TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 26, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: How are you reading it (reading on various devices)?: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 26, 2011 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 11:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Every day they have a free app.. often just games but sometimes something really good that would cost more. I missed some really good ones before the fire arrived.. and a couple since but now I check every day on Kindleboards where people are posting the latest free app of the day, usually with some info on it too..

If you use kindleboards the thread is in the Fire Talk forum.

I can't begin to say what all it seems to do but it sure is fun

And Angry Birds, since I didn't have that on any other device.. is addicting at times.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 12:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
My favorite app for it is ColorNote. Notepad with a calendar, you can type up notes or checklists and then the calendar sends you reminders the day before. The simplest things amuse me, lol, but since I take my kindle pretty much everywhere, having the one place for notes, lists, and my schedule is really cool.

Heh, and I'm such a kid one of the few other apps I've bought is the Track Santa one. Love that, Santa's got a blog and right now they're doing a countdown til Santa's big night and have Santa sightings. Rudolphs had the flu (he's better now) and they had to send the elves off to Silicone Valley for training on making video game consoles. I've been giving my younger nieces and nephews daily updates, lol.

I'm using my Fire mostly for reading since I gave my first kindle to middle niece (and haven't regretted that) but there's also so many other fun things to do with it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 1:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I just got tired of my printer crapping out on me when I need to take my schedule with me and driving directions for new patients.. so I finally tried emailing documents to both the fire and my K3.. very nice :-)

I'm also scooping up all the free MP3 files.. well not all.. I do listen first and get the ones I like.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 8:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
DH's Fire arrived today and we've both had fun playing around with it. His cover won't arrive for another few days, so I do notice the extra weight. However, DH LOVES it with the treadmill! I set it on the shelf, put his headphones on and watched a video on Netflix as he walked. Shoot - that might make even ME exercise again! LOL

I'll let him know about the free app a day, too.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 9:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yeah, sort of like free books.. get them while they are free.

Opinion at KB is that we need to be looking closely on Christmas and just after that because despite all the Fires already being played with, LOTS of people are getting them for Christmas, too.

And there are lots of free apps, along with the free app of the day.

Congrats to your DH!!

Bob2112

06-12-2002

Friday, December 16, 2011 - 1:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bob2112 a private message Print Post    
We have ordered a Touch for each kid for Christmas and they are both coming unregistered. After lots of reading at Amazon, I'm still not sure about the best way to register them. We currently have 3 different Amazon accounts (email addresses) that we use. My son has his own account with Prime, so he will probably want to register with his account.

I guess we have 3 options for registering my daughter's Kindle.
  1. Daughter creates new account.
  2. Daughter uses our home/main account.
  3. Daughter shares son's account
If they wanted to share books, would the only option be #3?

Seems like there are pros and cons for each solution.
Is there a ways to link multiple Kindles within the family, but still manage them with different Amazon accounts?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, December 16, 2011 - 11:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Other than lending books that are lendable, there really isn't a way to link them. Kindle files are account specific, so unless you de-register/register with various accounts all the time, there wouldn't be a way to share books between accounts. My DH and I both have accounts, but we use my account for all our kindles (4 total) since I have the Prime account. Then we can get the book a month from the Kindle Library at Amazon and it can be seen on all the devices.

Bob2112

06-12-2002

Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 11:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bob2112 a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the input.

I'm leaning toward registering them both on the same family account that everyone has access to. That account doesn't have Prime, but I think sharing the library on both Kindles will be more valuable than the 1 free book a month. It's likely we will be looking at a 3rd Kindle device (for me and DW to share) early next year, so having access to all the same books easily is most important.

Maybe my son will surprise us and let us all have his password. He gets the Prime for $39 a year, otherwise I would put Prime on my account and it would be a mute point.

Bob2112

06-12-2002

Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bob2112 a private message Print Post    
Hahahaha.

I always joke and say mute point or moo point instead of moot point. But now it has seeped into my subconscious and I am including it in my posts.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Bob, I think most people do share accounts within families but I know some on Kindleboards talk of switching one click on and off or kindles on and off the account. In one case there is a mother in law who keeps forgetting and ordering stuff on the account so they have to deal with that.

Highly recomment Kindleboards.. sort of like a very large and bookish TVCH in terms of friendliness and moderation and you will see several of us popping up there now and then.

that is www.kindleboards.com

I had a feeling Teach would have info for you. I just have me with multiple Kindles, so no sharing to be done..

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 7:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I'm Sandpiper over on KBs. I have a Kindle Keyboard / K3, DXG, Touch, and Fire. And I'm not a voracious reader. I'm tryin' to be, but not yet.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 12:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
i had no clue there were so many different models of e-readers! i had just seen an ad for a basic one and suggested to my husband that I would like one for Christmas. He said to me "don't they have a color one? You can have whichever one you want". So off Holly and I went to Best Buy to touch and feel and ask questions. Now I'm stuck again. The Kindle Fire? or the Nook Tablet? any suggestions as to which one and why?

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 12:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I love my Fire, but I haven't even seen the Nook Tablet in person, so don't take my word for it, lol.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 1:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I've only seen the Fire. Nook tablet is more expensive. One uses the BN store (Nook), one the Amazon store (Kindle Fire). I read just today that Nook locked down so you have to use their App Store.. this was not true until the latest software update. Amazon wants us to use their store (and with good reason.. another article today explained how Amazon, like Apple, puts the apps in their store through so much testing to avoid selling apps with malware, whereas Google likes to keep android apps "open" so they don't vet them but if one does prove to support malware THEN they axe it, but too late for some users.

There are, I think, people on kindleboards who have both or have seen both who might be able to compare.

And then there are, as you say, landi.. a whole RAFT of e readers out there.. Kindle has what they call Kindle 4 (some of us call it mini or baby kindle with and without special offers,cheaper with them) I think that is wifi only and lacks sound, then there is Kindle Keyboard with and without special offers but they also come in wifi only or wifi and 3G.. they have sound and are a bit bigger than the Kindle 4 or the Kindle touch and have actual keyboards (but they aren't big or heavy). Kindle touch wifi only and I think also wife/3G but the browser is less open than the one on the kindle keyboard.

Kindle Fire is color, backlit, touch screen, sound, aps, video, books

And I know there are variations in Nook models as well, of course and probably in KOBO models and then there are all sorts of readers and pads out now.

What did you think from your touch and feel expedition??

One really good think about the Kindles is you have 30 days where you can send it back no questions asked, no restocking fee. At least from Amazon, but I assume that might be true in brick and mortar stores. Of course with Amazon direct, no sales tax.

The Fire is really really cool!!

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 1:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
my thoughts from the "touch and feel": i don't like ANY of the black/white versions of kindle/nook. Now this may come as a former ipod/iphone user. I've also used the Kindle for PC applications and so was used to reading books i've borrowed from the library on that, so checking out books on the devices was similar and i'm fine with the brightness.

I was down to just the two, the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet. not worried about price, but on futures and such. After reading a bunch of Kindle vs. Nook reviews, I believe the Fire is my e-reader of choice.

btw, LOVE magazines on both. Love the idea that I'm able to download and keep video offline on the Fire.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 2:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
okay... kindle question: i have books and movies on Kindle for PC, will I be able to move these to the Kindle Fire?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
You can definitely access them if they were purchased from Amazon. They're archived in Amazon's cloud.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 6:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
DH love his Fire - and not only will your books and movies work on it, your Amazon music will as well.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
chuck bought the Fire yesterday, I got to plug it in, register it, and check it out. i did download the free apps for yesterday and today (thanks all for that info in this thread!) and am checking out books from the library i want to add.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 5:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
landi.. go to www.kindleboards.com and the Fire Talk Forum. All sorts of help and info there.

Sounds like you are having fun with your Fire right away.

Congrats!

And there are lots of free apps besides the ones for today.

Also a thread where people recommend certain apps too.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, December 23, 2011 - 11:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Free app today is Charlie Brown Christmas.. interactive andn people say it may freeze the fire but just reset it and all is well and that it is a great app for adults and kids

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00696GNC8?tag=kindleboards-20

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 8:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/23/kindle-fire-setup-apps-settings-amazon-tablet_n_1167922.html?ref=technology

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 11:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Here's my Fire question - all our Kindles we've been able to "name." However, I've not been able to find it anywhere on the Fire. What am I missing? When we have 5 Kindles, the names help me make sure I'm sending books to the right person/Kindle!

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, December 26, 2011 - 1:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Teach, try this...go to your account page on amazon, scroll down to the "Digital Content" section and click on "manage your kindle." On the left side of the page, scroll down to "Your Kindle account" and click on "manage your devices." That should take you to a page that has all your kindles registered to that account, next to each one is a small "Edit" button that you click and a box pops up and that's where I changed the names on ours.

I had some difficulty with that when I did mine and Darren's and it took me a bit of time to figure it out.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, December 26, 2011 - 1:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mine is named Fire Lizard.