TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 29, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 29, 2011 users admin

Escapee

06-15-2004

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 1:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Just finished Summer Island and Magic Hour by Kristin Hannah. Summer Island was 'blah' and Magic hour was ok. Off to the library tonight for more!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Reenie, I am so glad you are enjoying the Cathy Kelly novels! She writes about 1 a year. It's a long wait for me. LOL. You are lucky cuz you get to zoom through a bunch of them now at least til you are caught up.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Wickedly Charming, and it's a fun read. Took a while to get into it, for me, but worth it. It's a unique story.

I wish I could remember who recommended it here, cuz I want to say thanks!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, October 21, 2011 - 3:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished The Dovekeepers and loved it. Alice Hoffman took the factual story of Masada and the reports that 2 women and 5 children were the only survivors, and constructed a wonderful story about some powerful women.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Friday, October 21, 2011 - 3:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I picked up the Peach Keeper and a book called Versailles (about Marie Antionette). We will see how they do.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, October 21, 2011 - 4:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
The Peach Keeper is not my favorite of her books. I loved the other ones.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, October 21, 2011 - 4:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm trying The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks now. His last few books have left me bored, the same old, same old. I'm hoping this at least lives up partly to The Notebook or A Walk to Remember.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, October 21, 2011 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
By the end of the book, it was clear that BeBe Buell a) is crazy and b) made bad decisions in her youth that negatively effected the rest of her life. (Ex. - she's convinced that Elvis Costello is still writing songs about her 30 years after their brief affair while he was married and had a child). It's kind of sad. Liv fired her as her momager when she was 18 because of her inability to separate her responsibilities as a mother and a manager from her insatiable need to self-promote. Gracious. (BeBe has recently been in the news for criticizing Lindsay Lohan's mother for being a bad mother, which is what prompted me to order her book from the library.)

The book is a good read, though, particularly the first half she sounds like she had a pretty good life ahead of her. By the last half, though - oy. Grow up, lady.

On to a biography of Maria Tallchief. She has always fascinated me, particularly for being the first among many principal ballerinas who married the Pee-Paw George Ballenchine.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Bear, Otter and The Kid... it was a good story but needed quite a bit of editing as it was quite wordy and repetitive.

Now starting the new bio, Steve Jobs. This was a pre-order, to be delivered Oct 24. I just pre-ordered earlier this evening, but prior to the 24th even on the west coast and it just downloaded immediately! Looking forward to this.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Sea, I watched the 60 Minutes interview with the writer tonight and wanted to immediately order it. You'll have to let me know how it is.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well I'm watching 60 Minutes now and he's coming off as a bit of an ass.. so far in the book, just reading their cast of characters.

There is a Jeff Bezos bio coming out real soon and I think I want to read that too.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, October 24, 2011 - 7:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Just finished Bad Animals by Joel Yanofsky. He's the father of an autistic child. It's a wrenchingly honest account. Joel is a book reviewer so it makes sense that his book is sprinkled with his opinion of OTHER books on the subject and how they helped him - or not.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, October 24, 2011 - 12:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Just finished "What Remains" by Carole Radziwill. Not sure why I did that to myself, with my currently depressing issues over my Dad and Puss. I guess I needed a reminder that so many people have it so much worse, even those who seem to have a charmed life: a self-made woman married to a Polish prince, best friends with JFK Jr. and Caroline Bessette. All of whom died within a three week span in 1999.

The book is bitter and sweet. A love letter to a brief moment in her life where she never really had it all, because her husband was already battling cancer when she married him. Her five year marriage was spent in one hospital or another, or just waiting for the next axe to fall with her husband's cancer that would be surgically removed then reappear later. And then, of course, the unbelievable tragedy with JFK et al. that occurred while her husband was in the final throes of his disease. Jr. was his best friend and cousin.

Jeeminy. I can do what I have to do; I never had to do that. Still, I do recommend the book it is a beautifully written reminiscence of shooting stars and friends who will forever remain young. No trash-talking here.

I just read that Carole Radziwill is going to joint the Real Wives of New York cast. I've never watched any of the Real Wives show, but I would like to catch up on what is happening in her life.

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Monday, October 24, 2011 - 12:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I just ordered "Through My Eyes" by Steve Balsamo...who is the father of one of dear friends.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link to his website or not.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, October 24, 2011 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Of course you can post it..

It is also available at Amazon apparently in Kindle format only.

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Monday, October 24, 2011 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
www.creativeideaspublishing.com is the website. My friend is actually pictured with him on the home page.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 2:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Just started "Love and War" by James Hewitt (Princess Diana's boyfriend). I'm only a chapter in and already I don't like him. Doubt I'll make it through the book.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 3:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I didn't like the new Nicholas Sparks book so I'm done with him now. I won't buy another one.

I'm now falling in love with a boy named Charlie in "The Perks of Being a Wallflower".

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 12:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Just picked up "The Help" and "Moneyball" from the library. Yay.

For you ladies who have an SO in the house that likes to watch "Pawnstars" on History Channel - I picked up "License to Pawn: Deals, Steals and My Life at the Gold and Silver" by Rick Harrison (the star of "Pawnstars.") Gave it to Colossus in hopes that he could downstress with some mindless reading, and he is REALLY. REALLY. Enjoying it. He gives it a two thumbs up. You might want to keep it in mind as a stocking stuffer or something.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
GAL DH likes Pawnstars and also STORAGE WARS....(yawn/LOL) I'll get the book for him for xmass... if I can find it. Thanks to you and Colossus for that recomendation.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 12:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
'twelcome, MB. I'm sure he'll love it. It even has chapters written by The Old Man and Hoss.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 12:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
The ONLY Hoss I know was Dan Blocker on Bonanza, (wink) but I'm sure 'my' Old Man will know and appreciate it.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 1:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
LOL!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, October 28, 2011 - 6:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'm still reading Steve Jobs (not quickly, I seem to be busy or falling asleep lately), which is quite interesting, but I just got my free library card from the Free Library of Philadelphia and couldn't resist downloading a free book on Kindle on loan. Ashley Judd's memoir. I am on the list for Chaz Bono's book and another..

Marysafan

08-07-2000

Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 8:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marysafan a private message Print Post    
Currently reading a new Jeffrey Archer novel that is supposed to be the first in a series. (Yay!!) I am liking it a lot and am finding it very reminiscent of "As the Crow Flies" which is one of my favorite novels ever. The new book is titled "Only Time Will Tell".