TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 09, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 09, 2011 users admin

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, September 05, 2011 - 3:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Coming Up For Air by Patti Callahan Henry. I love her books, all set in the South.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Monday, September 05, 2011 - 4:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading The Lilac Bus by Maeve Binchy.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, September 05, 2011 - 6:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Makkie, I read that years ago, I think I've collected everything Binchy's ever written. I just love her stories.

ETA, currently reading Nicholas Sparks' novel, Safe Haven and quite enjoying it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, September 05, 2011 - 11:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Book I'm reading is Escape from the World Trade Center (Ebook short) by Leslie Haskin. Tells of her escape from offices in Tower 1 and the aftermath.. PTSD..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished that short book and it was the first I'd read a memoir about 9.11 that covered such detail, which was very real and hard to read.. plus her emotions.

She was on the 35th floor of tower 1.. thus had a shorter escape route (not that it was at ALL easy!.. very traumatic) and that was the first tower hit and the second to fall so a bit longer to get out.

She actually got out, thanks to another person, got on a ferry.. (she kept insisting she had to find an ATM to get money and the other woman told her she was crazy, they needed to get away and that they wouldn't be charging, which they were not doing.. but they did get right on and then had to wait a long time for a PATH train.. while they were waiting the second tower did fall).. Anyway, different and interesting.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 3:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I'm still stuck on Kristen Hannah books. Read True Colors and Between Sisters this weekend. I like them because in my always on the go lifestyle, they are fast, easy reads. However, they have a little too much consistency, always a family issue, always a tragedy, always the tragedy works out for all parties involved. Every book.

Next on my list is Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt. Tell me about Maeve Binchy. I love that strong Irish name: Maeve.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 7:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Escapee, Maeve Binchy, is, as you suspected, Irish and her books are quite engaging. Early book, Circle of Friends (I think) was made into a movie.

Anyway some later books include locations and some characters from earlier.. I suspect there are websites that give ordering.. but they also can stand alone.

I loved Evening Class.. but not just that one.

Rosamunde Pilcher is also an excellent writer along similar lines. I think she has stopped writing books (early book is The Shell Seekers) but it seems that her son, Robin Pilcher is now writing. I just snagged a couple of his to try out.

Engaging locations and characters..

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 12:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Sea & Escapee & Makkie, another similar Irish writer to Binchy and Pilcher is CATHY KELLY. I'm a HUGE fan and highly recommend her. Also, about 10 years ago I met Binchy and her husband Gordon Snell, at a few literary media events. Lovely couple.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 10:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I finished If You Believe last night by Kristin Hannah.......meh, not one of her better ones. I am goign to read Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt then I want to read all the Fanny Flagg books and Sue Monks. I am in that kind of a mood right now.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 5:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
MAMEBLANCHE - can you suggest one of Cathy Kelly's books? I'm a sucker for Irish writers. THANKS!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 9:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Hiya Reenie, I'm pretty OCD when it comes to authors I like, I prefer to read their books in the order they were first published. So having said that... here is her first book:

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 9:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
And here is the link to her website, http://www.cathykelly.com
If you click on the library link at her site, her books are listed most recent (last) to first.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 7:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the recommendation, MameB. I have added her to my long long list of TBR.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
:-)

Reenie

06-24-2006

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 10:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
MAME B - I will start there! Thanks so much!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Enjoy Reenie! Let me know what you think of it.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished Coming Up For Air and got my review up.

I'm starting Bent Road by Lori Roy.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 1:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Mamie, do they assign you books to review or do you choose your own. I've got one I read last week and I'd love your opinion. I found it disturbing, but engrossing. Another critic called it haunting, and I'd concur. Hand Me Down World by Lloyd Jones (of New Zealand) This is literature, it's not the typical novel that I prefer. But this story will stay with me for along time... I do hope you and others read it, I'd love to hear what you guys think of it.

click here to see the book on Amazon dot com

From the author of the beloved, bestselling Mister Pip: a novel about a mother's search for her stolen child. A novel you can't stop thinking about.

A woman washes up on a beach in Sicily. She has come from Tunisia to find her son, taken from her when he was just days old and stolen away to Berlin. With nothing but her maid's uniform and a homemade knife stashed in a plastic bag, she relies on strangers — some generous, some malevolent — to guide her passage north. These strangers tell of their encounters with her, building her story in fragments of memory, prejudice and sentiment into a moving work of sacrifice and love. Hand Me Down World tells an epic story about the courage of a mother, the versions of truth to which we accommodate our lives, and love's ultimate power to redeem us.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 1:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
They are going to send us books but they haven't yet and they encourage us to review whatever we are reading. So far, the 3 books I've reviewed are mine.

That sounds like an interesting book, Mame.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 1:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Maybe the b'day fairy will send it to you a couple of months early... ;) I don't care if it's a positive or negative review, I'm just interested in your opinion.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Just finished Catching Fire, the second Hunger Games book. Really enjoyed it, though hate the ending. Yeah, I know it was setting up for the 3rd book, but I personally like every book in a series standing on its own.

Katniss drives me crazy sometimes but she is a good character. In fact, all of the characters are well written. I think what I enjoy most is that none are perfect, but most are good people. I would like the author to next write another series of the same stories from the point of view of Peeta. Or it would even be interesting from the point of view of Haymitch or Gale or Prim.

For those that like audio books, the narrator of this series is really good. I keep feeling her voice in my head even when I am not listening to it. Starting on Mockingjay, the 3rd book, now.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm really interested to see how they portray it in the movie. I hope it's as good as the book. I loved Hunger Games and though I enjoyed the other two books, they were not as good for me.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 6:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'm reading a book, right now, that has essays by a bunch of other YA authors, writing ABOUT The Hunger Games trilogy..

The Girl Who Was on Fire: Your Favorite Authors on Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games Triology. and they are quite interesting. Would be especially good if someone was learding or in discussions or teaching, using these books.

Best not read until after you have finished the trilogy.

Teachmichigan, I don't think it is lendable but if it is ... mine is available. $4.49 on Kindle or for any Kindle app.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 7:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Sea! It sounds perfect for school. :-) Tons of my kids have read the trilogy, and those essays might help them see how to write about literature rather than just summarizing it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 8:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
OH yes, it would be perfect for that. So far they are really analyzing things. And some comparisons to books the kids have probably read (that I haven't)..