TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 23, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 23, 2011 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 5:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Teach, still reading this, but it really is a good collection!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 7:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Good to know. I just finished Night of the Fox, and started The Black Ice, but I'll start reading the essays, too. Thanks!

Escapee

06-15-2004

Monday, September 12, 2011 - 7:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I finished reading Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt. Not spectacular, kind of a slow, feel good read.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, September 12, 2011 - 8:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Escapee, I loved that book. It was very sweet.

I'm reading Swamplandia! by Karen Russell. Great writing.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, September 12, 2011 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Reading Jennifer Grant's bio, Good Stuff. She's the daughter of Cary Grant and Dyan Cannon. The tone is different from any other bio I've read. It's got an intimate yet intellectual feel to it.

Marysafan

08-07-2000

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 8:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marysafan a private message Print Post    
I just finished reading "Tallgrass" by Sandra Dallas.

This book takes place during World War II and tells the tale of life in a small Colorado town that gets a detention camp for Japanese Americans and how it affects the town. There is also a murder in the town so there is a mystery aspect. It's sort of a combination mystery/historical fiction. I found it to be a very good read and look forward to reading more of her work.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 6:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Just finished Mockingjay, the third book of the Hunger Games trilogy. I loved the series, but I agree with those who liked the first book best. The writing seemed to get a bit darker and more cynical as the series went on. And it is not the characters or even the story itself that I am talking about...it's the actual writing. Not sure what the author's timetable was for the 3 books, but it seemed like she spoke with a different point of view as it went on.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 7:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
It definitely got darker, but I liked the change. The progression was logical, and in some ways it reminded me of the changes in Harry Potter (although it started in a darker place).

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 11:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That sounds good, Mary!!

After reading the essays about the Hunger Games trilogy I can just imagine all that was on her mind while writing the books, they got darker but the characters were seeing more of what was going on not just with the totalitarian leader but also that there wasn't a clear rightness to the leader of the revolution, Coin, who was really as power hungry as Snow.

===

I did finish the collection and recommend it for anyone teaching with the trilogy, or who does want to think more about the issues, or maybe librarians or parents..

And just starting Clear Blue Sky, a novel set around 9/11 about a cop but also written BY a cop who was trapped and rescued, so could be interesting. So far he's not the most exquisite writer but not bad.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 7:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
I guess I felt like it seemed logical for the characters to get to a darker place, but it didn't seem logical for the writing itself to go there. I don't know how to explain the distinction I feel between the two, but I felt like she lost what I most appreciated about her writing. It's weird for me to not care that a series has ended, especially when I was so engrossed in it early on.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 8:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
The Little Women Letters by Gabrielle Donnelly. BORING and forcing myself to get through it!!!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 9:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Finished The Help as I refused to see the movie until I had read it. Now I'm yearning to try caramel cake!

Egbok

07-13-2000

Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 11:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Kappy, I'm almost finished reading The Help and like you, I refuse to see the movie until I finish it.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 10:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Just ordered "The Help" from the library - I'm 639th in the queue LOL!! Also ordered Philippa Gregory's biography on the Woodville and Tudor women "The Women of the Cousins' War."

Finished a biography of Gorgeous George, that was a waste of time. Now read Doris Roberts' autobiography "Are You Hungry Dear?" It's a hoot and has some good recipes in it. She sounds like a fun lady and a dear friend to the people who know her.

Aurora

11-24-2006

Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Aurora a private message Print Post    
I just finished The Paris Wife, a novel based on fact about Hadley Richardson Hemingway, Ernest Hemingway's first wife. I enjoyed it. When I returned it to the library the librarian told me she picked it for our next book club read.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 10:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Clear Blue Sky.. turned out it was written by a husband and wife who, cutely, write as one entity, so an initial from each and their last name.

It took until WAY into the book to reach 9/11, which was good, because by then the reader sort of knows a bunch of people, relationships, backgrounds before they are catapulted into that day. I could have done without actual scripture so much but didn't mind that several of the cops would discuss religion.

And now starting an anthology by a bunch of writers, How I Wrote My First Book.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 9:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey, that anthology sounds interesting!! I will look for it.

Read "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" and watched the movie (I heard "Jean" on the radio a few weeks back, gave me an itch I needed to scratch). I like the movie better than the book (the book is a tiny little thing - not much longer than a short story).

About to start "A Tale of Two Lives, The Susan LeFevre Fugitive Story" by Susan LeFevre. I know NOTHING about this case. Given that it's told from the fugitive's point of view, I'll look around after I read it for a broader perspective.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 11:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I remember reading that book a LONG time ago.. but not too much else about it.. the movie is what is more in my mind.

GAL.. I'm still reading this book.. not getting as much reading in, well I guess having to put by best and only kitty, Critter, to sleep this week has me wishing for a book that would pull me in more, just needing the distraction, and this one, while it is interesting, doesn't always to that..

In the past, when authors write about their lives, but especially about the process of writing for them, I've been fascinated. Stephen King, Anne Lamott, Amy Tan, and any number of others.. I'm blanking but I've even enjoyed books on their writing process or life when I haven't really read their actual books.. Maxine Hong Kingston telling of days in Hawai'i and defying firefighters to return to her home in the Oakland Hills (East bay area in N. Calif), though that really wasn't a wise thing to do.. these authors aren't quite at that level, I suppose.

But back to this book, it IS interesting and it is FREE for Kindle currently.. and even if you don't have a Kindle if you have any device that can use the free Kindle App (including your computer), then you could read it without a kindle.. and the book is also loanable.. but I can only loan it once and since it is free, one might as well get and own one's own copy since no trees will be destroyed in "creation" of that copy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O0U7UK/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

As you can see the paperback is $15.95 at Amazon and I wouldn't pay that price for this particular title.

Free Kindle App: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_ipad_mkt_lnd?docId=1000493771

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 12:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Oh, Seamonkey - I didn't know about your kitty I've kind of been distracted with family issues lately. Boy my heart hurts for you, I know exactly where you are right now and I wish I could wish the hurt away. I know this isn't the first time you've had to deal with this, but I also know it won't be the last time. Animals fill so many vacant spots in our lives with love and appreciation. I can wish that you find your next animal love soon and that it helps heal the pain of losing Critter. Never forgotten though - always loved and missed.

Topic? Books are great, but nothing is better than a loving kitty. Even (may especially) when they park themselves between you and your book.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 1:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Ah, I just posted in my folder only, so it wasn't really out there. She was 21.5 years old (well consider that when I adopted her she was said to be 1 year old.. she wasn't telling but she had been nursing kittens) So over 20 years is a long time. I agree.. kitty almost always trumps book or computer.. I think of times I was "too busy" maybe filling out forms or doing taxes.. but I tried to put it in perspective and usually would just make room for her.. all 6 lb 7 oz as she was recently. At least her symptoms came on quickly and it was a clear choice.. see my folder for more, since I suppose this is really about books!

(and I do love them too, but they don't purr)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 8:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished The Black Ice (Michael Connelly) and enjoyed it as much as I did Lincoln Lawyer. Now on to Incredible Life of Henrietta Lacks. I'm also about 2 hours away from being done w/the audio version of The Kitchen House.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Teach, The Incredible Life of Henrietta Lacks was one of the most unique and fascinating books I've ever read. Enjoy!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 11:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I really liked The Kitchen House.

I'm reading Mother & Other Liars and I can't think of the author. I'm liking it but I got the Jane Lynch book and The Night Circus today and I want to read both even more.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 11:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I really liked The Kitchen House.

I'm reading Mother & Other Liars and I can't think of the author. I'm liking it but I got the Jane Lynch book and The Night Circus today and I want to read both even more.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Friday, September 23, 2011 - 6:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
MameBlanche - The Incredible Life of Henrietta Lacks was really amazing and the fact that it is a true story blows the mind!

Still waiting for "Woman to Woman" to be delivered from Amazon. Couldn't get it on my Kindle or the library but found it used on Amazon. Should be here very soon.