TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 20, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: How are you reading it (reading on various devices)?: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 20, 2011 users admin

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 6:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
http://www.freelibrary.org/

If you are over 65 you can sign up on line for a library card. It will come in the mail in a few days. I just used mine and it works!! Oh...and it is free.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 10:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Order up!
5-10 business days.

I assume they will have Kindle books...

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Friday, October 21, 2011 - 8:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
Yes they have kindle books. You may have to wait in line for the more popular books but there are lots and lots of books...ebooks and audio. I haven't had time to check out the audios yet. There is an advantage to being a senior at times

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, October 21, 2011 - 2:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I know! Not often enough to wish yourself older, but if you are there, take advantage.

And while I'm not the typical chick lit or mystery reader, I was looking at their list and I had read the first Travelling Pants book long ago, but never quite spent the money on the rest, in dead tree format, or on Kindle, and I see they have all four and a new one so I think as soon as my card and number arrive, I'll be queuing up for the first one and read that series. I can easily wait until my turn, since I have a huge supply of books yet to be read. Same thing when I come up on a list for a bookcrossing ring or ray, it arrives and I read it right away and send it on.

This really is a great find. I suspect I skipped over a thread about it on the bookcrossing site because the title was just the library name and I didn't think it would pertain to me, being at such distance.

So, thanks a bunch!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, October 21, 2011 - 6:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Seems that any veteran or active duty military can also get a free card there. And anyone can get the card for $35.

http://tinyurl.com/3fn5ens

Bowl4sport

07-21-2008

Friday, October 21, 2011 - 11:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bowl4sport a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey, your link only takes me to the main page of Kindle boards.

Which forum is it in and what is the topic?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, October 21, 2011 - 11:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I always forget the problem with thier urls.. I think I have it working now, but it is in the Lets Talk Kindle forum, Free Library of Philadelpha thread.

It sounds like they are a bit overwhelmed and not real high tech but they are sending cards to people.

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 10:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
I got mine in about 4 days....hmmm....maybe they figure the seniors might not have all that much time left!! I'm kidding...I'm kidding!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 1:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
LOL! Well in that KB thread they have figured out that the senior cards don't have expiration dates.. we think because you'll always be over 65 at that point. The paid ones do have exp dates.

I'm really looking forward to getting my card.

One KB member called and talked them into emailing her the number but the person on the phone was aghast at the idea that people might want the same thing and said it would be a huge burden.. so I'm happy to wait.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 3:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading all my books from my iPad. I have a Nook Color and down load the Nook books unto my iPad. The screen is soo much bigger and it spreads open like a real book. Just love it. It seems everyone has Kindle...I gave my Kindle to my niece and she loves it. I like the backlit devices.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I kind of like that look too -- like an open book. Backlit doesn't bother me much. But what does is the size and WEIGHT of the iPad. I like the size, therefore good portability, of Kindles and probably Fire.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 9:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Today I'm reading on my Fire. Tomorrow on my Touch.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 11:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Color, have you managed to get into TVCH with your Fire, yet? How are you liking it?? Definitely packs some weight..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 12:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Nevermind. Posting from Fire Lizard.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 6:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I AM liking it. Prefer it to iPad 1 which I don't use much. Smaller size and weight are definitely pluses for me.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 7:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I wish that Apple offered a smaller version of the iPad. As nice as it is it is bigger than what I want.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 10:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Hard to say what they will do next, and without Steve.

Amazon is rumored to be puttng out a larger pad in time.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 12:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Hmm, what'd I say when they announced the fire? I'm not techie enough to want the newest techie toys? Pfft on that. We decided to order the fire for each other as anniversary gifts, they came yesterday and they are pretty nifty.

Haven't played with it too much, but so far I really like it. The size is fine for me and like the regular kindle, it's so easy to use.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 2:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
My Kindle Touch came today. Lovin' Amazon's tech toys.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 5:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
So you have a pair of Fires?

Excellent anniversary gifts, I must say!

I downloaded a couple of free angry birds apps and I think I need to borrow a teen or pre teen (heck probably a 6 year old) for hints on lobbing better birds..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 8:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
War, on kindleboards the area is Fire Talk and it is buzzing :-)

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 11:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
I just ordered the Kindle Fire for my niece from Amazon. The earliest she will receive it is Dec. 12 to 15 even with 2-3 day mail. Free shipping will not be delivered until after Christmas. It sure is a big hit.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 4:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I ordered cases for ours on either Wed or Thursday from Amazon and they told me they won't be ready to ship til the 28th or 29th. Wondered at the time if even those were flying off the shelves, so to speak.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 9:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Some cases that fit the Kindle Keyboard (formerly known as the Kindle 3) work fine for the Kindle Fire.. My Oberon Designs cover fits well, but I'm still reading on the K3/KK, so I dug out the Nook cover I use on the K3 at first, before Oberon had their covers ready, and it is just fine for my Fire.. actually better than it was for the K3. (This would be the Nook available at the time I got my K3.. I think Nooks may be smaller now, just as the newer Kindles are smaller, so a new Nook cover probably won't work. My CrazyDigital cover for K3 does not work for the Fire..

I think on kindleboard they are discussing other covers that will fit and of course covers are being made. I know Oberon is now taking orders for Fire, Touch and K4/Mini Kindles.

Jag, as long as you get it by Christmas, you should be fine.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Sea, I had an Oberon cover for my K1. (Have sold K1 and cover.) K1 was bigger than any Kindle after. I liked the Oberon but felt it was heavy, thick, bulky. Because all later Ks are smaller, Oberon covers are smaller, etc.? What's your thinking about Oberons now size and weight-wise? I'm debating about an Oberon for my K Touch. I'm fine with reading Ks and Fire nekid, so have ordered simple WaterField slip cases for both.