TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 19, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 19, 2011 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 2:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
SG, I still have to locate my library card, or give up and get a replacement number and then I plan to start using my library for kindle downloads. I hope there will be some of interest to me, considering that my tastes in books can be eccentric at times. Hoping for newer releases that I don't want to pay for myself.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 3:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I lost mine Sea. Using my daughters.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
LOL! No daughter.. I know mine is "around".. somewhere. I even think it is in the living room. And of course I have tons of books I can read in the meantime. But OCPL has Kindlebooks and I'm wanting to participate in that!

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
LOL...thank you Mame. I do jump in every once in a while but I guess I am following the handbook for grief. Some days I can barely get out of bed and some days I am okay. At least my days of being okay are getting more than my bad days.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
SG, it's good to hear that your okay days now outnumber your bad days. (((Gentle hugs, my friend.)))

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 5:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Yup - I'm getting Kindle books AND audio books from Overdrive. My problem is that I'm working so much I don't have time to read. (Hate it when that happens).

I have to admit that I'm slugging through the Henrietta Lacks book. HER story interests me greatly; the science, though - not so much. I think it's because I'm too busy and it requires thinking! LOL It's a library book on my Kindle, so I can't get another one until I finish (or give up) b/c as soon as I connect to the 3G, I'll lose it (I'm WAY over the 7 day check out time.)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
SG, glad those ok days are starting to add up.. good to see you posting and glad you have a Kindle too.

Hmm, that might be a plan for library books.. download them to one specific kindle (I have several) and then don't turn on the 3G or wireless until done with that book.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Friday, October 14, 2011 - 8:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
SG Add me to the list of those who are glad you are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Sadly (because I wanted it to go on longer and move forward in time, even more) I finished We Bought a Zoo: The Amazing True Story of a Young Family, a Broken Down Zoo, and the 200 Wild Animals That Change Their Lives Forever: A Memoir by Benjamin Mee.

Now I want to see the BBC documentary Ben's Zoo. And see the pictures not included in this edition (but for 48 cents, I can hardly complain!

Next, TBD.. lots of choices.

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 2:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
Thank you all for the good thoughts! I don't have a kindle, my eldest daughter has the kindle and I have the kindle on the PC. In fact I just used it to download the coolest quilting book called "Best In Show" and has all these great dogs that you can quilt on blocks. And it's from the library! I spend a fortune on quilt books at Joanns. There is an abundance of cooking books too.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well it is great that you have that access!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Started Saying Goodbye by Ann Boutte, Dianna Calareso, Diana Smadeo and a bunch of others.. a collection of true stories about saying goodbye to the people, places and things in our lives.

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 8:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
http://www.backlistebooks.com/ This is a great site for books in all the formats...without the drm and priced from 99 cents to $3.99. I've bought a few of my cozies from here and been very happy.

Ginger1218

08-30-2001

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ginger1218 a private message Print Post    
I just read Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly. It was excellent. Really learned a lot about Lincoln's last 2 weeks. Fascinating.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 10:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
SG I have a KOBO, can I use the backlistbooks site to dl books? I like their prices!

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 11:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
Mame yes...just click on the book cover and it will show on the next page where to get the book and they should give it to you at that price. Smashwords is another good site to buy from...I've gotten from them also.

This huge price fix that the publishers established doesn't make the authors very happy and in fact some of the authors have said that they get none of the extra money...all goes to publishers who are whining their cost have gone up. Hmmm...seems like it was 49 cents a book to put on internet...but do not quote me on that.

Some authors are publishing directly on smashwords and it makes it interesting to keep up on their AKAs. One western author (friend of my brother)is selling his books for 99cents on line and he is making more now then going thru a publisher. In stead of the whining and fixing prices the publishers need to rethink the way they are doing business.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 11:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That was one unfortunate thing Steve Jobs did was colluding with publishers to try to hurt Amazon (and the kindle). Formerly, Amazon would often price books lower than the publisher price (but paid the publisher their price) as a loss leader, which benefitted the readers. Anyway the upshot was that Amazon had to start charging the prices set by the publishers for those books. The upshot for me.. I rarely buy those books.

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 4:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
There has been some legal action started because this is actual price-fixing which is against the law. Kobo used to give us discounts on books but not the "agency" books now.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 4:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yep.. same with Amazon. Steve apparently thought he could kill e-readers in favor of the ipad. I think .. or maybe just kill reading.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 6:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just picked up The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman to read. She's one of my favorite authors.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, October 17, 2011 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Read Kristin Chenoweth's autobiography "A Little Bit Wicked." She's very sweet. But as far as recommendations go, I'd pass this one up and wait until she writes one at the age of 75 and doesn't give a shit what she says about anyone. She lets nothing hang out in this one.

On to Bebe Buell's "Rebel Heart: An American Rock and Roll Journey." She is Liv Tyler's mother and a high-profile muse for a number of musicians (she calls herself a muse, she calls other women like her loose groupies.) I'm a couple of chapters in, and she's already banged a number of big names from the late '60's, early '70's. Having read Pamela De Barres' autobiographies of this same era, it's nice to contrast. They definitely had different east coast/west coast sensibilities. And DeBarres had to scramble hard to land a rock n roller - Buell had them scrambling to land her most of the time.

She says it's because she's so beautiful and elegant. LOL. This may be true, but who says that about themselves? I'm enjoying the read, though.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, October 17, 2011 - 9:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Saying Goodbye had some excellent stories!

Now have to move on to a different book..

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 3:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
I'm going to post this in two places because I'm not sure which is more or less appropriate.

A new USA movie is airing in early November called Certain Prey. It is an adaption of one of the finest Prey novels that John Sandford ever wrote. All fans of the "Prey" series should be psyched.

If you're a Mark Harmon fan (as I am) then you'll be psyched to know that he is playing the iconic and controversial hero, Lucas Davenport.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Next book will be Bear, Otter, and the Kid..

Reenie

06-24-2006

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 6:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I just finished "True Story: Murder, Mayhem and Mea Culpa" by Michael Finkel.

A fascinating work of non-fiction. I couldn't put it down.

Now on to some "chick lit", my third Cathy Kelly book, "Never Too Late". Thanks again MAMEBLANCHE for turning me on to her.