TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 14, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 14, 2012 users admin

Escapee

06-15-2004

Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 5:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Hay I got a kindle fire for my birthday. I also got $50 in kindle gift cards.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Wooohooo!!! That's a lot of books you can buy! :-)

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Yes! That does sound like an interesting character!

I'll put those on my post-Gregory orgy list!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Great gift, Escapee!!

Be sure to go check out www.kindleboards.com for answers to any questions and lots of fellow readers/kindlers, including any number of us here..

The Fire is a great little device!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 8:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Teach, the Geraldine Brooks is quite worth reading, I think.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 9:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I bought hunger games and the dry grass of autumn.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 9:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I just bought Dry Grass too.. and I've read Hunger Games...

If you don't want to pay for the second book, I think it is lendable and I haven't leant it out. I was able to borrow the third book from Teach.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Monday, February 06, 2012 - 9:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Thanks also for the link. Where can I find lendable books? How does that work?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 06, 2012 - 9:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Some books you buy allow you to lend them to one person, one time. And if you are a Prime member (which you are for one month after getting your Fire) you can borrow one book a monnth (of those eligible for that) from Amazon. And of course there are libraries with Kindle books you can borrow.

I don't have all the details in my head and have to get ready to roll out and pick up a patient soon, but others can tell you..

We have a thread here in the library.. how are you reading it .. which has some info or where people can answer questions but Kindleboards with something like 30000 members is a great place for info.. The Fire Talk board has lots of great threads about these subjects and more.

Book Bazaar has a thread for free books and for bargain books too.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, February 06, 2012 - 7:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
To lend a book, go to the "manage your kindle" tab on Amazon. Next to each book there is a drop down menu for "deliver to..." . If it's lendable it will say "lend to."

When that option is chosen, it asks for an e-mail for the borrower. The person borrowing the book gets an e-mail w/a link that takes them to a similar page with a link. That link is basically the same as "download to my...." option when you buy a book. When the wi-fi is on, the book will show up on the borrower's kindle.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Monday, February 06, 2012 - 9:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Thanks everyone.

Got it figured out! Thanks Landi!

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 9:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Just finished hunger games. Awesome.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 8:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Geraldine Brooks' The People of the Book before I turned out the light very early this morning and now starting The Dry Grass of August.. thanks for the recommendation!

Escapee

06-15-2004

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 9:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Sea, it's an easy read and well written.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 8:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I am really enjoying Tuesday Night Miracles by Kris Radish.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12138854-tuesday-night-miracles

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 9:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I have "Dry Grass of August" waiting for me at the library - I decided on a short hiatus from P. Gregory excellent but lengthy books.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading an ARC of Anne Lamott's new book, Some Assembly Required. It's about the first year of her grandson's life. It's also got parts written by her son. It's lovely.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Love Anne Lamott! But not preordering for over $12.. I will read it in time, for sure.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 9:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I have finished the Wideacre trilogy, and plan a quick reading of "The Dry Grass of August" before I dive back into my stack of P. Gregory's historical fiction.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 1:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished The Dry Grass of August.. TNT, I know you are a quick reader and don't mean just skimming.. because this book deserves a good read. Poignant.

Now reading a freebie collection,Ash. Attack cat on lap;.. must stop.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, February 13, 2012 - 11:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Finished the Lamott book and just felt so good afterward. She has a great way of writing down emotions that you can relate to. I am not a grandmother yet but I am pretty sure I will be having all those feelings she wrote of so beautifully.

I started Home Front by Kristin Hannah.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 13, 2012 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Ash.. pretty depressing.. The premise is that the Yellowstone caldera blows up, changing life all over but wiping it out in the west, so various short pieces by several authors, mostly not too pleasant.. thankfully it was free.

Starting Cheever: A Life biography by Blake Bailey. Of course about author John Cheever.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, February 13, 2012 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I picked up "Dry Grass" and was halfway through before I knew it!

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 9:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I finished the Hunger Games Trilogy. Interesting.

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 12:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
Finished The Cure for Modern Day Life by Lisa Tucker.