TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 24, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: How to peel a potato: Archive through June 24, 2012 users admin

Texannie

07-16-2001

Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 4:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
this is so cool!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4W0qIPJmoo

Biloxibelle

12-21-2001

Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biloxibelle a private message Print Post    
You're right Annie, that is way cool! Thanks for posting it.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 8:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
That's AMAZING, Annie!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 9:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
It's cool - but I think two minutes of peeling is a LOT faster than boiling water AND waiting another 15 minutes. :-) (Yup, I'm not a patient person.)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 10:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
LOL Teach, my DH said the same thing!

Texannie

07-16-2001

Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 10:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
you must peel faster than me, teach LOL
i figure i can be doing something else during that time.

Ocean_islands

09-07-2000

Friday, June 19, 2009 - 5:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ocean_islands a private message Print Post    
It takes more than two minutes to peel a sack of potatoes! lol

But environmentally speaking, the method is a disaster. First energy is wasted boiling the water (unless you are going to boil something else with it) and then of course energy is wasted because the ice will be thrown away.

Forget the potatoes and just cook brown rice -- it's a lot better for you!

Texannie

07-16-2001

Friday, June 19, 2009 - 6:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I usually boil my potatoes to mash them, so the energy wouldn't be wasted. Brown rice cooks for 45 minutes, but you are right...it's much better.

Biloxibelle

12-21-2001

Friday, June 19, 2009 - 6:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biloxibelle a private message Print Post    
It takes more than two minutes to peel a sack of potatoes! lol

That's the truth. Like Annie I mash my potatoes or make potato salad, so this method is perfect for me. I will be using it. Again, thanks for posting.

My wrist does not agree with using a potato peeler any longer, so I use a paring knife. At times it takes a some of the potato with the skin. That is what DH noticed when I showed him the video, you get the whole potato, nothing is wasted except the skin.

Chewpito

01-04-2004

Friday, June 19, 2009 - 7:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Better yet, dont peel the potatoe....I love the skin and have never peeled mine...And I live on potatoes....sorta.
If any one complains...they can eat elsewhere..

Texannie

07-16-2001

Friday, June 19, 2009 - 7:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
who knew peeling a potato could cause so many opinions??!!! LOL

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, June 19, 2009 - 7:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
You've got me - I do take 5-10 minutes to peel a bag of potatoes not two; I was commenting on the one potato they peeled in the video and totally missed the "do this for a bag" idea. :-) We actually don't peel potatoes all that often since I like 'em baked and loathe potato salad, but I can do it faster w/a knife than my DH can with a peeler. No argument at all that I do waste some of the potato though, so I just may try this method the next time I make mashed potatoes.

I also love brown rice - but Uncle Ben's cooks in just 25 minutes. :-) Guess I'm on the speedy list no matter what.

Texannie

07-16-2001

Friday, June 19, 2009 - 7:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
LOL...Teach.
my Mahatma and Texmati are 45 minutes. is the uncle bens parcooked?
i only seem to make mashed potatoes at holidays so i am doing pounds. that's alot more minutes! LOL

Sam

05-02-2004

Friday, June 19, 2009 - 9:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sam a private message Print Post    
They're only cooked for 15 minutes... that isn't long enough to cook them through, is it?

So then you have to complete their cooking? Looks slick but doesn't appear all that efficient/convenient. Unless I'm missing something.

Sia

03-11-2002

Friday, June 19, 2009 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sia a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the link, Texannie! This will save my mom and me lots of time when we're making potato salad! I "invented" a new/improved recipe for potato salad a month or so ago using sweet potatoes in addition to my Idaho potatoes! It's awesome!

I made mashed potatoes for my DS last night for dinner; that's all he wanted, and it was just the two of us, as DD was at a sleep-over camp for a few days! I had to teach him how to mash them again; he'd forgotten how because I usually make them for him. At age 12 it's time he learns a few tricks in the kitchen!

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Friday, June 19, 2009 - 1:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
But the skin is where all the vitamins are!!

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Friday, June 19, 2009 - 1:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Some of us (me included) don't eat potatoes for their nutritional value.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, June 19, 2009 - 1:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Dang - I'm learning way too much in this thread! Uncle Ben's rice whose label says "Whole Grain Brown Rice" IS parboiled! Who knew?? (It also took me forever to find the ingredients list. Since there's only one, they put all kinds of other stuff around the back of the bag! LOL)

I think I'll just buy red potatoes for mashed potatoes so I won't have to make any "peeling" decisions. Just scrub, chop, boil and smash, skins and all! :-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, June 19, 2009 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I don't think that I boil my potatoes longer than 15 minutes when I am making mashed, but they are cut up, so maybe when they are whole they don't cook all the way through.

Serate

08-21-2001

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
I've always been told NOT to start potatoes to boil in anything but cold water. Something about even cooking and mushy potatoes.

Knightpatti

12-06-2001

Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
Sia I am so curious I love Sweet potatoes. What is your sweet potato salad?

Sia

03-11-2002

Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sia a private message Print Post    
Knightpatti, sorry I died't see this until just now. I've been in bed all afternoon, since an abd CAT-scan this morning with barium and with IV contrast. For some reason, the test really wiped me out. My dear husband is on vacay from work and took the kids and one of my daughter's friends to the movies while I napped.

I did what I usually do with my "normal" potato salad: potatoes, miracle whip, sliced boiled eggs, diced onion, a bit of mustard, paprika, but I chunked up a couple of sweet potatoes that I first steamed and added a bit of pickle juice for some kick. It was really delicious. I didn't write anything down. If I remember something that I didn't list here, I'll try to post soon.

Boberg

10-04-2002

Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
Little OT, but I have switched to making mashed "potatoes" with cauliflower instead of potatoes. I steam the cauliflower, remove, add small amount olive oil butter, salt, pepper and mash...delish. I was very hesitant to try it but now I love it.

Sia I will have to try adding sweet potatoes to my next potato salad, sounds yummy...I always add diced sweet pickles also..love them.

Knightpatti

12-06-2001

Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 9:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
Thanks Sia! I hope you are better. I will try this out!

Allietex

08-16-2002

Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 9:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Allietex a private message Print Post    
I love to boil my potatoes in the skins. TIf you don't like the skins, you can peel them off, if you do, then leave them on. With butter and sour cream, they are very similar to baked.

They are also great with just a little salt and pepper. I sometimes use a little fat free ranch dressing on them instead of the sour cream.