TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 13, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 13, 2011 users admin

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Monday, October 31, 2011 - 7:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I am in the middle of Columbine by Dave Cullen. Not something I usually would read, but everything I thought I knew about this tragic event, is being changed by the information in this book.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1889180,00.html

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, October 31, 2011 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just read "I Know I Am, But What Are You?" by Samantha Bee. She's a correspondent from The Daily Show and as is the case with a lot of these books of short funny anecdotes, some were very funny, some not so much.

I'm now reading "The Year Everything Changed" by Georgia Bokkoven. It's about a man who's dying and wants to get his 4 daughters together. They are all unaware that the others exist.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, October 31, 2011 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Cable, that's a well done book from an insider..

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey--I'm finding it very thorough and well researched.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 2:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yep, and sad.

And Wally Lamb wrote a novel based around Columbine that is a good read after reading the book you are reading, as I remember.. I think I read them in that order.

Welll.. I just checked and I'm wrong. I read The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb in 2008 and Columbine in 2009. At least I bought them in that order and I'm sure I read each of them pretty quickly after buying them.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I second the Lamb book - it is fabulous!

Egbok

07-13-2000

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 11:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I'm about one third through the Lamb novel and it's an excellent read so far. I'm a big Lamb fan. I'll certainly look into Columbine after I finish this book.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 1:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Great combination! Sorry I already read them, in a way.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 8:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
About to start Swamplandia.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 10:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Escapee, you'll have to let me know what you think. I didn't really like it. It started out one way and takes a strange turn.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 10:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Ok, well it got good reviews, so I am going to give it a shot. I also picked up Nora Roberts the Search

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
It got great reviews!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, November 04, 2011 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I didn't like The Year Everything Changed at all. I didn't feel a thing for most of the characters. That's never a good sign.

I'm now reading The Baker's Wife by Erin Healy.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Friday, November 04, 2011 - 9:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I'm currently reading The House at Riverton by Kate Morton. I also recently read The Forgotten Garden. I love the way she writes.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 6:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Currently reading A SUMMER AFFAIR by Susan Wiggs. Not loving it at all. I prefer her contemporary stories and this one is more of a historical romance. Also not sure when it was written but it doesn't read as slickly as most of her stuff. I'm about a third of the way in and still not loving it. At least it's a library book I dl'd to my Kobo so I'm not out of pocket.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Reading Kitchen Confidential - and loving it. My first Kindle Lending book from Amazon. Also reading The Storyteller by Mario Vargas Llosa - parts of it I'm loving; other parts are sluggish.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 11:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Could not get into "The Help." Took it back to the library today after only reading a couple of chapters (I know there are a ton of people waiting for it). Still struggling with "Moneyball" and reading "Life at the Silver and Gold" to put myself to sleep at night.

Picked up three that I'm anxious to read today: "The Women of the Cousins' War" (YAY TUDORS AND SHIT!!); "Gucci Wars: How I Survived Murder and Intrigue at the Heart of the World's Biggest Fashion House" by Jenny Gucci (YAY FASHION and INTRIGUE); and best of all . . . tah dahhhhhh: "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks." I am saving this for last, just like a dessert. I even got it in large print so I could get a copy faster LOL.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 12:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I won a copy of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks from Random House for filling out a survey. I was excited!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 12:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
And since it's my birthday tomorrow, I'm already window shopping online for books because I know some gift cards are coming my way.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 1:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Teach, that sounds like a good one for me to "borrow".. but I won't have Amazon Prime until my Kindle Fire arrives, then I get a free month and may well subscribe. Hard to say. I had a free month awhile back, maybe when I ordered my Kindle 2, just to get faster shipping, and ordered something else but dont seem to crave the faster free shipping that often.. but with the book a month and well see about videos..

GAL, well if The Help wasn't your cup of tea, someone will at least get it a bit sooner. I really loved that book.

Henrietta Lacks.. different sort of book, but I certainly thought it was a good read and of course I'm the queen of non-fiction, loving to know more and more.

I finished Ashley Judd's book The Bitter and the sweet (or something like that) and, it could have been more tightly written, but parts of it just left me shattered, though I had read and knew of the situations she encountered through other docutmenters and what actually surprised me the most was to discover that both Wynonna and then Ashley did work at Shades of Hope in Texas with Tennie.. who some of us became aware of through Ruby, who had Tennie come and work with her "fat group" but clearly Ruby wasn't about to go into the treatment with Tennie.. then Tennie and Shades of Hope were featured on a reality show last year that was quite powerful. Well Ashley describes her time in the program and considers Tennie to be a mentor and surrogate grandmother and I enjoyed learning more about that and about Tennie.

This was my first borrowed book on Kindle, through the Free Library of Philadelphia! Yess! Free card, saved $12.99 so far.

Back to Steve Jobs now, but itching to go search the Free Library to see what I can find available. I do have two books where I'm on the waiting list. Have to say even when Ashley gets wordy, she's more uplifting than what I'm reading about the say Steve bulldozed over people at times.

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Monday, November 07, 2011 - 9:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
Loved The Help! I was a little girl at the time of the setting of the book. Since I lived in Southern Indiana, where no African Americans lived, I was ignorant of everything in this book. Saw the movie first and then had to read the book.

Finished Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly this weekend. Saw the movie first. My first read by Michael C. Good author and fast pace great story.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, November 07, 2011 - 6:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Read Diary of a Mad Fat Girl yesterday - not well-written, but it was an easy read on my phone while I was waiting around the last couple days. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, November 07, 2011 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Still trucking through Steve Jobs but a surprise in the mail.. a Bookcrossing Book! I had sent off my address but it was so long ago.. anyway it arrived today from The Netherlands. even with a nice card with a windmill "Groeten uit... Holland". So.. dead treee book to read.. Hunting Unicorns by Bella Pollen.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Has anyone read "A Redbird Christmas" by Fannie Flagg? My bookclub is looking for a holiday book to read during December and that was one of the suggestions.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Reenie, it's a nice little Christmas book.