TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 15, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: QUICK QUESTIONS: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 15, 2012 users admin

Serate

08-21-2001

Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 8:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
Thanks Holly, and yes it was bad. Surgeon said there was nothing else in there to break and the back ankle bone bone crumbled. I just have to do it the dramatic way I guess.

The thing with these wings, you control the amount of hot sauce, everything is better with butter, and you can make the as crispy as you want. Just start watching them at the one hour mark and make sure they don't burn. Temp is 350^. I will try to get to the kitchen this afternoon. I asked my brother to find my recipe notebook but he says it's not there so I will look myself.

Holly

07-21-2001

Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
When you get around to finding your recipe, and NO rush now!!!!, maybe you can email me or post it here. A lot of the recipes I've looked at call for a tablespoon of vinegar--do you concur with that? I'm going to trying baking some tonight in the butter and hot sauce. I like the old, bar-fly style wings--had some fancy ones last week in a restaurant which were done with ginger, sesame, asian spices, etc. and I wasn't impressed. Stay well and keep that foot up!

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 2:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
Holly, this site gives a good method of cooking them (if you're not deep frying). It also gives the ratios of hot sauce to butter for the different heat levels.

True Buffalo wings are strictly Frank's Red Hot Sauce and butter. I don't know why this place has vinegar listed either! I'm from 25 miles east of Buffalo and have had my share of wings. The picture looks delicious! Back when they first started appearing around here though, they were a "dry" wing, not sopped in sauce like they seem to be everywhere now. Even the originators, the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, has them floating in sauce. They've ruined the crunch the deep frying gave them, and they're so messy!

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/chicken_wings.htm

Holly

07-21-2001

Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 3:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Thanks for that link, Huk; they do look delicious. I too like the deep fried, dry crunchy wings--nothing better. (I just don't like the stink that frying oil leaves in the house.) I'll try the baked ones tonight and bake them 'til they're good and crispy. Yum.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 6:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
I tend not to get good results baking mine. Probably has something to do with them being frozen to begin with. One day I'll buy the ones in the meat department that aren't pumped full of water and frozen. Seems they just never crisp up right (enough) for me

Serate

08-21-2001

Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 6:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
Holly I don't like hot wings so I can't say one way or the other. I would tend to say NO VINEGAR but then I am not fan of vinegar. My recipe is like what Huk posted w/o the vinegar, but I think I use more butter. How much hot sauce depends on which of the girly girls is here. 2 like them hot hot hot and one prefers just a dash or two of the hot sauce and extra butter. Which is how I would eat them if I were to eat them.

Huk if you make them in the NuWave oven you can make them from frozen or thawed and they are very crunchy goodness.

I have a friend who bakes hers then tosses them in the sauce and serves them that way. The girls just prefer them with the sauce baked in.

Holly

07-21-2001

Monday, March 12, 2012 - 6:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Well, my baked wings weren't so great either. The wings, which were small to begin with, shrunk so much they looked like bees' wings! I had bought a big bag of "individually frozen" wings, so I'll have to look for regular old wings next time. Bah!

Calamity

10-18-2001

Monday, March 12, 2012 - 2:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Question: I don't like the mushy yet chewy texture of beans in soup. The taste is okay, it's the texture that gives me the shivers. Is it okay to puree the beans (after cooking) or will that just make a sloppy mess which will still taste mushy/chewy?

It would be vegetarian bean soup, in case that matters. I know some recipes have meat in them.

Thanks in advance.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Monday, March 12, 2012 - 4:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
Calamity, I make bean and ham soup quite often. One time I wanted to thicken the soup just for fun, and read online that I should take about a cup of the soup and blend it up good. Supposedly the beans would thicken it naturally.

Never again! I found it changed the entire texture of the soup and it seemed "grainy" for lack of a better descriptor. I thought it was pretty gaggy feeling in my mouth and hated it! Someone else may say that it works fine, but I'm texturally challenged...

Calamity

10-18-2001

Monday, March 12, 2012 - 7:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Hukdonreality.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Monday, March 12, 2012 - 10:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
i want to make a white sauce pizza with chicken for my husband (due to his minimal sodium allowance) and wonder if anyone has a recipe for a sauce?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 9:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Llandi, I googled this for you and tons of stuff came up:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=white+sauce+pizza&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 9:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Llandi, This site seems to have the nost interesting recipes for it.

http://www.wisebread.com/29-alternative-pizza-sauce-ideas

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 12:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
oh i could google away, and there were tons of recipes. just wanted to know if someone had one that they made themselves that was good. hard to tell by an online recipe if it is good or not (i don't always trust reviews by people, as they never seem to turn out the way they say. I ended up making a basic alfredo with 2 teaspoons of minced garlic. turned out quite well i must say.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 1:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Landi, when I make white pizza, I just leave off any sauce. I use a little evoo to brush the crust with and then add on my toppings (and cheese for Darren.) I think it's really tasty and it comes out being fairly healthy.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 2:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Why make a white sauce pizza? Why not make a regular pizza? Either buy low sodium tomato sauce or make your own sauce so you can control the sodium.

I rarely, if ever, make a pizza with a regular pasta sauce. I do what War does... parbake the crust, brush it with a good fruity olive oil, sprinkle with some garlic, top with tomatoes, basil, goat cheese, and a final sprinkling of mozzarella. I'll then finish it on the grill outside or finish it off on a stone in the oven.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
costa, i'm allergic to tomatoes! normally I would just buy the chicken garlic pizza from Round Table, but their sodium content is through the roof, and Chuck can't have more than 2,000mg a day, and it was like 700 a slice! I got it to 720mg for the whole large pizza i made! and he ate half of it.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Brushing the crust w/olive oil and sprinkling a good mozzarella on first eliminates the need for any sauce. If you roast garlic cloves and then smear them on top of the olive oil & crust, the taste will be amazing! I'm not a big fan of sauce anyway; we're more likely to do really thinly sliced romas rather than an actual pizza sauce.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 11:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
the problem is the sodium level. the mozzarella had 200mg of sodium per 1/4 cup and it took 3/4 of a cup just to put a bit of it on that size pizza. if I had put it on like the pizza places do, it would have been about 1600mg just in cheese! trying to keep under 2000mg a day is tough! everything has to be basically made from scratch.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 11:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
making Mozzarella from scratch is pretty easy--and it helps control the sodium. Instructables. I've done it a few times and it turned out well, but my 2000 mg sodium restriction lasted only a short time, so I didn't have to become an expert at it.

ITA though that 2000 mg/day is a pain in the ass. It's the reason I learned how to cook. It was hard to find anything to eat--from pasta sauce to salad dressings--that I could eat. I used to bless Trader Joe's for having low sodium canned tomatoes, tuna, etc., because I couldn't eat otherwise.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 12:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
What about low-sodium cheeses? We get a yogurt cheese that melts beautifully from a company called Heini's in Holmes County Ohio. You can check it out here: http://heinis.com/html/yogurtculture.html. Our Meijer stores carry their plain yogurt flavor, and whenever we get down to Ohio to visit relatives, we buy the 2-3 lb. wheels.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 1:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Teach, I just saw the video of how they make their cheeses. Verrrry interesting!

Maris

03-27-2002

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Does anyone have a good corned beef recipe? its funny I am Irish and have never cooked it but am having a lunch party on Saturday and have promised Corned Beef and Colcannon as my menu. :-)

Escapee

06-15-2004

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I put mine in the crock pot (did this last night)

Instead of putting water in I usually put some beef stock in with the seasoning packet. I NEVER use the whole seasoning packet, it's too strong.

Last night I cooked it in Coca Cola with half the packet. Made it really good.

Maris

03-27-2002

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
If I dont have a crock pot, can I put it in a cast iron pot and boil it? I still have to buy it, going to buy it tomorrow.