TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 10, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: Free Expression...: It's the little things....: Archive through July 10, 2012 users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
We have a "silly gripes" thread, and I thought it might be fun to have a "silly pick me ups" thread.

Two things today - both small - but both made my heart happy.
ONE - spent an hour or so just chilling with my folks, all of us reading and enjoying the quiet.

TWO - just had a 20 minute FB conversation with a friend who lives in Spain. It is SO COOL to me that I can speak with someone who lives where I sooooo long to visit (and retire). She also is very kind about helping me perfect my Spanish. Some day, I know we'll meet face to face! :-)

Rieann

08-26-2006

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 - 8:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
That is great Teach. I would love to visit Spain too.

I love the idea of this thread. One of my favorite quotes is:

The little things? The little moments? They aren't little.

- Jon Kabat-Zinn

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 - 11:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
A dream . . . to wander again through La Alhambra. The most beautiful building and gardens on earth!

Mak1

08-11-2002

Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 4:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Yesterday at the after-parade festivities, the small, locally-owned grocery store gave out free watermelon slices to everyone. The hospital gave free cupcakes. A new store is opening soon. They gave free key chains, bandanas and job applications. The latter is much appreciated. It has been such a long time since anyone has opened a moderate- to large-sized business in this area. Free stuff for all....nice!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, July 06, 2012 - 11:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I'm cat sitting for a friend. I ran an errand yesterday to her local post office and on the way home took a wrong turn. I ended up on a beautiful curving road around their gorgeous deep blue lake. On my final turn back to her house there is a gorgeous blue mountain in the distance. All of this beauty cheered me up, which was well needed.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, July 06, 2012 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
The little thing today - my floors are mopped, and the power is on so we have AC. Thank goodness!

Holly

07-21-2001

Friday, July 06, 2012 - 3:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Same here, Teach. Clean house and A/C! We lost power for 2&1/2 days last week with the storm. Then, same day we got it back on, it went out again that night again for 3 hours. I feel so bad for those in Florida who were out for a week or more.

Ladybug

06-10-2012

Friday, July 06, 2012 - 3:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ladybug a private message Print Post    
A nice co-worker shared her lunch with me...and her time. Like you said, Teach, it's the little things. Doesn't take much to make me happy!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, July 06, 2012 - 7:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
This is out my front door:

Mak1

08-11-2002

Friday, July 06, 2012 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I love this thread, Teach! Isn't it nice to focus on the nice little things that are sometimes taken for granted. Each of your stories has put a smile on my face.

Eleven years ago, one of my high school classmates unexpectedly passed away very suddenly. I see her mother every time I go to the gym. She swims there every morning. Every time I see her, I think of Vicky, who looked so much like her mom and had her outgoing personality. We always exchange pleasantries as I am arriving and she is leaving. This morning, she was waiting for her friend to drive her home when I arrived. I sat to change my shoes as we greeted each other. Then she sighed a little and said "I miss my Vicky. It has been 11 years now." I told her that I knew she missed her and told her that I had thought of her a few days ago when I passed her grave at the cemetery. I smiled and recalled how very full of life she was. That led to her mother talking a bit more about Vicky's life and the closeness she still shares with her son-in-law. She told me a couple stories about fun times she has had with him and his "new lady". He flies her to Florida to visit him each winter to get her out of the cold. When I left to go do my workout, we were both smiling. In fact, she had us both laughing. Instead of a sad conversation, it had been uplifting and made me happy. It seemed to make her happy, too. Sometimes the thing a person needs the most is just to have someone listen.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, July 06, 2012 - 8:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
What a sweet story, Mak! I'm hoping this thread will be a pick-me-up for all of us down the road, whenever we are feeling dumped upon or unappreciated. (This is totally selfish as I know I'll be the one needing it once school starts! :-) )

Jmm

08-15-2002

Friday, July 06, 2012 - 9:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
It is most definitely the little things that keep us going.

Mine was yesterday coming home from work. I drive about 20 miles one way on IH 35 to work and back. Every day I see people driving like crazy people, driving too fast, cutting in front of cars and big trucks way to close, and just in general being reckless. I have a co-worker who lives in the same town as I do and as it happens she was behind me on the way home. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a silver car pull out from behind her into the right hand lane, then he cut between us (we were in the middle lane) to the left hand lane like a bat out of ....... . He blew by me like I was sitting still and then .................... he saw the state trooper. He hit his brakes, but the trooper was already rolling. I couldn't help it, I picked up my cell and called my friend behind me and just said, "and sometimes karma lets us watch". LOL

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, July 06, 2012 - 9:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
LOL JMM.. of course here that would get both of you a ticket for using your cell while driving but how satisfying and to be able to share the moment too.

A few weeks ago I stopped at a light.. a car in the lane to my left,who was half a block back, loudly accelerated and zoomed through the red light.. I'm sure everyone else was as pleased as I was seeing those flashes from the red light cameras (even though I hate them and how they are set up to suck money out of people, mostly for stuff that is not dangerous.. but this guy, definitely dangerous. Thank heaven no one had pulled into the intersection yet. This will cost him a lot.

(but seeing a trooper or cop would have been even more wonderful)

Jmm

08-15-2002

Friday, July 06, 2012 - 9:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Actually, Sea, it's not illegal to use your cell while driving here. It's something that I very seldom ever do, but in this instance I couldn't resist.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, July 06, 2012 - 9:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Here's one from earlier this week. I was at the shelter in Kitty Klubhousse. There's tension there, I think because there are a bunch of recent mom cats and hormones are still raging.. they had just introduced a tiny black cat names Selah.. she had kittens at 8 months old. Well several others weren't too happy but Selah came back with growls and hisses and SHE particularly took offense to a kitten (her size) who was oblivious to all the angst in the room and just running and jumping, playing with the laser pointer dot. Selah was quite mean and vocal with Stoney.

Later on, a sweet cat named Cara Mia, who loves everyone, climbed into a big basket where Stoney was napping, curled around him and was grooming him. So sweet.

Stoney was adopted last night.

Cara Mia would make someone SUCH a great cat.. she makse me smile.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 10:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I have a big one!

It is in the 90's. I don't have air conditioning but my fans work really well.

The power went out yesterday at 5:00 pm. due to a thunder storm that rolled through.

Only 5 houses were involved. All the other neighbors had power.

Three of us had dogs to worry about.

We were afraid that with only 5 houses affected we would be very low priority.

I am glad Duquesne Light crews don't sleep.

The power came on at 1:00 this morning.

Yea! Thank you emergency crew.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, July 08, 2012 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Little thing today -- I've found a spot on my deck that is in shade 24/7! I've been here since 11 AM, doing my online homework and reading. I thought it might get sun between 1 and 4, but this particular sport has shade all the time! WOOHOO! Living in the woods rocks!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, July 09, 2012 - 1:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE! WOW!

I did a trial membership with Simply Audio (Recorded Books.com's individual service). I received 2 books for the month, listened and sent them back, but decided to cancel because the monthly membership for renting 2 books was more than what I'd pay on Audible for 2 credits per month, and those books I'd own forever.

I called last week and canceled. When they asked why and I explained, they were very polite and didn't push. The CSR also said they'd already sent my next book out, but that I had 28 days to return it - even though the "written policy" says 7; they don't charge extra until day 29.

The book came, and I'm pretty sure we just turned around and stuck it in the mail. This weekend, I received an e-mail reminding me I had 7 days to return the book. I was concerned that they hadn't received it, so after checking the entire house (that was actually clean - so easy to check), I called today to see if it had arrived.

The CSR said to give it at least 10 days. When I asked what happens if the post office lost it, she said, "Nothing." They take it in good faith if I said I mailed it, and they wouldn't charge me a penny. I'm amazed! Audio books on CD are not cheap, and I figured there would at least be a re-stocking fee of some sort.

If anyone is looking for a good source of audio books, I'd highly recommend Simply Audio!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, July 09, 2012 - 2:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I experienced good customer service today too from Nordstrom. Returned a purse I bought two years ago this coming fall. Hadn't used it. Had couple others from other stores too. Those I got store credit for. The one from Nordstrom -- refund on my bank credit card I used to buy it. Much appreciated. More shopping in the future at Nordstrom.

Similar to Teach above, when I bought a CD on-line from person who recorded / made it, she told me to send a check for it when I got it. Huh? Really? Wow! So I sure did.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, July 09, 2012 - 2:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Oh yeah, speaking of good customer service, I had some from QVC this weekend. I've been using bareMinerals makeup for years, and a month ago they had a huge bareMinerals weekend on TV. So I decided to try a bunch of their facial lotions. My face had been breaking out like crazy and I thought it was stress at work, and finally thought maybe it was the bareMinerals stuff. I quit using it a week ago and guess what? I no longer look like a mmm-something teenager! So I called and asked if the products I'd purchased (some of which I'd used, some of which I hadn't yet cuz they were travel sized) could be returned. I explained I'd been using the makeup products for years and loved them -- loved how they did make me look years younger and everyone commented on that fact -- but I wasn't so sure I wanted to return to the breaking out in my teens years! Sure enough, no problem. Packed things up, not in the original packaging. (Of course, I've just sent things off on Saturday so I've yet to receive credit but... I'm sure I'll get the credit.)

So nice to know that if you are not satisfied, even if it's been over a month and you have been using the products, you can get a full refund.

And hallelulah, my face looks ever so much better again!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, July 09, 2012 - 5:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I had the same problem and positive solution, Costa. I LOVE BE makeup and never use anything else. But I am SOOO allergic to their facial cleanser and moisturizer. After just 2 uses, I had tiny little bumps all over, and it took me 3 weeks to get my skin back to normal. QVC took them back no sweat, and I'm back to my Philosophy skin care and BE makeup. :-)

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, July 09, 2012 - 5:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
I've been using Avon's Anew Alternative (the all natural one that they've discontinued). I've bought up all I could find and once that's gone, I dunno what I'll do. Now, I know I'll try Philosophy. I couldn't believe how horrible my reaction was to the BE skincare was... and here I was blaming it on my major stress and 80 hour work week! Ha!

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Monday, July 09, 2012 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
i just made a gorgeous peach pie, and my lattice came out perfect for a change. helps to have a chef help roll out your crusts for you! <3 my Greekbread!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, July 09, 2012 - 9:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Midnight snack at Landi's! :-)

Costa - their Purity and When Hope is Not Enough Replenishing Cream are fabulous. I also love their Shelter as my day cream (it's a 30 SPF sunblock), but they've discontinued it. I've gotten enough off ebay to last a year or so, and then I'll have to find another daily moisturizer. I'll probably stick w/Philosophy, though, as my skin hasn't been dry (or allergic) with any of their products.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 8:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
That's good to know... thanks Teach!