my daughter's teachers photo into their class photo? She was away that day but a crucial part of the class. I don't have photoshop or any other photo editor to be able to add her photo into it, anyone willing to help? I scanned the class photo and can get a photo of the teacher.

Let me know, thanks!

Whoami

08-02-2001

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 4:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
I have a bunch of old drum corps photos from the 70's, on slides. I would love to get them converted to digital so I can share them. Anyone have a converter (and some extra time) to convert them for me? I considered investing in a converter, but I have no idea which one to get, and not sure it's worth an investment for basically a one time deal. Though I guess I do have some old negatives I could convert too.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
If there are a lot of them that would be quite a time consuming task. If you can't find someone who has the knowledge, equipment and time, you might want to check into what it would cost to have a local photography place do it for you.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 9:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I have used scancafe.com to scan slides to digital. Fotobridge does this as well. It takes some time because they are sent out, but the cost was really reasonable. So, google and check out some of the possibilities from a service.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 1:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
whats a good pic resizer site? i have 3x5 pic and I want to scan it so its full page or at least will print out as a 4x6 or 5 /10...right now when i scan its like a stamp in the right hand corner of an 8/0 piece of paper. I need it so it will post on FB as a regular pic

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 1:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
nvrmind...I tried using Paint and its working ok ty!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: