TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 11, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: Crock Pot Cooking: Archive through May 11, 2011 users admin

Karen

09-06-2004

Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 4:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karen a private message Print Post    
This is my favourite curry - they call it Vietnamese but I might call it more Thai-ish. It's delicious. Just brown the chicken and throw it in the crockpot with everything else.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chicken-Curry-with-Sweet-Potatoes-233843

Yankee_in_ca

07-31-2000

Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 6:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yankee_in_ca a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Karen, that sounds yummy. You literally just throw it all in at once? How long do you cook it? I shall make it soon and let you know how it turns out.

Re: the beef stew, it's still cooking away. I think I put too much dried herbs in it, though. Tasted it and the herb flavor is a little too strong. Anyone know how to cut that?

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 7:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
add some beef broth or water or just scoop out the spices if they are floating

Karen

09-06-2004

Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 10:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karen a private message Print Post    
I brown the chicken and then quickly sautee the shallot and garlic before adding to the crockpot. Then yes, just dump it all in and forget about it. I usually do low for six hours, but you could go low for eight, or high for four... that's the joy of crockpot cooking.

I always add about half a head of cauliflower and a handful of green beans, just to veg it up. There's a lot of sauce for the dish, but it's heavenly. I always mash the veg the next day and turn it all into a huge hearty soup.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, April 29, 2011 - 5:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Anybody else use your crockpot to bake potatoes? I tried it a week or so ago and it was so easy and good...my daughter loves baked potatoes and I love the crockpot...perfect marriage...lol.

If you have tried it have you tried doing sweet potatoes?

Jmm

08-15-2002

Friday, April 29, 2011 - 5:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I've not tried it to bake potatoes, Roxip. How did you do it?

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, April 29, 2011 - 6:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Wash them, wipe them down with crisco and roll in salt, wrap in foil and them put them in the crockpot for the day. I was not sure it would work but they turned out fine (I leave the house around 7:30 and get home around 5:45). I read you could also do them on high but I haven't tried that. I was using pretty big potatoes too.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, April 29, 2011 - 6:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Ugh. Crisco? Olive oil works, too! :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, April 29, 2011 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I dot mine w/butter and don't add the salt, but the rest is the same. You just want to be sure the crockpot is a bit over half full to help them heat better.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, April 29, 2011 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I'm going to have to try that. Does the skin come out soft?

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 7:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
done it many times. it's great!
kar, the skins come out very tender

Roxip

01-29-2004

Sunday, May 01, 2011 - 5:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I think any kind of oil works...I think that is to help keep the skin soft or perhaps to add some moisture (although the ones on the bottom might get a little hard if you leave ghem in long enough). I have a small crockpost so mine is full with 4 big bakers in it.

Whoami

08-02-2001

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 9:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
I did some fresh green beans in the crock pot for tonight's dinner.

I put in a couple of cans of chicken broth, bacon pieces, and dried onion bits (cause I didn't have a fresh onion) and let it cook (on low) in the crock pot while I prepared the green beans. Then I dumped them into the broth mixture and let them cook a few hours until tender. They were delish! And it freed up the burner I needed to cook the lobster for Mom's steak/lobster dinner!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 6:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
That sounds delicious...and I love well cooked green beans.

Serate

08-21-2001

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
WHO THANK YOU!

I've been wanting to make fresh green beans, but not the kind that are so not done that you can have green bean sword fights with them. My mom always used the pressure cooker, but I wanted some sloooooow cooked beans. Never thought of the crock pot! Sounds awesome!

Costacat

07-15-2000

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 5:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Ugh. A pressure cooker for fresh green beans? How could you have a sword fight for them? Wouldn't they be so soft and limp as to resemble cooked spinach? :-)

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 5:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
we usually steam ours, but slow cooked green beans are heavenly! it's just preference like the difference between wilted spinach and fresh.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I did the green beans last night and they were fabulous! I am going to make a bunch more this weekend, I love green beans.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 12:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
My favorite green beans are the ones that you get in a Chinese food place...do they cook them in a wok?

Prisonerno6

08-31-2002

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 1:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Prisonerno6 a private message Print Post    
I read something a long, long time ago about cooking green beans. The author talked about the smell of cooked green beans his mother canned, and how the green beans he had today lacked that. It turns out you have to cook them to the point at which they wilt and change color to break down the enzymes (or whatever) that release that smell. It's the way I prefer my green beans, over the barely warmed still crunchy fad of today (ugh).

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 1:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
my latest fav way for green beans is lightly tossed in olive olive and seasoned with Tony Chatcheries and roasting them in the oven for 5 minutes of so.

Serate

08-21-2001

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    

quote:

It's the way I prefer my green beans, over the barely warmed still crunchy fad of today (ugh).

I totally agree. Green beans are NOT supposed to CRUNCH!

Serate

08-21-2001

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 1:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    

quote:

it's just preference like the difference between wilted spinach and fresh.

Spinach is NOT supposed to get slimy nasty wilted! :-)

Serate

08-21-2001

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 1:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
Who my mom used to also add new potatoes [or just quartered potatoes when we were out of new ones for the year] in with the green beans while slow cooking. Makes a yummy meal!

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 2:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
never had SLIMY wilted spinach...are you talking canned? yuck.
a wilted spinach salad with fresh spinach is great!