TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 11, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: QUICK QUESTIONS: ARCHIVES: Archive through May 11, 2012 users admin

Escapee

06-15-2004

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 3:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Yeah or a roasting pan in the oven. I've done it both ways.

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 3:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Maris, we made ours for Sunday dinner. Yes...you can boil it. We put everything one pot (cabbage, potatoes, carrots and onions)

Maris

03-27-2002

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 3:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
ok, will do that. Going to boil it. Does the package tell you how many minutes to the pound?

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 3:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Maris...yes it does.

Maris

03-27-2002

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 4:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
thanks. Sounds like a no brainer.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
Scoot, I'm surprised you like corned beef! I have always thought it smelled like dirty feet. No way I'm putting dirty feet in my mouth. BLECHHHY!

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Friday, March 16, 2012 - 1:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
my corned beef recipe called for 1 can of Guiness and then cover the rest of the meat with Root Beer in a 12 quart stockpot. heat to boiling then reduce to simmer until the meat breaks apart with a fork. I will so miss the corned beef this year. DAMN HUSBAND!

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Friday, March 16, 2012 - 6:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
LOL Hukd!!! Something I grew up on, as did my hubby...so yeah I like it. When I met hubby, he put a new twist on it...after he salts and peppers it he puts vinegar on it. Yeah I turned my nose up at first...but it's really quite good.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, March 16, 2012 - 6:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
My Mom used to make corned beef. It was good but was it ever salty! My wife (who was my girlfriend back then) never put any salt on her food. LOL - I don't know how she managed to eat it.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 3:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
My husband is making it today for the first time. The house smells sooooo good!

Costacat

07-15-2000

Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 6:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
In honor of the greens of St Patty's, I'm having Thai green chili. It's vegetarian. And it's green! Does that count? :-)

Nyheat

08-09-2006

Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 6:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyheat a private message Print Post    
That sounds delicious. Yum!

Whoami

08-02-2001

Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 9:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
I have a good problem solver for you all to tackle.

A couple of weeks ago, WhosMom said she'd really like to have some corned beef and cabbage. So, I ordered a nice corned beef brisket, a head of cabbage, and set to work on them in the crock pot. Now, all the recipes I Googled had that I should add carrots, taters, etc. But WhosMom said all she wanted was the cabbage.

I should have listened to her more closely. I thought she meant all the vegetables she wanted was the cabbage.

So, I go to serve up the dinner when it was ready, and Mom has me take back all but barely a pinch of the meat. Turns out she doesn't even really like corned beef. She just likes the flavor the corned beef adds to the cabbage as it's cooking. Like she said, all she really wanted was the cabbage.

Second problem was presented a few hours later. The cabbage went right through her, and she was so put off by that, she kept shying away from more helpings of cabbage, to the point I now have to throw the rest out. What a waste.

The corned beef I was able to take care of. A couple of days later, the family was getting together for a birthday gathering, so we used up most of the corned beef on Reuben sandwiches. Thank goodness for that, or it would have gone to waste too if I couldn't find room in the freezer for it.

So, I'm now trying to figure out how to satisfy her next craving for this dish, when she doesn't like corned beef as a main dish (only the flavoring it lends to the cabbage), and the cabbage goes right through her.

I was thinking of doing the cabbage in a beef broth, and perhaps getting a little bit of corned beef from the deli to throw in just for flavoring. But a whole head of cabbage seems to be too much for just the two of us, especially if it can only be eaten once by a person with a very speedy metabolism (if you get my drift).

So, do they sell half-heads of cabbage? If I add taters/carrots to the mix, will that slow down her digestive system a bit? What other kind of meat could I serve with it?

Hmmm....I guess that wasn't much of a "quick" question, was it? LOL. OK, my quick question, to summarize the above novel is, How do you satisfy someone's corned beef and cabbage craving, when they don't like corned beef, and can't eat the cabbage?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 4:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Our supermarket sells small bags of cabbage (8 oz) already shredded for coleslaw. I use it when I make egg rolls since even one head of cabbage would make more egg rolls than we'd eat in a week! You could wilt it in a saute pan w/a piece of the corned beef and be done in about 5 minutes! :-)

Costacat

07-15-2000

Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 5:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Isn't cabbage cheap enough? Buy the whole head, use half for the faux corned beef 'n cabbage, and shred the other half. You can put in it tacos, burritos, stir fries...

If you have a butcher near you, ask the butcher for the corning spices. You could cook the cabbage with a beef stock and the corning spices. Or you could google around and check out a few recipes for homemade corned beef. I think the spices are very similar to pickling spices, and you could make up your own batch of spices if you wanted.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 5:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
My supermarket always has whole and half heads of cabbage available. If yours doesn't, don't be hesitant to ask to talk to the produce manager and ask for one. They're there to serve you!

Might want to have your Mom eat a banana for dessert or something, to help bind up the cabbage a bit. Don't know if it will work, but you never know

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 9:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Ha, No problems with Cabbage here...Love it and eat probably about 3/4 heads a week...seriously love the stuff, and no complications.....
Oh and Costa.....'really good ideas with the spices'....sounds good.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 10:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
i thought the same thing that costa did. cabbage costs less than $1 for a whole head. also you have to cook the cabbage with the corned beef (you put it in the last few minutes. to get the flavor (it's from the fat that has rendered from the corned beef along with the corning spices.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, April 09, 2012 - 7:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Thanks Chewpito!

You don't have to cook the cabbage in with the corned beef. If Who's mom doesn't like the beef, she should be able to get a fairly close approximation using beef stock and corning spices. (Note I said BEEF STOCK and not BEEF BROTH.)

Whoami

08-02-2001

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Thanks for all the ideas! Yes, I know one head of cabbage isn't expensive. It's just the wastefulness that makes me grit my teeth. What can I say? I'm frugal to a fault.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 8:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
What doesn't get cooked would probably make awesome compost!

Costacat

07-15-2000

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 8:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
I was thinking of that. But that only works if you have a reason to USE compost. Or someone to give it to!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 9:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I have a little makeshift compost bin in my back yard (just some posts and chicken wire) that I throw stuff in all the time. I never use it but I figure I'm amending the soil to the better (my backyard is all trees so nothing grows anyway). I just pick it up and move it from time to time. In my fantasies I'm going to do fantastic things with it but never have.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, May 11, 2012 - 5:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
my bruschetta with tomato-basil topping calls for roma tomatoes, all I have are regular tomatoes, will they be ok? Thanks.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, May 11, 2012 - 6:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
absolutely!