TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 01, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 01, 2012 users admin

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 9:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I've tried that, but thought someone might know of a quick fix before I slog through all the possibilities.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, February 03, 2012 - 3:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
When it's not at 100%, check your task manager and leave it on the processes tab, with CPU being the way it's displayed. Then the next time you open it when it is at 100%, it should still be on the processes tab.

You won't be able to do a damn thing until you know what process is doing it.

OH, and hit ctrl+alt+del (in that order and hold them down) buttons to bring up the task manager when nothing else will.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, February 03, 2012 - 12:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Open Task Manager and sort by CPU. You can then see what's pegging at 100%. There are often a couple of things... FireFox will peg out fairly highly if you don't shut it down regularly. Your AV program can also run your CPU up while it's scanning. If you have a backup program that is scheduled to run periodically, that can also be pegging out the CPU.

As far as "adding CPU" nope, you really can't do that. You can add memory (RAM) so that possibly the CPU runs more efficiently, but they are not the same thing.

Two years isn't all that old, so it's got something to do with a program you've got installed that's running in the background. And if you tend to leave your system running all of the time, or you Sleep/Hibernate it, it's just generally good principle to restart periodically as it'll flush out the cache and "clear things up." (I've found if I'm not rebooting for any reason, that simply closing all programs, including my browser, helps to clear the cache.)

Stormie

03-01-2007

Friday, February 10, 2012 - 2:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Stormie a private message Print Post    
Bob2112 Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 1:58 pm
Stormie: I may have missed it in another post, but what is the model # of the Dell with the bad power supply...

Bob2112, I wanted to thank you for this information. Computers were breaking on me left and right, but I finally got an older than old hard-drive to work for now. I'm still going to get a power supply, the old computer is a Dell Dimension, I think (my friend who gave it to me isn't sure), it's hard to tell the model bc it's worn off, although I bet I can find it if I turn it on, lol. The power supply in question is 305 Watts, the model number is L305N-00. I called Dell, but had trouble getting a straight answer, so I spoke to someone at Best Buy, I may just bring in the broken one to compare with what they have, at least if that turns out to not be the problem, I can return it directly. I didn't know about a splitter, but I think I'll look for them, as I can use a different old power supply I have if I can find adapter type cables for the ones needed (the picture you had is what some look like). Thank you again for the info and thank you everyone for the help.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 1:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
I've got a new laptop running Windows 7. My problem is that every once in a while, it will decide to turn off my internet connection. Rebooting does not solve the problem. I go through the troubleshooting process, and when I'm lucky a box will pop up telling me that the connection is turned off and asking if I want to turn it back on. I say yes, and it works.

I have been trying to find a way to go in and turn it back on myself when it happens, but I have not been able to find it. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 2:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
A couple of ideas: I think on my dell the wireless on off is tied to a function key. I have inadvertantly turned it off via that key. Took me a while ot figure that one out.

Also, when I had another issue I stumbled onto some Dell boards and found so many smart people there that were able to solve my problem, so depending on what kind of computer you have, I'd google around for a board that discusses issues with your particular model.

Holly

07-21-2001

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 3:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
I go into the internet icon which shows the strength of your connection (on bottom scrollbar) highlight my name on the user list that comes up and then hit refresh. That always reconnects me without going through the troubleshooting thing.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 3:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Brenda and Holly! I'll check those out.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 5:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
I have no idea what Holly is talking about because I've never seen a "refresh" option... do you right click the Connection icon in the tray? Just click it?

And everyone is assuming you're using wireless... are you? If so, it's possible it's not even your laptop, but your router or modem. Might want to check those out, too. I was having oodles of problems getting dropped off a WIRED connection, replaced my router AND my modem, and haven't had a problem since.

Holly

07-21-2001

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 6:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Costa, the refresh button at the top of the screen--after you highlight your name on the WIFI list. Same way you would 'refresh' this page. I blame my router too when I get knocked off but also, the list of those using WIFI is so long now I'm wondering if the number of users affects why we lose connection?

Ps...why would you need a router for a WIRED connection?

Nyheat

08-09-2006

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 6:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyheat a private message Print Post    
I would check your firewall settings Merrysea. New laptops usually come with the highest security settings possible and block everything that they can. Good luck!

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
It's wireless, and it's happened both at home and at the office. The only other computer using the wifi is my desktop, and there are only a few people in the office who use it. No other computer is affected at either place.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 8:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Holly, if you have more than one wired connection, you'd need a router. I have four computers connected to my router, plus the wireless connection.

You should never need to refresh the list of connections. If you set your connection to always auto connect when in range, you should never have to reconnect.

Also, firewalls may block things, but they don't tend to drop you off a connection.

And nope, the more people listed in your network connections list just means that more people near to you have wireless connections. Actually, Merry, that might be something to check... have you tried to hop on to someone else's connection? Unsecured or secured?

Which means there is something wrong with your network connection. Since it is a new laptop, contact the supplier or manufacturer for assistance. You'll have much better luck using them than having us guess at what it might could be.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 3:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Well let's see - I bought a Toshiba laptop on January 2, and yesterday I had to send it back to the factory because it won't power up from any source. I bought the Staples high-ding-dong warranty with it, but it won't kick in until Toshiba refuses to fix my laptop (which I'm sure it will). Also yesterday, my HP Officejet all-in-one (which I love because it has a legal sized scanner) decided it no longer wished to recognize my OLD laptop for the purpose of printing, and I couldn't hook it up to my NEW laptop to test it because my NEW laptop was on its way back to Toshiba. After testing and re-testing, uninstalling the printer software and re-installing, and trying to print off of my old desktop dinosaur, it became apparent that the USB port was damaged on the printer. Outside of printing from my computer, it's doing fine. Couldn't hook up my old Cannon printer because it has no USB port. So I went out and bought a new HP e-all in one, which means my printer now has an email address and I can send it print jobs by wireless (cue spooky music. My car has a telephone number, too, which freaks me out). I don't know when I'll ever see my Toshiba again.

In the meantime, Colossus installed an upgrade to some software on his desktop and now it crashes every time he opens a PDF. His Alien laptop (I call it "The Anchor) is about 3 years behind in technology and doesn't like to work with his CorrelDraw. That was a waste of thousands of dollars. So he's way cranky too. Pray for us.

I have to take him out tomorrow to buy a new desktop or laptop. My biggest concern is making sure he has an appropriately powered processor for his design work (he does NO gaming, he only uses his computer for design, email, and generalized web surfing). I'm thinking an iCore5 or higher, but I don't know anything about the other processor options. Can someone educate me on processing power and what we have to watch out for? And can someone recommend a computer brand that won't automatically screw us over, as Dell, Toshiba and Alien have done so far? (I exchanged the Toshiba once already, didn't have that option since I was past the 2 week mark or whatever this time). Some brand that has a reputation for excellent customer service would be MUCH appreciated.

I want to go back to manual typewriters and carbon paper. And don't get me started on Comcast, I had multiple go-rounds with them while the rest of our technology was crashing around us. I need a vacation.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 4:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LMAO, my all in one printer just had a heart attack and I got a new hp photosmart 5510, love it.

And it gets along really nicely with my HP Pavilion dv6-3025x Entertainment Notebook. No problems since I got it March 2010.

And my other HP is still functioning except for a wonky keyboard (is it from 2005), so I would reccomend HP.

Don't really know about the answer on the processing power question.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 4:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Dipo, funny you should say that I keep coming back to the HP Pavilion dv6 with heightened options as a possible solution for Colossus. And I got a Photosmart 5510 as well (can't beat it for $79 I think). It's a bit noisy, but it gets the job done. My printing needs are limited (Colossus has to have the high-ding-dong resolution laser printer with magnificent color for his designs).

Costacat

07-15-2000

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 6:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
I'm using a souped up HP EliteBook for work these days, and am loving it. It should have all the graphics power Colossus needs. I run Adobe Illustrator, PhotoShop, Acrobat, and Dreamweaver on it and nary a problem. It should work fine for Corel. (I used to LOVE using that program!)

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
\makes a note to look for a souped up Elite book. Thank you, Costa.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 7:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Costa, what processor does it have?

Costacat

07-15-2000

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 9:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
It is an EliteBook 8460p and has an Intel Core i7 processor.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 12:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Bigdog has become quite the photographer in his old age, so I usually buy him top of the (reasonably priced) line laptops for him to edit his photos. He had an HP which was just fine for about three years, and then the DVD writer started failing, and I replaced the DVD writer (strangely enough I could install it, and he couldn't - he is hardware, I am software, huh!), and then he started whining again about something or other, so I decided he was due for a new laptop. I bought him a 17" Dell XPS with Core i7 processor last August or so. It is doing just fine. I think I would recommend Core i7 for Colossus.

You might try ASUS brand. Supposedly they have the best track record for fewest laptop repairs.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 5:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Thank you everyone for the information and tips. I'll do my best to steer Colossus in the right direction. Or drink a lot. Or both.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 7:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
The Dell XPS has a lot of power, but since GAL has had problems with Dell, I thought to steer her (and Colossus) in another direction with the HP. Definitely get a dual core 64-bit system, no matter what you do, and as much RAM as possible (mine currently has 8 GB). I just checked the processor and it's an Intel Core i7 2620M CPU running at 2.70GHz. Running Windows 7 Enterprise SP1. It's pretty bloody fast, especially cuz it's sitting next to my year older Dell Latitude. The Dell is 64-bit with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9600 running 2.8GHz, with 4GB of RAM, running Windows 7 Professional.

LOL. If you want the specs on the IBM/Lenovo I have (that's currently a paper weight) let me know.

I also have a brand new MacBook Pro! :-)

BTW, I chose the HP EliteBook for it's size as well as it's processing power. Because I travel, often, I needed something that would fit in my rolling laptop case (17" laptops do NOT fit) and would be light enough to carry around if I'm doing the airport mad dash. So it's smaller but super powerful.

Obviously, Colossus' requirements will be different than mine, but more processing power is always a requirement for me.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 4:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
I'm going to start a drinking game in here. Every time I use the word "fail" in any of its formats, everyone is required to do a double shot of Skye vodka.

So, I did my due diligence. Investigated all of the major websites for information on processors and options. I copied off side by side comparisons of all options that fit what I believed to be the minimum parameters of Colossus' requirements and also fit his designated price range. (We agree on one thing - why pay maximum dollars for a screwing that is inevitable when you can buy cheaper technology and get two times the screwing for your dollars?) Anyway, . ..

I thought I had the answer. I steered him in the right direction. I dreamed of an HP Pavilion desktop that had an Intel Core i7 processor, 8 gig RAM and at least 3 gig speed. DVD burner, awesome video card, whatnot. I showed it all to Colossus, along with some comparison intelligence regarding Intel Core vs AMD processing. I took him to all of the major retailers and brought with us the online comparison pricing to get matching discounts.

Failure. Failing. Failest. Failed. Fail Fail Fail Fail Fail Fail Fail. Waste of time. No matter. Failtitude. Failosity. Put my picture HERE, with a "FAIL-ER" caption beneath.

He decided that he was NOT going to invest right this minute on final solutions, he was going to buy cheap to get by for a couple of months, and THEN go for the big purchase.

Do you ladies (failure) understand (failing) what (failed) this means for me (good lord, could we fail any harder)? When the Acer POS he just (failingingly) bought with its sure-to-fail AMD processor crashes and SUCCESSFULLY burns in the next several months (probably a day past the 14 day return window), my life will become the biblical picture of hell. A successful hell, not a failing one.

Is everyone drunk, or have I failed at this as well?

Thank you for all of your input, though. It will come in handy when Colossus is ready for the Final Solution. Sigh.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 4:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
OMG. Colossus deserves a giant boot upside the head. Not only was that a colossal waste of time, but expense, too! What, he's will to spend several hundreds of dollars for an ugly and quite large paperweight?

I'm glad I'm out of Skye Vodka. I would, right now, be hovering somewhere underneath my desk, and well under this computer! :-)