TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 29, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 29, 2012 users admin

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, January 23, 2012 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree there are a lot of characters in Game of Thrones and his writing technique is to devote a chapter to a particular character and then the next chapter move onto another character and so on. So it tends to jump around a bit and that takes a bit of getting used to. I've only read the first two so far but I enjoyed them and plan to read the rest of the series.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 23, 2012 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Sped through Carrie Fisher's SHOCKAHOLIC. Fascinating rollercoaster. Her photo-captions are a riot, once you realize they aren't typos! My fave pics are the ones where La Liz tosses Carrie into her pool.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Monday, January 23, 2012 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
I just finished South of Bixby Bridge and am now reading Open by Andre Agassi. LOVE MY KINDLE FIRE!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 23, 2012 - 7:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It really is fun, isn't it? Hope you are snagging free books and the free app of the day (well, some days it isn't worth snagging, of course!)

I read Andre's book some time ago and enjoyed it.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, January 23, 2012 - 8:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Agassi's book is available on the Overdrive library collection in Kindle format. :-) (And I now have it on hold!) I read the sample a while back, loved it, but didn't want to spend the money. Now I won't have to!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 23, 2012 - 8:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
There are certain authors where I just respect them for one reason or another and will pay.. maybe not full price but a higher price. But not THAT many Andra brought me moments of pure entertainment and joy watching him play, so I did pay something, but I really forget how much. Heck I think it was one of the first books I bought for my first Kindle and all books cost less then, before Steve Jobs colluded with publishers to force higher prices on Amazon.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, January 23, 2012 - 10:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Yup, this is a $12 book now. I'll pay full price for only about 3 authors. The rest I wait for price drops or find at the library. Of course, I need to restrict something since there are more than 300 books on the kindle that I've not yet read. ****sigh**** (DH and I made a "avoid Amazon money" deal when we saw our year-end total!)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 23, 2012 - 11:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I clearly have books I will not read before I die, but many of those are free. And before Kindles I tended to visit BN.com and BN brick & mortar and scoop up way too many, but really good, books..

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 12:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
i'm reading Agassi's book through my library. I haven't bought a single book yet! there are so many either that are the free deals of the day (love Pixie-Ink!) or lendable. i got South of the Bixby Bridge through the Kindle Lending Library, and am contemplating what my february book would be. I would love to read Steve Jobs' biography (i'm a biography nut!) but it isn't in any kindle library that I can find. May have to actually get on the hardback waiting list at my library.

I wish the free app of the day wasn't always games!

Marysafan

08-07-2000

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 7:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marysafan a private message Print Post    
I read Agassi's book last year, and liked it, better yet liked him! I wasn't fan, but after reading his book, I understood him a lot better.

I got Diane Keaton's book for Christmas and really enjoyed getting to know her better as well.

Scout...I just finished Ken Follett's "Night Over Water" and really enjoyed it as well!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Quite disappointed in AND FURTHERMORE the Judi Dench book. It's more like a dry resume of her work, with tons of namedropping of her fellow thespians etc, but so far, nothing exciting, and certainly in no way compelling reading. I just started it this morning, and am already bored silly. I'll keep plugging though as it was on my wish list so DH bought it for me for Xmass, and I'm HOPING somewhere along the line, it won't be dry and dull and will start to sparkle a bit with some personality.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 8:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Just finished "A Respectable Trade" and have ordered every P. Gregory book available at our library - possibly as many as twenty(?) So that will be my author of the month for February!

Just starting "Mudbound" and continuing to be delighted with "Stars of David!"Listening to a third book on CD in the car, but the author's name escapes me for the moment!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 10:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Steve Jobs isn't lendable (by an individual), or I would let you borrow my copy.

The other day there was a free app of the day that was not a game and normally around $9.. and some of the games aren't bad (but some are terrible. There are kindleboarders who tend to post the freebie and often with some analysis even, so it is pretty easy to check out. Of course some people get some games for grandkids or kids.. not so in my case.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 3:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished my book and learned details about that area of Manhattan and such.. not sure what is next.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
OK, next book, just picked up for $1.99 yesterday and is of interest since I've read various verions of the diary and related books.

Anne Frank: The Book, the Life, the Afterlife, by Francine Prose.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Just finished a book that I had for review, Death Drops by Chrystle Fiedler. It doesn't come out until next month. It was okay. A cozy mystery about natural herbs and a murder. It was lacking in fun though.

I'm now starting The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie by Wendy McClure.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Just finished "Mudbound" and will read "When She Woke" by the same author before diving into Philippa Gregory for the month of February

I have been notifed by the library that SEVENTEEN of my requested books are now available. I will need to take at least of couple of my eco-friendly grocery bags to fetch (does anyone outside the south "fetch?") them home!

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 7:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
I just started the Anne Perry series about Charlotte and Thomas Pitt set in victorian England. "The Cater Street Hangman" It is surprisingly good and I usually don't care for the period pieces.

Mamie my library had me do a review on a cozy mystery a while back. It's pretty well known that I am a cozy enthusiast. But it was so dull that I could only say the local color was nice !!

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
Tritan I don't suppose we will see you for a bit

And I say fetch, kittycorner etc and I've been 56 years out of Oklahoma!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 8:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
TNT - I'm reading When She Woke and enjoying it immensely. My only problem is that I don't have enough reading time. :-)

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 2:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I have started "When She Woke," but am not certain that I am liking it. It is a bit too sci-fi for me - I'll give it another couple of chapters before I pull the plug -

I have a heap of P. Gregory books waiting for me to check them out of the library, so that dazzling prospect may be standing in the way of this book's appeal as well -

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 2:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Would it help, TNT, to think of it as a modern Scarlett Letter? I'm loving it, but I went it looking for the comparisons so I don't know how that has colored my reading (pardon the pun! LOL)

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 8:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Yes, I certainly see the parallel w/"The Scarlet Letter," and I am not sure why I am having such a hard time with the futuristic elements because I regularly read books from a cop/mystery series - sorry, can't think of the author - set another hundred years or so in the future.

Like I said, I will give it a while longer - I hate to give up on a book! It is like - I probably would have started liking it on the next page - if I quit!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 9:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I finished it tonight, and it does pick up the pace long about 40% or so. If she's not out of the Center w/the Henleys yet, keep at it. Once she leaves there, I went from 40% to 70% without even realizing it.

Then again - there are too many good books to waste time on something you don't like. :-) I've put Armagedon (Uris) on the back burner for a bit because it's boring me to tears.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 8:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Well, I am taking two big shopping bags with me to the library today to bring home the 20 or so P. Gregory books I have ordered, so that may put paid to Miss Hannah. She hasn't left the PATH yet, so I will hang in there a bit longer!