TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 19, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: How are you reading it (reading on various devices)?: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 19, 2011 users admin

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
I like my Kindle, but so far I am still reading on paper a lot. Most of it is because I am so into the library routine....and I don't have to charge the batteries in paper (I got a bit annoyed on vacation when the low battery warning came on....I thought it was supposed to last about a month. Realized I wasn't turning off the wireless, which was eating up my battery power!)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 8:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, the wireless affects battery life. I just charge mine most nights so never let it get low. But I do leave whispernet on so my blog loads with new stuff.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 8:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
You charge pretty much every night, Sea? I do that with my iPhone but I haven't considered it with the Kobo. So the whispernet pushes stuff onto the Kindle. That's cool.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 4:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, magazines, newspapers, blogs and books ordered are pushed. I have the new Stephen King on order and on Kindle release date it will just arrive..

Actually they also push software updates too.

I just have the charger clipped to the side of my nightstand and it runs up on the stand and most nights when I stop reading I plug it in.. not always but usually. And I almost never turn whispernet off.

I keep my ipod plugged in too, except when I take it with me. And I keep my laptop plugged in.. Guess I'm just plugged in!

But oddly I don't do that with my phone, but it remains in my purse, and turned off, 95% of the time anyway.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Friday, July 29, 2011 - 11:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
iPad now has a Nook app. And you can transfer your books to your iPad and read them on either device.

Buba1113

07-20-2009

Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Buba1113 a private message Print Post    
I have a Kindle, a Nook, and an iPad. I love my Kindle and my iPad. I could, however, do without my Nook. I do like the Free Fridays on the Nook. They offer lots of good free books and I also like to the reading in the stores as well. With Borders closing, will the Kobo go on sale or continue to be sold elsewhere? Does anybody know? Not that I need one. lol

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 8:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
In Canada, KOBO is supported through Indigo Books & Music, which is hopefully still going strong. And there is a KOBO store separate, I think from the Borders store online.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobo_eReader

Heh.. well here is an answer..

http://www.mediabistro.com/ebooknewser/kobos-response-on-the-borders-liquidation-were-not-closing-so-please-stop-asking-for-a-discount-on-the-kobo-touch_b13972

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Amazon announced today that they'll have a daily deal for Kindle books, too. The one today was $1.39. You can get it daily via twitter or you can see it by CLICK HERE.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 9:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Canada AM TV program compares the best e-readers on the Market:

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/CanadaAM/20110811/foran-ebooks-ereaders-110811/

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, August 29, 2011 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Interesting! I think Kindle is supposed to get the library lending function soon, but haven't been following that closely since I am unlikely to use it. I thought it was supposed to be Sept but we are awfully close. And even so, it isn't a known function so we don't know how it will work.. as in with how many libraries.

As for the impact of ebook sales.

Awhile back, Amazon announced that since April 1 they had sold 105 e-books for every 100 printed books, including printed books (both hardcover and paperback books) for which there is no electronic edition. The comparison excludes free e-books. Not sure of the date of this article.. I tore it out of the newspaper.

But in July (earlier) they said that e=book sales had outstripped hardcover sales.

OK.. my article was in a print newspaper.. from AP but there are numerous versions online..

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/20/technology/20amazon.html?_r=1

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, August 29, 2011 - 11:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Sea I was thinking of you when I posted that link. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, August 29, 2011 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Of course that is just for Amazon, not necessarily other organizations.

I've meet a few Nook owners recently. One was the chaplin at one hospital who I happened to see every Tuesday when I was with a patient during her chemo.. and the chaplain saw my Kindle so we started talking.. she had and loved her color Nook but was very distressed with erratic performance. I suggested that I knew Amazon Kindle support would sometimes help with a softeware upgrade. I had no idea about Nook but she told me the next week that she had called her CS and they DID help her and she was much happier!

Another woman I met in passing at another hospital when I went for my mammogram.. she was reading on a reader and I inquired and it was her Nook. She said she had had so much trouble and they had replaced her Nook SEVEN times (I've heard similar stories of Kindles being replaced.. frustrating of course but still nice that they do replace them).

So she bought a Kindle. Gave the new Nook to her daughter. They went on a cruise together and the Nook died mid-cruise which didn't make the daughter happy. But they share them and are able to access both libraries of their purchased books between them.

I'm getting a replacement for my K3 since it had some glitches and the most recent one was that it wasn't getting 3G wireless.. I slid in under the one year warranty by an hour. And that is if you count when I got it, not when it was shipped or when it was ordered. It still would have been covered, since I bought an extended warranty. But I think this was easier. I have 30 days to return my current K3 with a free shipping label and probably just using the same box from the new one.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, August 29, 2011 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I don't think I've seen a Nook Touch yet.. I tend not to bother readers with e-readers, since many people on Kindleboards report that they have a hard time reading in public since they get so many questions. Personally I have no problem with questions and while I love reading, I do have enough alone time for that, so I still value interacting with (most) people even more. And so many of my interactions come while sitting in waiting rooms with people who really may need to interact to get their minds off of cancer, or they need info or reassurance about resources.

My latest patient had been thinking of buying a Kindle and seeing mind pushed her over the edge :-) and she said she is also going to buy the Canadian Tenors CD after hearing mine and then going to Youtube and listening more.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, August 29, 2011 - 3:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
The sharing with the library that has me stoked is the audiobooks! I usually have at least one or two on my Ipod, and if I can get them on my Kindle free from Overdrive, I'll be able to listen all the time! My Jeep is so old it doesn't have a way of connecting w/my Ipod, so Kindle will be perfect. (Yup - we tried the radio waves and the tape connector - both have died.)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, August 29, 2011 - 8:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Can you LISTEN to audiobooks on Kindle as well?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, August 29, 2011 - 9:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
HECK YEAH!!! Anything I have on Audible.com can be transferred to my Kindle by the Audible Manager. My son loves it b/c I've got all of "Peter and the Starcatcher" series on Audible, so he always has one available on his kindle. His Ipod Shuffle is on the fritz, so it's the only way he can listen w/out using CDs.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, August 29, 2011 - 11:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I've never done an audible book on mine but it sure is a nice feature.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 8:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I don't think I can listen to audiobooks on my 1st generation KOBO and I doubt the more recent touch-screen ones have it either. BUT I will certainly look into it. I was in no hurry to upgrade. I do NOT believe in upgrading tech stuff for the sake of keeping up with the Joneses BUT if the newer one can provide written AND audio, well whoo-hoo, that WOULD be worth the upgrade.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 2:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yeah, who cares about the Jonses.. but if there is something cool that you want, then .. there you go.

LOL but then at times I like to be ahead of some Jonses.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The recent touch screen Kobos don't have audio either.

I finally saw a Kindle and I love the design. I think it is easier to buy books for the Kobo though (in Canada) and the Kobo is nice. I'm enjoying it.

I wonder how hard it would be to create an ereading device that would read text with more expression? I just find the price of audio books to be insanely high beyond reason.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 4:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I think it would be doable.. not sure if there are licenses they don't want to pay for the realistic voices..

Though many people are using the Kindle robot voices at times when they want to keep reading but they are otherwise occupied, like driving or cooking or whatever. I tried out the "Voice Guide" today that reads menus, selectable items and descriptions. I didn't need it but it could be useful for some people.

I agree that audio books seem to be overpriced in general.

The robot voice option on Kindle can also be used with the sound down, to turn pages for the reader.. sort of an off brand use, but it can work.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 10:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I always figured audio books are more expensive because the cost of creating them has to be pretty high. You've got recording studio time, actor fees, and just the sheer number of hours to create unabridged versions - and I can't imagine they always get it right the first time. :-)

Of course, when you figure that once it's recorded all they do is copy the file - that justification goes right out the window. It's also the reason I LOVE Audible's member program. Whenever I get 2 or 3 books that I really want on audible (for permanent use - not just library), I get a membership for $15, get a book a month until I have what I want, and then cancel it. Great price!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 5:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I can't help compare them to the cost of a movie on DVD. For example, consider the cost of making the movie "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" vs. the cost of getting the guy to read it out loud and it's very hard for me to understand why the audio book would be so much more expensive than the movie DVD.

The Audible deal sounds pretty good.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 10:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
How many people went to see the movie Harry Potter vs. how many people will buy the audio book?

The Audible deal is the best I've found - and I've been listening to audiobooks for over 15 years (really started when DS was a wee laddie). I used to use RecordedBooks.com because they had rentals, but once things went from tapes to CDs and then downloads, Audible had the better deals.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, September 19, 2011 - 3:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finally, Amazon is beta testing library lending via overdrive, in a few libraries..

http://ebooks.kcls.org

http://spl.lib.overdrive.com

But there will be 11,000 libraries involved:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=200747550&tag=vglnk-c1533-20