TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 30, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: QUICK QUESTIONS: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 30, 2012 users admin

Serate

08-21-2001

Friday, June 15, 2012 - 1:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
Dip to spread on crackers?
You can mix salsa and shredded cheese with it. OR a little W-sauce, garlic powder if you like, dried beef, and cheese if you like.

Use it in mashed potatoes. Makes them rich and creamy.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, June 15, 2012 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Yummy...I can eat cream cheese out of the package...but it is good if you mix it up with salsa.

I actually freeze cream cheese that I have had for too long (I always buy lots around the holidays for those spontaneous acts of baking...LOL!). Perhaps you could wrap it tightly and freeze it until you need it for something else?

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, June 15, 2012 - 1:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
It lasts longer than "a few days". It really does. Wrap it back in the original wrapper and then wrap tightly in plastic wrap.

I use cream cheese when I make mac 'n cheese if I don't want to make a roux. I do add a lot of other cheeses though so it's pretty cheesy anyways.

As Serate said, with salsa. Or (I do this a lot when I'm making jam), spread a bit on reduced fat crackers and top with a dollop of jam (or use baguette). If you make any pasta sauces that are a creamy or alfredo based, you can mix it in at the last minute.

Let it come to room temperature and then mix it with an equal amount of shredded cheddar cheese and a small bit of shredded smoked cheese. Add a dash of dried mustard, a dash of paprika, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, a tablespoon or so of drained chopped olives, a tablespoon of dried parley, form into a ball, and chill. Then you have a cheese ball that is quite lovely on crackers (I love this on Triscuits!). And it will definitely last a couple of weeks wrapped well. This is a really informal adaptation of a cheese ball that I do during the holidays that others always clamor for.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, June 15, 2012 - 5:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Mix it with marshmallow fluff for a yummy apple dip. :-)

Gumby

08-14-2004

Friday, June 15, 2012 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gumby a private message Print Post    
You can use it in place of butter on toast.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Friday, June 15, 2012 - 5:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
Put it on some celery with a shake or twenty of hot sauce. It will fool your taste buds into thinking you're eating wings with celery and bleu cheese... seriously!

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Friday, June 15, 2012 - 5:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Make a carrot cake and make cream cheese frosting...that is as long as you feel like baking...

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, June 15, 2012 - 6:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
bagels

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Friday, June 15, 2012 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
Caulk the cracks in your walls?

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, June 15, 2012 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
If I had creamed cheese to use up, I would put it on two 4" celery stalks and have that as either a substitute for my afternoon snack of fresh fruit or substitute for my one piece of bacon at breakfast. But then, I am a bit weird about food.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, June 15, 2012 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Schmeered (spread) on toasted Bagels of course! Or as a fruit/veggie dip. Also yummy as a dip with bbq chips... ;)

Gumby

08-14-2004

Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 7:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gumby a private message Print Post    
I love the word Schmeered Mame!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 7:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 2:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Great ideas! I may have to buy some more even! lol.

Kmm

10-07-2005

Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kmm a private message Print Post    
Cream cheese is awesome on pretzels!

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Oh yes...Pretzels...my most favorite snack of all....yes..cream cheese is good on them too....

Happymom

01-20-2003

Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
(revisiting the nutella discussion...I found Cookie Butter at Trader Joes! It is so delicious. and not at all nutritious. It has the same consistency exactly of peanut butter but takes like cookies that are very slightly gingerbread flavored. It is nice for a special treat...same as nutella.)

Cream cheese mixed with salsa is really good.

Serate

08-21-2001

Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 4:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
If you want to be REALLY bad - tho you would probably want to get another whole package of cream cheese to go with - mix the cream cheese with cool whip and cherry pie filling. YUM.
(Haven't had this in years as hubby doesn't like it and I hate to make so much because I'd have to eat it all myself.)

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
That sounds a lot like the cherry cream cheese pie my sister makes. Delicious! Speaking of delicious, I had a salad made with a cucumber and tomatoes I grew myself today. Nothing like fresh out of the garden. Yum!

Allietex

08-16-2002

Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 9:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Allietex a private message Print Post    
You know those packaged dips that you are supposed to mix with sour cream? Well they are even better mixed with cream cheese.

Countrydaze

11-07-2003

Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Countrydaze a private message Print Post    
I brought and opened a package of hot dogs march 3rd. I cooked several and froze the rest. Are they still ok to eat?

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 12:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
The frozen ones? Sure. Unless you didn't package them well and they got freezer burn.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 1:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I always freeze my hot dogs. Definitely okay to eat.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 1:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
As long as you wrapped them well when you froze them you should be fine. If you didn't, they may have dried out.

Hot dogs have bazillions of nitrates used as preservatives, so they last a very long time.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 1:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
at least 6 months in the freezer, no problem.
freezer burn is not a health issue, just a quality control (means water crystals messed up some of the meat fibers).