TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 13, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 13, 2011 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
GAL, I loved The Glass Castle and highly recommend her more recent book, Half Broke Horses: A True Life Novel which is really based on her grandmother..

Mary, that sounds worth reading.. the Tim Russert, as I've heard him talk of Big Russ.. I THINK I read that book but did see a piece he did on TV, if memory serves me correctly.

I'm still totally enjoying the journey on the Appalachian Trail..

Sia

03-10-2002

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 10:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sia a private message Print Post    
My DH "let" me order myself a Kindle for my birthday this summer, and I've just started using it in earnest. I enjoy having lots of reading material with me in one handy device and can entertain myself with reading short stories, novels, and playing puzzle games--most of which I've downloaded for free, which makes things even nicer! For my first novel I downloaded a book that I read several years back in hardcover form (which I'd borrowed from the library at that time), "Guns of the South." I've finished several samples of books that I downloaded for free and have read a couple of short stories. I really like the Kindle; I thought I would, but wasn't sure how it would work out for me. I would recommend that anyone wanting a great gift for a high school graduate consider purchasing a book reader of some sort; if I were young, I'd start my book collection on Kindle and not buy so many paperbacks and hardbacks, which take up so much physical space. Gotta love technology!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 11:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Especially with the readers getting smaller and the prices too. People are calling the new $79 kindle with no keyboard the Mini Kindle or Baby Kindle..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 11:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And now there is borrowing for some books from other kindlers and library borrowing finally on Kindle (Nook and Kobo already had it )

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 11:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Caleb's school allows the kids to bring ereaders to school. Since we buy novels for his classes (he could borrow them, but he tends to mark up the books underlining passages or page numbers he'll need to go back to,) we've been considering getting him one for a while. It'd be easier getting what he needs from amazon than driving to Palmdale to the bookstore everytime he needs a new book.

For any older kid, whose school allows the techie toys (Dakota's doesn't,) the $79 kindle is probably a good educational investment. Just thinking about how often he comes home and tells me he needs to go to the bookstore, in the long run, it'll probably save more money in gas being able to order the ebooks!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 6:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Sia welcome to the world of eBooks! :-) What an excellent b'day gift. :-)

Escapee

06-15-2004

Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 8:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I just finished the Marsha Canham Robin Hood Trilogy on my kindle. I really enjoyed it. I am reading the Nora Roberts Bridal Quartet, and while I do enjoy her writing because it's usually a fast read.....they are all so predictable. After finishing the first book I knew what was goign to happen in the last book. I am about 1/2 way through the third. It's jut not grabbing me. Looks like a library run today or I am going to finally read the Lord John Books.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have to find my library card.. just so I can start reserving Kindle books from the library!

Sia, and anyone with Kindles, www.kindleboards.com is a great place to find postings about free and bargain books (in Book Bazaar threads and lots of "help" discussing anything to do with Kindle and also other readers.. definitely you'll see some TVCHers over there.. I run into Color fairly often..

Escapee, I get frustrated with authors who really can write a book that draws me in but then they don't break from the same formula..

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Half Broke Horses. I bought it a while back, but cant figure out how to download it.My Ereader has been sitting there not being used for 3 months. Neither my husband or my self can figure it out. I was charged for it, but all I get is something in Japanese when we try to download.Going to have to get a a Ereader savvy friend over to help me.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 4:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh Lake, that is so frustrating! Japanese? No matter which reader, if you go to Kindleboards and post about it there may be someone who has used it or knows about it.. you definitely should be able to read a book you paid for!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, October 07, 2011 - 7:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
AWOL on the Appalachian Trail by David Miller was very interesting.. quite a society out and around the trail..

Not sure what is next.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, October 07, 2011 - 9:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Faith by Jennifer Haigh. It's told in the voice of a woman who's brother (a priest) has been accused of molesting a boy. I have loved all of her other books and this one has started off really well.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, October 07, 2011 - 9:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Starting I'm Saying Yes a gay romance by one of our kindleboard mods. Kind of a brokeback mountain without the pain, I think.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 6:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Escape by Barbara Delinsky. As Mamie mentioned awhile ago, it's not one of her best. It's okay, but not gripping by any means.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 1:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'm ready to be gripped! Not with current book.

Maybe when Stephen King's new book is released.. I've had it on pre-order forever but think release is probably Nov 22.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 6:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Still working on the Henrietta Lacks book, but I'm about 5 kindle pages away from being done w/Mark Bittman's short - "Cooking Solves Everything." DS finally got done listening to the audiobook on my Ipod, so I'm also going to be able to listen to something new -- now to figure out what the library has that I want! :-) FREE SHOPPING!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished the gay romance and it was up and down.. not THAT well written but I did care about the people in it.

Onward to a memoir: We Bought a Zoo: The Amazing True Story of a Young Family, a Broken Down Zoo, and the 200 Wild Animals That Change Their Lives Forever: A Memoir by Benjamin Mee.

I paid $.48 and it is up to $9.99 now.

Not lendable, unfortunately.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 8:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I just finished Sarah Donati's Into the Wilderness and enjoyed it very much. I want to download the next one, but think I will order it instead....it's $8 on Amazon for kindle, but only $3 on Thriftbook to buy (with shipping).

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 8:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished "Faith" which I really liked, especially growing up as a Catholic and going to parochial school, I could relate.

I'm now reading "Solomon's Oak" by Jo-Ann Mapson.

Prisonerno6

08-31-2002

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Prisonerno6 a private message Print Post    
Wickedly Charming, a Nook freebie from last week. Fairy tale characters cross over into our world; Prince Charming (who wants to be called Dave) is a middle-aged bookseller, and Snow White's evil stepmother, Mellie, is protesting the treatment of fairy tale characters in books. The meet at a book convention, where he shows her how to use the power of the written word to set the record straight. It's quite fun!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 10:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Pris, that does sound FUN and thanks to your rave, I`m going to see if I can find it for my KOBO and for how much... (I only buy the cheap stuff, refuse to pay full freight these days.)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Same with me, with a few exceptions.. I'm getting Stephen King's new book..have pre-ordered it months ago and FINALLY I see that Norman Mailer is on Kindle and I've long wanted to re-read The Executioner's Song and that big fat book will be $9.99 (not until next spring, but I pre-ordered.. the beauty is I lock in the $9.99 but if they drop the price, even for an hour, along the way, pre-orders get that price.)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Just dl'd Wickedly Charming for about $6.50 (tax incl).

Sea, that's cool about the preorders.

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
I haven't been here for a while and I wanted to know if any one has been using the kindle downloads from the library. This is an easy way to see if your library has the books you are looking for http://search.overdrive.com/classic/
The more books checked out the more books will become available to meet the demand! I think you will be surprised at the amount of books.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

WB SG! :-)
I have a KOBO ereader and I dl books from the library often. Depending on the book, there might be no wait time at all, or a long one. Sometimes I forget I'm waiting, til I get the notice it's avail in my email. LOL