TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 16, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: How are you reading it (reading on various devices)?: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 16, 2011 users admin

Wargod

07-16-2001

Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I'm going to complain about the dumbest thing ever, lol, or maybe it's not.

Last week while shopping for Kota's birthday, I saw that Walmart, horrible, horrible Walmart, has started to sell e-readers. I saw Kindle, Nook, Kobo, and there may have been something else. I got all kinds of excited, not because they are selling the e-readers, but if they're selling Kindle, they must be selling the Amazon gift cards, right?

Wrong...I've searched that store over everytime I've been there since (sadly more times that I care to admit, I hate Walmart) and not a single Amazon gift card to be found. I was pretty mad about it last night, Darren thinks my reaction is kinda funny.

Tried telling him, I like to buy the gift cards, it keeps my book budget spending on track. I know dang well I can just sign into my account, buy an e-book and they'll charge it to my checking account, but if I do that, I tend to ignore my budget with an, "Oh, just one more book is cool." Not to mention, I'd rather give sis or aunt a gc so they actually have a little present to open. And as it is now, the only places here to buy the gc's are Target (rarely go there) or Walgreens.

What the heck is the point of selling the e-readers, if you're not going to sell the gift cards to buy books with?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 23, 2011 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Right now Amazon still isn't charging sales tax.. so I'd order the gift cards from them.. But I have to admit to never buying a gift card other than at the store involved (just means I don't buy many gift cards) so I'm not aware.. are Amazon GCs available at other stores?

Hmm, online it seems that they are available at some stores but the info I saw was pretty old.. 2007.. at Rite Aid

But I had NO idea that you could get so many different "looks" on Amazon GCs..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/gc/ref=topnav_giftcert

This page has one link to find out which retail stores carry them.. and check out coinstar in some areas you can convert your loose change into Amazon gift cards (personally that seems just like buying the cards since I actually use coins sometimes :-) )

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/
ref=hp_200546120_other?nodeId=200546120#other

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 23, 2011 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I had to look..

Amazon.com Gift Cards in $15, $25, $50, and $100 denominations are sold by grocery, drug and convenience stores throughout the U.S.* and have no purchase fees. Get one for yourself, or give one as a gift.

*Note: Amazon.com Gift Cards are not sold in Arkansas, Illinois, or Louisiana. Designs and denominations vary by retailer.
Participating retailers include:
A&P
Acme
Albertsons
American Greetings
Basha's
Best Buy (Kindle-branded cards only)
Big Y Foods
Bigg's
Bloom
Bottom Dollar
Brookshire Brothers
Carrs|Safeway
Cub Foods
CVS Pharmacy
Dillons
Dollar General
Dominick's
Duane Reade
Farm Fresh
Food Lion
Food 4 Less
Fred Meyer
Fry's
Genuardi's
Giant
Giant Eagle
Hannaford Brothers
Harris Teeter
HEB Grocery
Hornbacher's
Hyvee
Ingles Markets
JayC
Jewel-Osco
Kinney Drug
King Kullen
King Soopers
Kroger
Kwik Shop
Loaf N Jug
Lowes
Marcs
Martin's
Microsoft retail stores (Kindle-branded cards only)
Pathmark Stores
Pavilions
Price Chopper
PriceRite
QFC
Quik Stop
Raley's
Ralphs
Randalls
Redner's Markets
Rite-Aid
Roths
Roundy's
Safeway
Save Mart
Schnucks
Scolari's
Shaw's
Sheetz
Shop n Save
Shoppers
ShopRite
Smith's
Staples (Kindle-branded cards only)
Stater Bros.
Stop & Shop
Spartan Stores
Target (Kindle-branded cards only)
Tom Thumb
Turkey Hill
United Supermarkets (United, Market Street, Amigos)
Vons
Walgreens
Wegmans
Weis
Winn Dixie

*Note: Amazon.com Gift Cards are not sold in Arkansas, Illinois, or Louisiana.

Restrictions apply to Amazon.com Gift Cards. See www.amazon.com/gc-legal for complete terms and conditions. Amazon.com Gift Cards and codes are issued by ACI Gift Cards, Inc., a Washington company, and are sold by authorized resellers.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 23, 2011 - 11:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Also be sure that the general ones cover Kindle books if that is the intent (for Mut and other family members who are Kindlers.).. I'm not sure but have heard some rumblings. It may just have to do with the Amazon mastercards.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 23, 2011 - 6:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Library Lending of Kindle books is here for many libraries.. I just checked and the Orange County (CA) Public Library has lots. Now I have to find my library card and get signed up online.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 3:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
I

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 7:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
For those still on the fence about ereaders or deciding on which one to purchase... Amazon is holding a press conference right now. It's in process but so far it appears they will be releasing a basic Kindle for just $79. Rumour is the other product will be a tablet or closer to that anyway but a $79 Kindle? Yeh!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
There are a number of new Kindle e-readers and a tablet Amazon is calling Fire to choose from.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005890G8O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=awebblogbrdcst-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&
creative=399373&creativeASIN=B005890G8O

Scroll down to see all of them.. in a comparison chart.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 1:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I didn't see anything that got me really excited. I guess, as a person not at all interested in them, the tablet looks good with the price, but not something I'd buy for me. Besides having no idea what to do with it, lol, I saw a clip on the news and there was terrible glare across the screen.

The touch might be kinda cool (I hate hitting the page buttons on the side of my kindle by accident) but, I've seen Kota's ipod touch and the smudged fingerprints and wonder how difficult that'd make reading.

All in all, I'm happy with my kindle with no smudges and no glares, lol. Er, though I did get my hands on a dx (that's the bigger one right?) the other day and absolutely drooled over it. If I upgrade, that's the way I'm going.

Oh, I was excited about the lower prices on the ones announced today, though! $79? That's terrific. Sis and bil have been pondering buying one for my niece, the little reader, and we've actually been considering one for Caleb (he can take them and use them in school instead of real books.) Much easier for me to order him an ebook than drive him to Palmdale every few weeks to the bookstore.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I stole this summary from Kindleboards:

Courtesy of Dream Weaver:

There are now SO many Kindle choices that I thought this list may be helpful to some. Here are links to all the Kindle models:

NO KEYBOARD BUTTONS:

$79 – http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wi-Fi-Ink-Display-Screensavers/dp/B0051QVESA/?tag=kindleboards-20

NEW Kindle with page buttons + 5-way (no touchscreen) wi-fi only with special offers (ads) – 6" e-ink display

$109 – http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wi-Fi-Ink-Display-Screensavers/dp/B0051QVESA/?tag=kindleboards-20

NEW Kindle with page buttons + 5-way (no touchscreen) wi-fi only with no ads – 6" e-ink display

$99 – http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Touch-Wi-Fi-Ink-Display/dp/B005890G8Y/?tag=kindleboards-20

Kindle Touch wi-fi only with special offers(ads) – 6" e-ink display

$139 – http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Touch-Wi-Fi-Ink-Display/dp/B005890G8Y/?tag=kindleboards-20

Kindle Touch wi-fi only with no ads – 6" display/e-ink

$149 – http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Touch-Free-Wi-Fi-Display/dp/B005890G8O/?tag=kindleboards-20

Kindle Touch free 3G+wi-fi with special offers (ads)

– 6" e-ink display

$189 – http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Touch-Free-Wi-Fi-Display/dp/B005890G8O/?tag=kindleboards-20

Kindle Touch free 3G+wi-fi with no ads –

6" e-ink display

$199 – http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Color-Multi-touch-Display-Wi-Fi/dp/B0051VVOB2/?tag=kindleboards-20

Kindle Fire – wi-fi only

– full color 7" multi-touch display

KINDLE WITH KEYBOARD:

$99 – http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Special-Offers-Wireless-Reader/dp/B004HFS6Z0/?tag=kindleboards-20

K3 Kindle Keyboard wi-fi only with special offers (ads) –

6" e-ink display

$139 – url=http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Special-Offers-Wireless-Reader/dp/B004HFS6Z0/?tag=kindleboards-20

K3 Kindle Keyboard wi-fi only with no ads

– 6" e-ink display

$139 – =http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Keyboard-Free-Wi-Fi-Display/dp/B004HZYA6E/?tag=kindleboards-20]

K3 Kindle Keyboard free 3G+wi-fi with special offers (ads) – 6" e-ink display

$189 – http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Keyboard-Free-Wi-Fi-Display/dp/B004HZYA6E/?tag=kindleboards-20

K3 Kindle Keyboard free 3G+wi-fi with no ads – 6" e-ink display

$379 – [url=http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-DX-Wireless-Reader-3G-Global/dp/B002GYWHSQ/?tag=kindleboards-20

Kindle DX free 3G only[/url] – 9.7" e-ink display

The touch devices have a touch keypad.. but the others seem like they will have to use the five way controller to access one letter at a time. This won't be a big deal for those who don't use the keyboard much now, or wouldn't. So the $79 price could be just excellent.

From all reports, the special offer ads are not intrusive, not within books, actually more attractive than the dead author screen savers and there have been some very popular offers. I haven't had such a device, yet.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 2:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I like my buttons!! I can hold my kindle in one hand with my thumb lightly on the next page button and gently press it to turn the page. I understand it has to do with the size of your hands as my bil needs two hands to change pages or have the device resting on something so he has a hand free. A touch screen isn't a lure for me at all. I have been looking at an ipad though for mobile email and ltd internet access. The Fire is a no-brainer for me, I get what I need for $199 instead of close to a grand. Will be ordering one as soon as they release it in Canada.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 6:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh, right.. people on KB were saying it was US only, so far. But Kindles have been released in Canada so I imagine the Fire will show up there.. after all it is wifi only so no telecom problems.. it took awhile for Amazon to make deals with Canadian telecom, as I recall, for the whispernet access like the 3G they use on some models.

On Kindleboards there are tons who are stoked about touch and tons who want their buttons.. we've all been anticipating this announcement for a long long time and signed up for a free one before we knew what "one" was. Sigh.. no I didn't win the Fire when they drew names last night. Oh well.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Me = TOUCH TOUCH TOUCH

I looked at the nook Simple Touch not long ago in B&N. (I was in B&N only because Borders is now gone.) I liked it -- for the touch. Ordered my Kindle Touch 3G with special offers. Wasn't going to get a Fire . . . . I ordered it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 10:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I saw that on KB!! Same orders so far..

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, September 30, 2011 - 3:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Actually there is a bigger problem with the Fire and Canada Sea, unfortunately. It has to do with the subscription service (Amazon Prime?) which is not available up here as of yet. With one of the big lures for the tablet being movies, etc I can't see them releasing it to us until they get over that hurdle. Even now, so many years later we only get a fraction of the service the USA gets from Netflix for example. Not sure what our regulation issues are but it could put a real crimp in the Fire's availability up here. Hope I am wrong but then we are still not allowed to watch superbowl commercials so I will keep my fingers crossed but not hold my breath. LOL

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 30, 2011 - 11:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Ahhh.. well, hopefully they will work something out.. for the fire.

For the Touch, seems like they'd be available.

I do have to question myself about the Touch, since I don't know if movies will be a big draw for me. Email, Angry Birds, sure, websites, yes. We'll see.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 30, 2011 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
War. people have been taking delivery of the $79 Kindles and seem very pleased! I think they have no audio, if that makes a difference but so far it seems they are VERY cute, light.. someone found that until she gets a cover she is having it display upside down and it is easier to use the buttons. People say the on screen keyboard that you scroll through works just fine. One thing that bothered one guy was that it page refreshed in some way every 6 pages, but they already have an upgrade to allow the user to refresh every time if they want.

Anyway it could be great for gifts..

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, October 02, 2011 - 9:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Today's deal on amazon.com is a Kindle book for 99¢. It is The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Pötzsch, who is a descendant of an actual executioner. The reviews are mixed, but many more good than bad. I have not read it. It sounds interesting, so I wanted to let everyone know.

Link: amazon.com

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 02, 2011 - 11:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It does sound good and I do have it (or Amazon has it in my cloud).. been .99 for awhile.. thanks for the reminder.. just grabbed it out of archives.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, October 02, 2011 - 5:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Well, isn't amazon tricky, putting it on as Today's Deal as if it was a special today only.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 6:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I just read UR, a short story by Stephen King. It was a story about a Kindle that was "other-worldly". The Experimental option took the owner to unknown books and times. It was entertaining as a .99 story, but I wouldn't recommend paying the current price of $3.19. It is only available as a Kindle d/l or as an audiobook.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 11:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That was a good one.. way back when there was just the Kindle 1 Amazon wanted Stephen King to write an exclusive novelette. He wasn't inclined to do this but they persisted. So he said he would write it if they would make him a pink Kindle. And he has the only pink Kindle. I've seen a picture of it somewhere, with Stephen.

I suspect he has since acquired later models. He says he still reads dead tree books but also reads on the Kindle.

Of course his mind ran with Experimental options!!

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
That backstory is really interesting, Sea! Thanks for sharing that. Yes, I can see how his mind would run with Experimental options. I wished it was longer, because I know he could have kept going with a full book. Now I understand why it was a novelette instead.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It was one of the first things I read on my Kindle 1 (along with Innocents Abroad) and we were all pretty excited to have an exclusive..