TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 28, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 28, 2011 users admin

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 2:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
About halfway through with Stephen King's new book, "11/22/63" and loving it!

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 3:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Headed to the Library :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 8:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Turns out I was 79% into Steve Jobs but shortly after that it went into voluminous notes and book lists and and a subject index, so I was really done!

Now reading my book from Bookcrossing that has been to UK, Netherlands and will go on to Canada and them back home. Oh it was in France as well.

Hunting Unicorns by Bella Pollen, a book published in UK. It is ok; not my usual genre.

And Scout, I have Stephen Kings new book on my Kindle, just dying to be read!!! I had thought I'd start it today because of the date, but Steve Jobs took so long (or I was otherwise distracted, maybe) and then the bookcrossing book arrived and I need to get that read and off to the next reader.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 12:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I want to read Carrie Fisher's book and Stephen King's new one too!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I have King's new one on my massive TBR pile and still have his last one that I haven't read yet.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 10:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mamie, Under the Dome was good and I am REALLY looking forward to the new one..

I am making fast progress with the Brit novel.. almost at 300 pages of about 350. Already messaged the next reader..

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 7:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
"Under the Dome" is the only Steven King novel that I've read. I enjoyed it. His latest one sounds very intriguing.

I think I've asked this before but without giving away too much of the plots, knowing I liked Under the Dome, which other ones would you all recommend?

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 10:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I read Under the Dome. The one before his new one is Full Dark, No Stars and I haven't been in a dark enough mood to read it yet.

I finished Shockaholic. I think that Carrie has mellowed a whole lot. It wasn't has funny as her other books.

I'm now reading Here Home Hope by Kaira Rouda.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 10:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Read War Horse yesterday, and even though it's "YA" fiction, I enjoyed it.

Today I read Propaganda, M. Clifford's companion piece to "The Book." I didn't know he'd written the "government's" side of the Book's story, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a very quick read (under an hour), but I'd still love to have a class where I can teach The Book and then use Propaganda as a supplement to discuss point of view, rhetoric, reliable narrators, etc.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 11:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Hmm, I thought I posted earlier!

Jimmer, The Stand is very good.

I'm back on the Kindle.. dead tree books are so irritating when it comes to reading while using both hands (flossing, for instance, or blow drying hair). I'm reading a Kindle Single, \i}Lake}.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Friday, November 25, 2011 - 1:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
You've only read one SK book, Jimmer? Oh man, they are so much fun! I agree with Sea, The Stand is great. I also love IT (I've read that one so many times I've worn through three copies of it,) Pet Semetary (first one of his I ever read,) and The Shining.

Caleb recently started reading IT and cracked me up when he came out and said something I've thought for years, "Stephen King must have some wicked nightmares!" What I love about his books is that they are so well written, he's really good at what he does. If you've ever seen any of the movies based off his books (The Shining, Carrie, Cujo, It, The Stand, Pet Semetary, etc) and liked them...the books are so much better.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, November 25, 2011 - 7:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The Shining is one of my favorite movies. I read the first few pages of it in a bookstore yesterday and it seemed really good. War and Sea must be psychic. I was already thinking of reading The Stand, IT and The Shining!

Oh and I've wondered the same thing as Caleb. Where does he come up with this stuff.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Friday, November 25, 2011 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
I am reading "We have to talk about Kevin". Did not like it at first but it was recommended as one of the top books this year. Now it is getting good. It is about a mother who's son has killed classmates and a teacher. She is telling her story through letters to her ex. It is now getting really good.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Friday, November 25, 2011 - 10:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I started Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens. I enjoyed her first book(Still Missing) so much that I jumped at the chance to read this one. But I had to stop for awhile because the story is really getting to me. I hate reading how this fictional character grew up and the cold way she was treated by her adopted father.I'll pick it up on the weekend and push ahead.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10169662-never-knowing

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, November 25, 2011 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Cable, I enjoyed Still Missing a lot. I received advanced copies of both her books but Never Knowing just didn't do it for me.

Pippin, I loved Kevin. They've made a movie out of it.

The Stand is my very favorite King book.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, November 25, 2011 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Stephen King is the "king" of dialog and detail. His autobiographical book: On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft is quite interesting.

His love of popular music is heard throughout his books. I think he must pay attention to all the details around him and he stores them away.. my dentist told me that long ago, his children went to private school in Maine and he went back for parents' weekend and it turned out that Stephen King was another one of the parents there. Dr Eriksmoen was sort of taken aback that this celebrity was completely interested in him and his profession, peppering him with questions. He felt like his life was boring compared to SK's.

I don't think SK tends to be bored.

Of course he's also battled addictions and credits his wife Tabby with demanding that he pull out of that and then he was mowed down by the distracted driver in a big van and that just about did him in and again he credits Tabby for being there for him.

Unfortunately that seems to have greatly impacted the output from Tabitha King, who I find to be an excellent writer.. wish there was more from her.

IT was another big and wonderful read, I agree.

I just finished the Kindle Single, Lake.. and it was very good. Kind of an "Our Town" set at a lake that is purposely set up with above ground water lines so that most people are only there in the summer.. summer people, some locals.. anyway it consists of short statements that paint the scene.. set before, during and a bit after WWII.

And now.. will I jump feet first into King? Or make myself wait a bit longer?

I do want to get my free borrowed book from Amazon that I have coming during my free month of Amazon Prime for buying the Kindle Fire.. I want to find one that I really want to read that is also overpriced and save..

Mak1

08-11-2002

Friday, November 25, 2011 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    

Scariest. Clown. EVER!

It

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, November 25, 2011 - 8:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Tim Curry was too good!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, November 25, 2011 - 10:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I had repressed that clown.. but I think King taps into the fears of many who hate or fear clowns. <shudder>

I just spend ages searching and picked my book to borrow with Prime membership: an interesting sounding memoir Swimming in the Daylight: An American Student, a Soviet-Jewish Dissident in the Soviet Union, and the Gift of Hope by Lisa C. Paul, which is $14.97 on Kindle and free to borrow, so I borrowed :-)

I may read it before the new King. I do like to anticipate books like his..

Wargod

07-16-2001

Friday, November 25, 2011 - 11:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Ha! No matter how many times I've read IT, I always have to fight the urge to sleep with the lights on for a few nights when I pick it up again.

Marysafan

08-07-2000

Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 12:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marysafan a private message Print Post    
I recently read "Sister" by A. Manette Ansay. I liked it a lot and then decided to read her memoir titled "Limbo" which was exceptional. It was really cool to see the parallels between her real life and her fiction.

I also read "The Persian Pickle Club" by Sandra Dallas and liked it even better than "Tall Grass" and I really liked "Tall Grass" The Persian Pickle Club is a group of women who quilt together. A great well developed story that takes place during the depression. I especially loved the ending. I am looking forward to reading more of Sandra Dallas.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 2:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Just watched on TV Nora Robert's Montana Sky. It was pretty good, although I wasn't keen on the main actress. Was very happy with the casting of John Corbet as the male lead though. (big smile) It was really fun to see Nora and her husband in a cameo at the end of the film.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I finished "the Inappropriate life of Bezzellia Grove" and liked it ok. I also finished "Plain Truth" by Jodi Piccoult...I wasn't a fan of that one. Right now I just opened Maeve Binchy's Nights of Rain & Stars. Tell me it gets better after the first couple of chapters, please.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, November 28, 2011 - 1:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Not one of Binchy's best, but I liked it.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Monday, November 28, 2011 - 9:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Can you tell me what one of her better ones might be? I am headed back to the library tomorrow.