TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 05, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 05, 2012 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 9:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
TNT, Wow! We have a 21 day limit for library books, (although we can renew them). Anyhow I'm impressed you plan to read '20 or so' library books in that amount of time.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 12:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
LOL! I typically read about five books a week, so I will be re-newing some of these! However, I like to get the whole body of an author's work and then sort it into the different series that he/she might have written or into chronological order so that I can enjoy the backstory as I got through the works!

Marysafan

08-07-2000

Monday, January 30, 2012 - 7:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marysafan a private message Print Post    
I am a diehard Nelson DeMille fan, so you can imagine my disappointment in "The Lion" which has to be not only the worst DeMille book I've ever read, but one of the worst books in general I've ever read. It's been quite some time since I wanted to pitch a book across the room, but this one qualified for the trash heap.

I don't know what happened here, it failed on so many levels. I would classify it as a total rip off and doubt that I will ever pick up another of his books. He really broke a trust with his readers at least this one.

Ginger1218

08-30-2001

Monday, January 30, 2012 - 1:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ginger1218 a private message Print Post    
I just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King. It was one of the best books I have read in a long time. It was historically fascinating and then with the Stephen King stuff added, it was great. I read the 853 pages in a day and a half. I highly recommend it.

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Monday, January 30, 2012 - 1:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
Really! Someone picked 11/22/63 for our book club, but the price is very expensive right now. We have decided to wait until the price comes down.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 30, 2012 - 5:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed it too, Ginger, though I don't think I read it quite that fast but only because I needed sleep.

I finished the book about the various Anne Frank books, diary versions, plays, movie and so on. Interesting.

Then just sort of randomly grabbed a book from the vertual pile, After the Leaves Fall by Nicole Baart.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, January 30, 2012 - 6:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Our book club has chosen "American Caesars" for the next meeting, and people are actually signing up for which president they want to find out more about!

For most book clubs that might not occasion comment, but I am almost always the only person to actually read the book!

The club also seems to have found a home here in the penthouse of my building! I am pleased that they find the venue so welcoming.

They should be pleased that I have a nearly endless supply of entree recipes and know the cheapest places to shop for the ncessary cups, plates. napkins and plastic tableware!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, January 30, 2012 - 10:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Mary, I'm also a huge Demille fan, so I'm curious as to what specifically you hated about the Lion. I think his books have changed since he focused on John Spenser over international spy stories, but I still read them and usually enjoy them. DS and I actually listened to the Lion, and DS really liked it (he's 17, so take that with a grain of salt!LOL).

Ginger1218

08-30-2001

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 4:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ginger1218 a private message Print Post    
Knightpatti, it is a great book for a book club. So much to discuss.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 11:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished After the Leaves Fall, it was readable but a bit slow and sorry to see she has two sequels.. not willing to pay for them so far.

Starting a freebie that may be a bit rough around the edges.. memoir starting when the guy was 17, in the Navy on the USS Enterprise in the 70s. West Pac: A Young Sailor's Journey by Scott F. Schmidt.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished The Wilder Life and it was enjoyable but it was a rather overload of Little House on the Prairie. She was obsessed!

I'm now reading an ARC of Carry the One by Carol Anshaw. It's so descriptively wordy but in a very good way.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 9:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
This is a repeat of what I wrongly posted in the Janet E thread - but I am now officially through with trying to read "When She Woke." It is in the car and ready to go back to the library tomorrow.

I am speeding along through the 600+ pages of "Wiseacre," where the "heroine" makes Scarlett look like Mother Teresa!

Escapee

06-15-2004

Friday, February 03, 2012 - 9:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Finished Game of Thrones. I don't know if I'll read the whole series. It a little too tedious for me. I would dread that another chapter was coming, but by the end of the chapter I was glad I read it. Still, very tedious with the details. I am sure that they are wrapped together in the next books, but sheesh it's so sad and dark and twisty.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, February 03, 2012 - 9:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished A Young Sailor's Journey and since they author says he has as an adult become an author, not completely sure why he published this work, but it had some merits. And now reading, quickly I was Born this Way which is just horribly written. Both were free, thank goodness.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, February 03, 2012 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Listening to Carol Burnett's latest book and loving it. I started Open again (got it from the library for Kindle) and it's an engaging read as well. Uris's Berlin may be on the back burner permanently!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, February 03, 2012 - 8:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed Carol's last book.

I loved Carry the One and I highly recommend it. It comes out some time in March. The words were just meant to be savored. Wonderfully written.

I'm now reading Sea Escape by Lynne Griffin and it's hitting pretty close to home right now. The story is about a woman who's mother is in the hospital and she's reading her father's letters to her. I've spent so much time taking care of my mother lately that I can relate to what's going on.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, February 03, 2012 - 9:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I can only imagine, Mamie!!

I finished the above book.. guy is so sincere and wants to be useful and helpful and in person I think he must be, but the writing is pretty bad.

So.. starting Geraldine Brooks The People of the Book.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, February 03, 2012 - 9:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Elizabeth enjoys Geraldine Brooks. I have her latest one still sitting on my TBR pile. I got it as an ARC but still haven't gotten around to it.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, February 03, 2012 - 9:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I read the sample of that, Sea - I'll be interested in your opinion. It was too expensive at the time, but if it's good, I'll put it on my wish list. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, February 03, 2012 - 10:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
So far I like it, but I've liked her other books, so no surprise there. I paid full price, but prior to Steve Jobs collusion with publishers, so that was $9.99 instead of the current price. I suppose it isn't lendable.

Cathie

08-16-2000

Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 2:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cathie a private message Print Post    
I just finished The Dry Grass of August--very good. If you enjoyed The Help you should like this one too.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 7:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
just finished "Open" by Andre Agassi, and am now reading "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Just the Avon Lady" by Birdie Jaworski. Enjoying it so far.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 6:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Got to meet Taylor Stevens today, who wrote The Informationist and The Innocent. Had just finished The Innocent, and happened to look on her website to see if she was on any sort of book tour and wouldn't you know she was at 2 places in my state that very next week?! (And she told me today she's not doing a major book tour... she said they don't really do them much anymore.) But I was fortunate to be able to go, even though I lost track of time and even driving way too fast I arrived about 30 minutes late (it was about 2 hours away.) Still, got to talk to her a few minutes afterward and really enjoyed her. I both love the character of Munroe (they are a series) and also think her own past is very interesting (she grew up in a cult traveling all over the world and didn't get any formal education past the age of 12.) I love it that I liked her!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 8:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I am adding to my list of what to read after I finish my Gregory binge! Yes - can you tell us something about the Stevens' books?

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 2:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Action adventure....a strong female character that has grown up in Africa in a religious community (suspect a cult, but that hasn't been made clear yet.) Was abused as a teenager, developed self defense/knife skills. Has a gift for languages and works as an informationist.... finds information as needed for a variety of assignments through computer skills and her ability to act as a chameleon of sorts. My thought after the first book was I loved the character, but thought it was poorly edited. Didn't notice that as an issue in the second book. Lots of the first book is in wilds of Africa as she searches for the daughter of a millionaire. I am just finding the character compelling, and the different world view that Stevens brings from her background. It's been compared to the Dragon Tattoo books, which she hates. She had written her book before that was noticed and translated into English. I had just read those before I read hers and honestly didn't even think about the similarity (other than a strong female take no prisoners kind of character!) She said it was probably was a cross between Jason Bourne and Laura Croft!