TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 05, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 05, 2011 users admin

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, September 23, 2011 - 8:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
\Just ordered "Henrietta Lacks" from the library. Thanks for the tip!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 23, 2011 - 11:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I agree.. Henrietta Lacks is a very worthy read.. Teach and GAL, you won't be disappointed..

I've finished the book I was discussing above (I have a page or two of info about the editor to go) and really some of the authors are quite interesting and I may end up reading a book or two .. when available on Kindle..

And this book was free!

Queenie

07-09-2007

Friday, September 23, 2011 - 1:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Queenie a private message Print Post    
Just finished "god this is gonna hurt" by Nikki Sixx. Great book!

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Friday, September 23, 2011 - 2:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
The Kitchen House is one of my favorites! The author made you feel as if you were right there.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 23, 2011 - 4:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Queenie, have you read Nikki's The Heroin Diaries? That was very interesting too.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Started reading a memoir,

Swallow the Ocean: A Memoir by Laura M. Flynn.

I paid $2.99; it is now priced at $8.99 for Kindle. Does not look to be lendable.. daughter of mom who went "mad", custody battle, in 70s San Francisco.

Queenie

07-09-2007

Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Queenie a private message Print Post    
Yes seamonkey, I USED to own the book. Until I loadned it to someone and never got it back GRRRRRRR!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Bummer.. that was a good one.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, September 26, 2011 - 4:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
MAMEBLANCHE - I just finished "Woman to Woman" by Cathy Kelly and really enjoyed it! "Chick Lit" at it's best!

I ordered the book "used" through Amazon, and when it came, it was one book but had 2 books in it, so I also recd "She's the One" at the same time!

Thanks so much for the introduction to Cathy Kelly!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, September 26, 2011 - 7:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yay Reenie, I do so love my Cathy Kelly's and just wish she wrote faster, although she does average one book a year. LOL. She's got quite a few out so that should keep you busy til her next one. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 1:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Swallow the Ocean, which turned out to be well-written and even timely in terms of frustration with being unable to get someone to take help (a schizoprenic, in this case) and yet untimely in that today the father would not have had to fight for years to remove his daughters from a questionable environment.

Read a Kindle Single by Stephen King, Mile 81 and now reading 2:46: Aftershocks: Storied from the Japan Earthquakes, which is quite good.. short, 1 or 2 page essays or statements from many people who were in Japan or related to Japan.. also some photos.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 10:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Read Tina Fey's "Bossypants" in one sitting. It was an ok read, but I found it kind of pointless and disjointed - like she needed to strike while the iron is hot in her career and get those publishing dollars, but really didn't have that much she wanted to say.

On to "The King's Speech," which is based on the diaries of Lionel Logue (his grandson found them in his father's belongings and a cousin's belongings after being contacted for background by the producers of "The King's Speech" movie, which was already in production).

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 10:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and relishing every delicious, imaginative word.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 7:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I would have no interest in Tina Fey, even if the book was free (but of course I'd download it if free, just in case.

I have The King's Speech on my Kindle (or do I? I intend to soon.. hmm maybe I'm waiting for a price drop or to see if it will be available from the library on Kindle. But, I want to read it!!)

The Night Circus sounds like one I want to read as well. Thanks for mentioning it, since I hadn't previously heard of it.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 10:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo. I know there's a movie about it, but haven't seen it yet. Loving and laughing my way through the first few pages. Seems like a kid's book, but what the heck, so far, it's a fun romp.

Just finished Just Way You Are and Danny's Gift, both by Barbara Freethy, back to back, on my Kobo eReader. Loved them! Especially Danny's Gift. What an extraordinary story, had me on pins and needles throughout, and had no idea how it would turn out. Totally unpredictable and a fabulous, emotional read.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 11:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It is a kid's book, but from everything I have ever heard it is a very sweet book. I think I have it but need to dig it out...

Sounds like you and your KOBO are a good pair, Mame!

Do people give their KOBOs names?

My current K3 is named Lafayettem after the character of the same name in True Blood. Old Kindle was Bailey,named for Miranda Bailey in Grey's Anatomy.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 9:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Sea you made me LOL! :-) I've named our car Goldie, (guess what colour it is? haha) So... since I've got a rosy-pink leather cover for my Kobo eReader, I guess I could call it... Pinky or Rosy.

Yesterday when I was at the hair salon waiting for my turn, the lady sitting near me asked about my ereader and I gave her a quick tutorial on it. She was fascinated and I believe she'll be buying one. I explained that the newer ones have way more bells and whistles, like colour and touch, but I'm not someone who runs to the next great thing just because it's new.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And color is harder to read.. until someone perfects and comes out with color e-ink display (Amazon has licensed and is working on that but Bezos says the technology isn't quite there..)

With Kindles, each device has a "name" given to it by Amazon so you can choose where to send a book or subscription or whatever.. but they just start with "Lynn's Kindle" and then "Lynn's second Kindle".. But lots of us do change that name, which is allowed.. so at the top of mine when I display that line it says "Lafayette.. Lynn's fifth Kindle" this replaced my fourth Kindle.. just did the swap recently due to a small crack.

It is fun sharing your experience with others.. some people are curious but they get excited when they see a reader "in the wild" and I think it becomes something they can envision using.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, September 30, 2011 - 8:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
...'in the wild' Sea, I luv your flair with words!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 30, 2011 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh I don't think I coined the term.. but got it from kindleboards.. in early days people would list when they saw a Kindle "in the wild", when it wasn't so common.

Oh, I was interested last night.. I was on kindleboards and they have ads there, and there was a nice banner ad for KOBO (as I've always written it) but I think it said "Kobo". Nice ad.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 02, 2011 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
2:46: Aftershocks: Stories from the Japan Earthquakes was quite good!!

Then I read a free book that was pretty bad.. Sarah's Diary by Tshombe Kelly. Don't bother to go there..

Now starting AWOL on the Appalachian Trail by David Miller.. so far, liking it.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, October 02, 2011 - 3:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Eyes Wide Open by Andrew Gross. It was sent to me by Booktrib to review. The story is shades of the Charles Manson murders.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 3:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Finished "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls. This is a very good book, had me laughing out loud and shaking my head a number of times. It's amazing how these children manage to succeed in the face of their parents' alcoholism, eccentricities and stunning, I mean MINDBLOWING level of selfishness. The most amazing part of the story is that it is told without the vaguest tinge of bitterness. Strongly recommend!

Also finished "The King's Speech." It was good but didn't really add anything significant to the story that was told through the movie, IMO.

Waiting for some orders to come in from the library, in the meantime I'm reading Allison Weir's "Mary Queen of Scots and the Murder of Lord Darnley." It's one of the few books on her I've read that defends the Queen against accusations that she murdered him (I love Weir, but her defense of Mary rings hollow).

Marysafan

08-07-2000

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 8:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marysafan a private message Print Post    
Finished reading Tim Russert's book titled "The Wisdom of our Fathers". Loved it. It is a compilation some of the letters he received after writing "Big Russ".

Also finished Richard Marcinko's book "Green Team." Liked it a lot. I love his sense of humor and the way he actually talks to the reader in asides like "So gentle reader, you are probably wondering how I came to that conclusion." or "HEY! HEY! No skipping ahead to the next action sequence. Pay attention. This stuff is important and in the words of my instructors "You will see this material again."

The really mindblowing thing about this book is that it is a fictional story with a whole bunch of truth in it. It talked about the military's refusal to accept the possibly that there was an international terrorist group that was organizing to wreck havoc on the west, and how the intelligence organizations were all "stove pipe" in nature and that the lack of co-operation and information sharing was a serious flaw in US intelligence gathering.

I immediately turned to the front of the book, and when I discovered that he actually wrote this in 1995, I put my face in my hands and wept. Because if HE knew this, then there were others who also knew it. 9/11 should have never had to happen. Shame on them all!

I am now reading Garrison Keillor's "Pontoon" which simply a hoot and half. More Lake Wobegon stories. I simply love them. And somewhere in there is whole discussion about religion that gets one to thinking.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 9:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Jane Lynch's Happy Accidents and enjoying it very much.