TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 09, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 09, 2012 users admin

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 11:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I just bought a couple year old used laptop on eBay for $300, and I LOVE it. It is a Latitude E4300. It is like a 13" and only weighs 3.3 pounds, has a long battery life, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz, 4 Gb RAM, with Windows 7 Pro, and a DVD writer.

There are a lot of these on eBay right now because apparently Dell sold them by the gross to businesses for their road warriors. And they are coming off warranty, so the companies are unloading them and replacing them. Some of the employees got to keep the laptop they used and are now selling them on eBay. The latitudes are very well made, seems to me. So I have like this marvelous $2000 computer that I bought for $300, and I just love it. It is super fast and boots up in no time.

But, then there are two kinds of people in this world - the ones who get endlessly screwed by Dell, and the ones who take to Dell like a duck to water. =

GAL, I think perhaps you have not been married long enough to know that in matters of this sort, you don't include the old dear in the decision making process. You just say, "I have ordered you a new computer, dear. It is top of the line, and you will love it."

Wait, wait, wait! Does he have a birthday coming up? Slap that sucker on him for his birthday! That will fix his wishy-washy ass.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 7:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
He already has a sad, so I'm steering him in your direction, JuJu - he's convinced Win 7 has no intention of cooperating with his favorite version of CorelDraw (he hates 15), so now he's bent on getting a puter with XP Pro for an operating system. Not going to find that in the stores, so I've sent him to Ebay LOL.

Sigh. Computer problems suck.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 8:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Colossus has taken an interest in this guy:

Dell Latitude with XP

Link is to Ebay.

Anyone see obvious issues with this? He wants to hook it directly to his big LCD screen, although he's pumped at the non-glare screen on the laptop.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
It doesn't have enough memory; find out if it can be upgraded to AT LEAST 4 GB.

And the D620 is an older computer. It's no longer available. I dunno if I'd spend that much money on it. If all he needs is Windows XP, you can buy a better computer and buy the software separately.

What version of Corel is he using, and why hasn't he upgraded to the latest and greatest? He'll get better performance if he gets the newer version and runs it on Windows 7 64-bit OS.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 12:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Costa, I don't know what version of CorelDraw he is using, but he upgraded to 15 late last year and hated it with a passion, so he went back to his favorite version of the program. I sent a question to the seller to see if the memory can be upgraded to a 4 gig, waiting to hear. Thank you for your help with this!! He's pretty set on this sucker (he personally likes Dells and he particularly likes the non-glare screen, which is almost impossible to find these days.)

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
You know you can get anti-glare shields for just about any screen size, right? :-)

Version 15 is the current version... CorelDraw X5. It has a lot of performance enhancements in it, but if he's using an older computer running Windows XP, he wouldn't see those performance enhancements. If he gets a new system, he should try out X5 on it first. Unless it's all about a new UI that he hates in which case, tell him he's an old dog!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 11:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
That computer looks like an okay buy, unless the screen is going to be too small (oh, never mind, going to hook up to big monitor). I think he is going in the right direction with a Latitude from Dell, IF he wants to stay in his comfort zone with Windows XP, which I also like a lot. I have a Latitude D630 with Windows XP, which I also love, although it is slower than the E4300. I think the D630 and the D620 are of the same era and rather similar. You might or might not remember Car54 from the early days of TVCH. She was always preaching Dell Latitude, and I didn't "get it." Now I do. They are very well built machines. I think this particular one might appeal to Colossus because of the three year warranty, which offers a nice comforting feeling with a used computer. On the other hand, you could take the attitude that everything that is going to go wrong with a laptop will probably happen early, and if it is working fine with never any problems after a couple years, chances are it is good for a couple years more.

It would be better with more RAM, which you can buy at crucial.com for $62. Since the computer only has two RAM slots, you would need 2 - 2GB sticks, and I would bet it currently has both slots occupied with 1GB each.

Got this off crucial.com:

quote:

Memory:
DDR2 PC2-5300

Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 4GB
Slots: 2
Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.*
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.

So, an option might be that he could keep looking at Latitudes on eBay until he finds one with more RAM in the same price range. If he is going to start using the computer heavily right away, I would think a 30 day return or repair guarantee would likely be sufficient.

And all that said, you are probably always better off just biting the bullet and going with the newer technology and thus swimming near the tops of the waves rather than dragging waaaayyyyyy behind in the calmer waters that you know. Been there, done that, it ain't the smartest thing to do, even if it is comforting to not have to change and adapt. And so I would recommend getting a Core i7 laptop with Windows 7 and the latest Corel version and just knuckling down and learning it. That way you don't get yourself bogged down in obsolete technology. (yeah, yeah, I know I have TWO older laptops; do as I say, etc.; I am contemplating an iPad, oh the Luddite horror.)

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, March 09, 2012 - 12:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
JuJu, the Dell Latitude with 4 gig RAM we purchased for Colossus was delivered today and it is NNNICCCCEEE!!! A three year replacement warranty, hard mouse and padded shoulder carrier came with it gratis. The seller also threw in a brand new battery and auto adapter at no charge because it shipped a few days late (I bought it last Friday, received it today - I'm not complaining at all). Paid a total of $359.00 for it with free shipping.

Colossus hasn't seen it yet, but I think he is going to be very, very happy. Thank you for the great tip!! (I passed the tip on to my cousin's daughter who is looking for a sturdy computer for her college classes.)

On the other hand, my newly rejiggered Toshiba is scheduled for delivery on Monday following factory repairs. We'll see how they compare. I think I'm going to be very unhappy, especially since I had to pay shipping for the repairs.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, March 09, 2012 - 2:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
He's loading CorelDraw. Pray for us.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, March 09, 2012 - 4:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Sheeesh! What am I? Chopped liver? :-(

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, March 09, 2012 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Costa, your advice is TERRIFIC and I'm going to take it for MYSELF when my Toshiba comes back and I never trust it again. I'm going to go for the latest and greatest for myself, and let Colossus the dinosaur beg to use it when the newest software comes around and won't work on his computer.

Never fear, your expertise and advice are ALWAYS appreciated by me, even if I am asking on behalf of a hard-headed dude who's set in his ways.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, March 09, 2012 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
LOL!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, March 09, 2012 - 11:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
GAL, I am glad he is happy with what he got. Even though it will become obsolete sooner than if he had bought today's technology, he also got a higher grade and likely more solid and stable computer at certainly a lower price. In fact, it will probably last so long that he will be about ten years behind the times when it finally bites the dust.

And speaking of old stuff (and no, I am not looking in the mirror), I am now home and using this lovely little Latitude E4300 as a desktop by having it plugged into a docking station. It has Windows7, and today I wanted to scan something, and my scanner is so old that there are no Windows7 drivers for it. At first it would not install, but I Googled and found a way to install it by going into the folders of the installation disc and manually choosing things and claiming to be an administrator, ha! But, alas, there seem to be NO Windows 7 drivers, so I had to order a new scanner today.

Oh! Should I send Colossus my old scanner? Hahahaha, it would certainly cost more to ship it than the scanner is worth, but since Colossus has his computer for the next seven years all set up now ...

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, March 19, 2012 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So this morning I turn on my computer and I can only get to my preview inbox for email with comcast.net and I pay freecell and it says this: Sorry, your browser does not support Java or it does not currently have a Java Virtual Machine installed or enabled. The current releases of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, and Safari all have very good Java support, so maybe you should download their latest release.
You can download the latest releases here:
Java download Microsoft Internet Explorer
Mozilla/Firefox
Opera

So I have reported the problem to comcast and it was escalted because they couldn't fix it and I have re-downloaded java; I have windows 7 and I have IE9.

Do any of you more techie people know if these two things could be related? I just find it odd that they happened at the same time.

I have tried closing down completely so I don't know what else to do. TIA

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, March 19, 2012 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
NEVER MIND, LOL. I ended up having to reset my IE and that solved all the problems. I swear what a pain in the butt, but so happy it was a simple solution.

Sia

03-10-2002

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 9:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sia a private message Print Post    
My HP desktop computer UPDATED ITSELF to IE 9, and I HATE IT!! I am finding it very inconvenient to use! I can't get the computer to keep my Username and pwd on the TVCH website, and I can't find the things that used to be at the top of the screen, like Internet Options. Please help, someone. My HP runs on Windows7, which I also hate, but my old p.c. blew up before Christmas & although I was charged about $250 to get it repaired, it failed again--almost immediately. I haven't had the time to take it back in to the same guy--or I'm nervous to take it back to him because he expanded my memory with a USED part (without asking if used was okay), and I think the memory module he installed is what failed.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 10:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
What is it you want help with? You can't go backwards. So your choices are to learn how to use IE9 or to use another browser (such as FireFox).

Sia

03-10-2002

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sia a private message Print Post    
I wanted to go back to IE 8, Costa. Thanks for answering my question. I specifically did NOT check "Upgrade to IE9" the last time I manually updated my HP computer. Could it have updated to IE9 on its own? If so, I highly disapprove! I have read that there are still many problems with IE9, and I definitely wanted to hang onto IE8 for as long as possible. At least I wanted it to be MY choice if/when I upgraded. Thanks.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Internet Options are under tools on ie9 and if you don't have that option at the top, then right click on the upper boarder and add all the menu options.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
I don't think you got the choice. I was upgraded to IE also. I just don't use it so didn't care.

If you want the menu bar, right click in the area next to a tab and select Menu Bar. You can also select other viewing options, such as the Status Bar from here.

Internet Options are in the little tools icon at the far right at the top, on the same level as your tabs. It looks like a gear icon. Of course, if you show the Menu Bar, then you'll get the Tools menu and can choose Internet Options from there.

Also in the upper right is the option to display your Favorites and to return to your specified home page.

Tabs are now at the top, below the title bar. This does take some getting used to, but it's really not that big a deal.

And I think IE9 is a lot more secure, so I'd just learn how to use it. I don't know when Microsoft is planning to EOL IE8 but it may be soon and that may be why you were upgraded.

Sia

03-10-2002

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 9:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sia a private message Print Post    
Thanks. I see the star for "favorites," but can't figure out how to add the page I'm looking at to my Favorites List. It just isn't as easy as IE8, to me, anyway.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
CLick on the Star and at the top is a button to Add to Favorites.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 7:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
It might be worth it to display the Help menu and click the option for "What's New in Internet Explorer 9."

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, April 09, 2012 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
When I woke up this morning, I noticed my computer's fan was on and the computer was hot. It had been in sleep mode all night. I finally unplugged it and took out the battery so it would turn off and cool off. Is this normal? I've had it do this a couple of times before but not too often. I've been on it for quite awhile since re-starting it and no problems. I'll have had the HP laptop for 3 years in July.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, April 09, 2012 - 3:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It may have had some process running that was using a lot of CPU power? Are you sure it was in sleep mode?