TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 03, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: QUICK QUESTIONS: ARCHIVES: Archive through August 03, 2012 users admin

Serate

08-21-2001

Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 7:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
I like mixing fun shaped pasta, chopped tomatoes, basil, oregano, olive oil, mozzarella, and fresh grated then refrigerate at least couple of hours but better than overnight. Love this stuff when it's hot!

I've also taken my favorite fruits and blend together and chill. Yummy cold soup.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, July 09, 2012 - 7:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I bought a rotisserie chicken at WalMart last week, ate it hot one night, had a sliced chicken sandwich the next and then chopped it up and made chicken salad for the rest of the week. The dogs got the skin - they were thrilled...LOL!

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, July 09, 2012 - 9:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Back when I used to eat chicken occasionally, I'd buy the rotisserie chicken at my local Ralph's every couple of weeks or so. You can do a lot with the cold chicken... sliced breast meat for a lovely sandwich, or chopped up dark meat for a chicken salad or waldorf salad. Even though they aren't necessarily inexpensive, if you don't have to heat up your oven, I think they are pretty economical.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, July 09, 2012 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Roxi, we get the BBQ Chicken Special on Tuesdays and it's wonderful. I also use the leftovers (usually white meat) in a variety of ways, from salads, and sandwiches, to soups.

Our latest summer treat is grilled cheese sandwiches stuffed with tomatoes made on our George Foreman Grill. Less than 5 minutes and, big yum!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, July 09, 2012 - 9:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
If you aren't a good cook they are a lifesaver...LOL!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, July 09, 2012 - 9:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I'm not the best cook, but not the worst either. LOL. Just not a huge fan of cooking. I'm actually shy about cooking for others although I do have a repertoire of old favourites that come in handy on occasion.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, July 09, 2012 - 9:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
The only thing I dislike about the rotissary chicken is cutting it all up. Ick, just hate that greasy chicken feeling on my hands! But so convienent. I cut it all up and freeze into portioned out bags. I then heat up the chicken and use in salads or chicken tacos or quisedillas.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, July 09, 2012 - 9:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Brenda, my secret solution to that, is that hubby chops it up for me. I do the rest. :-)

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, July 09, 2012 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
You know, you can take it back to the butcher in the back and bat your eyes at him (or her) and ask to have it cut up. You can pretend you don't know how. :-)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, July 09, 2012 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
LOL Costa, DH usually picks up the bbq chicken on his way home from work, and he already charms them into extra dipping sauce. Do I really want him to bat his eyes at those gals too? Not really.

As for not liking the greasy feel of the bbq chicken, Brenda, I use those clear plastic bags from the fruit and veggie section when I have to touch something gross while cooking, like raw chicken, etc. They come in very handy. Also use them instead of rubber gloves when cleaning. I keep them on with large loose elastic bands (so I don't cut off my circulation).

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, July 09, 2012 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
I keep a box of latex-free and powder-free gloves in the kitchen anyways (for the occasions that are not that rare when I cut myself, so I can bandage my finger and can continue cooking without worrying about getting a bandage wet or bleeding all over the food). I may not be a professional chef but I look like one! :-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 7:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So I am trying out the Rice-a-Roni, Chicken, cream of "soup" recipe tonight. But when I went to the soup cabinet I only had cream of potato soup, LOL. We shall see how it comes out, not sure if it will be good or bad.

I thought I had some cream of mushroom, I always have cream of mushroom but clearly I used up the last can and forgot to replinish.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 12:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Does anyone know about canning?

I have lots of plums, lots and lots of plums, and I'd like to make plum chutney. Trouble is I know we'd get through the chutney very slowly, so it would have to be well canned, and I've no idea how.

Is it actually a simple process when you get down to it? It sounds difficult.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 12:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Ooops I didn't mean canning, I meant putting in jars. Jarring?!

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 2:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
it is still called "canning". The biggest thing to know is equipment. Do you have a canning pot that will fit the jars? do you have canning tongs to get the jars out of the hot water? Do you have the jars/rings/lids? this is a really good site that will help you get started: http://www.simplycanning.com/brand-new-to-canning-where-do-i-start.html

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Nope, I have none of those! It looks a bit too complicated and scary for me, and I would probably only do two or three jars ever... I think I will just make something I can freeze in little pots!

Thanks for the link and answer!

Costacat

07-15-2000

Sunday, July 22, 2012 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Actually, more important that equipment is knowing the process. You don't need the correct equipment if you understand the process. You can do small batch canning using the water bath method.

You can also use the freezer method, which might be easier for you, Kitt. I don't know how well chutney freezes, but you can make a damned good plum jam using the freezer method. Go buy yourself a box of Certo liquid pectin, and read the instructions. Then you can buy some jars and the lids that can be used for freezing, and you can make tons of freezer jam.

And with plums, a little hint. Because you have to precook the plums, you can prepare the plums up to the point where you start to process (where you add the sugar and pectin. So prepare the plums (pit them and cook them) then measure them and cool them down and put them in zipper bags and freeze them. THEN you can figure out what to do with them. :-)

Kitt

09-06-2000

Sunday, July 22, 2012 - 2:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I found a non-hot water version at that Simplycanning link, and made a small batch this morning (just 1 lb of plums), sterilised the jars in the oven, and it says they should be good for at least 8 weeks if kept refrigerated. When hot though it didn't taste too nice, so I'll have to see what it's like when cold whether I'll try any more!

You wouldn't believe what I do with plums! I still have bags in my freezer from last year of them just raw and cut in half. Plum season I eat them on cereal; in salad; with yoghurt; microwaved with apple; I stew them with apple, cinnamon and nutmeg and make muffins out of them; I've made plum cake (too soggy); plum pie (good but needs too much sugar) so I thought it was finally time to try something which would last longer!

Does the liquid pectin set well? I haven't made jams for years because I always found I needed so much sugar to make them set (and sometimes they never did). Does it make a lot of difference?

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, July 23, 2012 - 7:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Kitt I am traveling this so PM me and I will emailing you with more info.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 8:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
Anyone have a tried and true regular cheesecake recipe? thanks

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 9:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
The one on the inside of the Philly cream cheese package is quite good. As long as you have cream cheese, eggs, sugar and vanilla, it's going to be hard to mess up. :-)

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, August 03, 2012 - 4:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Depends on if you like the lighter fluffier style of cheesecake or the denser style of cheesecake. I don't know where I got mine (I don't think it's from the Philadelphia package) but it's one I've adapted over the years. It's the one I was going to make last year to submit to the Del Mar Fair until I found out that it was "too tropical" to submit (the idiots wouldn't let me submit my Passion Fruit Cheesecake.

Yeah, I just checked. My recipe is not the same as the "standard" Philadelphia cream cheese recipe. Here's theirs:

http://www.kraftbrands.com/philly/recipes/Pages/Recipe-Detail.aspx?recipeId=52544#category=816&subcategory=16193

Rosie

11-12-2003

Friday, August 03, 2012 - 5:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
Thank you, Costacat.

Cinnamongirl

01-10-2001

Friday, August 03, 2012 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cinnamongirl a private message Print Post    
http://cakecentral.com/recipe/keg-cheesecake-no-bake

This is the recipe I use and its soooooo good!! Always gets rave reviews. Perfect with fresh fruit toppings!

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, August 03, 2012 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Oh, I would totally do the baked cheesecake recipe. No offense or anything, but I'm a traditionalist when it comes to cheesecakes. Give me a baked cheesecake any day, thank you very much. You get a much richer flavor. (I think the sweetened condensed milk ones are too sweet. :-))